SONY UBP-X800 ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Quite disconcerting to read there are possible disc quality issues out there. These UHD discs aren’t cheap! I wonder how many times a consumer is successful in returning a disc to place of purchase because of disc manufacture issues?

On a separate and general note, can I ask X800 owners, in set up/screen settings, regarding YCbCR, is it best to have on auto setting, which it currently is with me, or to select 444, 422 etc? As a “wet behind the ears” with this I have been trying to get an understanding of 4:4:4 being uncompressed etc but thought hell, put it out to those more knowledgeable than me.... The players connected to an E7 OLED.

Finally, can I ask, when buying a UHD disc that has HDR. I’m personally finding that it nether the less won’t state what format of hdr it’s from. So for example the only uhd disc I own “The Revenant” I cant see anywhere on the packaging if it Hdr10 or DV or HLG.......same with the contemplation of purchasing Batman Trilogy uhd. Again I’m green with all this. Do you not need to know?
If it says HDR on it but not Dolby Vision (can be just a small logo on the back where audio information is) then it's safe to assume it's HDR10 only, the only exception I know of is Westworld which is DV but the packaging doesn't say so.
Also, I have YCbCR on auto and I think many others do too and for most other settings as well.

Ok thanks for that Ryan. I think there are a few others. According to that a Vincent Teoh guy on YouTube Spider-Man HC and A Transformers is DV to name but a couple but I'll assume most, Batman as such, is HD10 then

Do you have the latest firmware ending in .0178 ?
Yes I have.

Try a new HDMI-cable. It might be the solution.
If you buy any chance know someone with a Playstation 4 Pro, or Xbox One S, the cable they got supplies should be able to make the test.
I have a PS4 Pro and tried the cable. same result. I tried a few different cables and all with the same result.
The cable I now use is this one https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-5ft-18Gbps-28AWG-PlayStation/dp/B0031APPM4/
Should it do the job?

The Interstellar screen freeze mentioned sounds like a layer change problem.
I played to movie again and now it plays normal. That is that i have removed the disc and inserted it again. I hope it was a onetime thing.

I initially played Dunkirk UHD through on my UB700 without a problem. Next play it started pixelating and screen breakup plus weird pulsing effect on the soundtrack. Gave it a good clean with mild washing up liquid and water (although it was unmarked and blemish free when examined with a torch at various angles) and it then played fine again.
What did you use as liquid? If have tried only water.
I have some wipes to clean your glasses. But I think there is some alcohol in it. Don't know if it does any good to the discs?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
One thing I noticed is that from the Nolan 4K box the Dunkirk movie is the only one that has printed IMAX Sequences. Maybe its the combination X800 and IMAX not that good.
20180107_151246_LI.jpg

I have some wipes to clean your glasses. But I think there is some alcohol in it. Don't know if it does any good to the discs?
Surcare sensitive washing up liquid. I reckon if it's kind to hands it's kind to UHDs too... :)
Water on it's own won't degrease.

I wouldn't use anything with alcohol in it, far more likely to affect the plastic discs but obviously OK on glass. Although it probably would need neat cask strength malt whisky to do the damage I'd be scared of. Scope here for someone to do some comparative tests. "We soaked a UHD in neat malt whisky and it dissolved into a soggy mess before our eyes" :)

Last edited:
tada!!
Disconnecting the internet from the player and it works :facepalm::facepalm:
Why?
Probably trying to get stuff from the net which isn't available. Or you need an SD card installed to download the stuff to which the player may be trying to do. Have you got one in your player?

Did some further digging.
I know have reestablished the internet connection, but I have to turn IPv6 off!!
If I leave IPv6 on, then the device is turning it self off.

Probably trying to get stuff from the net which isn't available. Or you need an SD card installed to download the stuff to which the player may be trying to do. Have you got one in your player?
SD card in the X800?

One thing I noticed is that from the Nolan 4K box the Dunkirk movie is the only one that has printed IMAX Sequences. Maybe its the combination X800 and IMAX not that good.
View attachment 962333
I'd be about 100% certain that reference is to the aspect ratio of the contents (note, not the encoded signal) being different for the IMAX content, and that is true of many such titles. And nothing more "sinister".

Interesting to note that the recently announced Panasonic top range displays wont come with Dolby Vision out of the box. Hedging their bets on DV by the look of it.
For all those that were disappointed the x800 wouldn't get a DV update......

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Player | UBP-X700 with Dolby vision, 270 euro
d05e3b61c651e69036270e4e6ff38e5d

Interesting how the numbering and price point would indicate a lower range model yet it's getting dolby vision.

Happy with my X800 despite no Dolby Vision, so will definitely be a while before i look to replace it.
There would need to be a lot more DV discs available that interest me too.

Happy with my X800 despite no Dolby Vision, so will definitely be a while before i look to replace it.
There would need to be a lot more DV discs available that interest me too.
Same here. I generally upgrade my TV every 4 years so I'm sure my next one will have dolby vision support in which case I'll grab a DV supported player then but for now the X800 does everything I need it to

Yes I have.

I have a PS4 Pro and tried the cable. same result. I tried a few different cables and all with the same result.
The cable I now use is this one https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-5ft-18Gbps-28AWG-PlayStation/dp/B0031APPM4/
Should it do the job?

I played to movie again and now it plays normal. That is that i have removed the disc and inserted it again. I hope it was a onetime thing.

I used a bit of dish washing liquid, diluted down and gently cleaned the disc. No issues after that, and Dunkirk played fine.

Same here. I generally upgrade my TV every 4 years so I'm sure my next one will have dolby vision support in which case I'll grab a DV supported player then but for now the X800 does everything I need it to

I’ve got a DV, but from the 4k discs i own, only one is DV, so I can live with HDR10 on that for now.

Yeah, BOTH the TV AND the player need to support DV for it to work, right? Sorry, Noob's question.

I'm in need of advise here. Have bought the x800 but can still return it. Have no uhd discs yet but have dv capable tv. Would it be wise to return x800 and wait for x700 or go i.e. Panasonic with dv instead? Or keep x800?
I read that x700 will support dv but not hdr10+..
New uhds released- can they support both dv and hdr10 or is it just one of them? (Will there be two different releases im the latter case? Guess that wouldn't be very benificial from a economical perspectie..)

Current DV releases support HDR10.

I would expect that to continue in the future.

As understand it, HDR10 is a minimum requirement for every disc. However, unless the X800 was an absolute bargain, I'd return and wait for the 700. I'm returning my LG for that one

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom