SONY UBP-X800 ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Mine's going back to Amazon as the tray refuses to open!
They are arranging a replacement.
I must have got one of the Friday afternoon batch at the Sony factory!

Last edited:
could someone confirm that it will be able to stream AVI, MP4 and MKV files from my NAS please?

Cant seem to find a site that lists AVI as supported file format but surely it does?
Only just got mine this afternoon and I'm having varied results. Not had time to really test what is and what isn't working yet, Suffice to say everything that played on my Oppo 103D, some work and some don't. The network browing is very quick though!

Sorry if i've missed a comment but do other owners get uhd from Amazon or just 1080p (displayed on pause) and YouTube?
No YouTube or uhd on Amazon with a 32Mb connection.

regarding usb playback, whats the largest external HD this can read, i have 5tb sitting and wondering if this would read it? nothing i can find on the specs.

Got mine delivered from Currys on Sunday.
Inferno didn't work at first, but once I did the update all was well.
Haven't had much chance to try it out yet, but so far so good. I was surprised by its weight. Much heavier than my old BDP S790.
IMG_2156.JPG

just picked one up from Currys too. For some reason they gave me two 2M HDMI cables priced at £89.99 for free and took £10 off the player.

I know they make their money on cables so its making me suspicious that their is a price drop tomorrow or something as the receipt says £299 for the player, £89.99 for one cable and another free. I reserved it from the website and it does show £399 still.

Im not complaining really as ill just stick the cables on ebay and get something back from them. Ive got the ones i need anyway.

Well not a great start. Half hour into star trek beyond and the player froze up. Wouldn't respond to anything so had to unplug it. Playing it again now and will see if any other issues

Well not a great start. Half hour into star trek beyond and the player froze up. Wouldn't respond to anything so had to unplug it. Playing it again now and will see if any other issues

I think the player may need an update out of the box have read on thread a few pages back may help

Was the first thing i done. It's all updated before I played a disc

Oh okay worth a try also you using 18gbs hdmi cables over on the oppo 203 forum people are saying it helps issues.
Been as this player and that one use the same chip it may help also possibly

Hi, has anyone had the grey noise interference screen when stopping a 4k disc?

I'm getting this happening but only some of the time. Discovered If i toggle between my devices, my amp seems to force fix the issue.

Hi, has anyone had the grey noise interference screen when stopping a 4k disc?

I'm getting this happening but only some of the time. Discovered If i toggle between my devices, my amp seems to force fix the issue.

That sounds like a handshaking issue on your system. What is your output resolution set to?

That sounds like a handshaking issue on your system. What is your output resolution set to?
Everything under screen settings set to Auto and have tried 4k Upscale both Auto1 and Auto2 but makes no difference. Using a premium hdmi cable too.

I got my UBP-X800 from the Sony shop on Monday after reading good reports about it. It has surprised me, disc drive is very quiet, the response to UI is instant, very easy to set up & there have been no HDMI handshake problems with my LG 65E6 OLED TV or Cambridge Audio 751R avr. I have used both HDMI O/Ps direct to TV & AVR & after adjusting lip/sync on the AVR everything is working perfectly (havent used any APPs yet).
I was originally thinking I'd get the Oppo to replace my Cambridge Audio 751BD universal player but after reading of problems & the cost of the Oppo I decided to get a cheaper ultra HD player & keep the 751BD for SACD playback. Now this Sony also plays SACDs I have a universal player for £399 which works just as well as the 751BD & is actually much better for quick & successful HDMI handshake/sync. Needless to say Ultra HD Blu-ray playback thro the OLED TV is astounding.
Only downside is I have a few TV buttons on the remote which dont work with the LG TV but its a small price to pay.
Very pleased so far.

Are owners able to get 4K HDR on both the X800 Netflix and Amazon apps?

pleased to say ive just watched the Inferno disc that came with the player and there was no issues so im hoping the freeze from yesterday was just a one off.

I did notice that i had the BD Internet Connection setting set to 'allow', i turned that off after the freeze last night and both films i played since have been fine so dont know if that was the cause of the issue or not.

is the power cable hardwired?

damn it, i hate it when they do that! means having to dismantle things to pass through the cable rather than feed them up a gap...

Excellent feedback from actual users/owners of this bad boy. I'm definitely going to pick up the UBP-X800 after reading everyone's take on this player. I was initially going to buy the Panasonic DMP-UB900 but I just can't justify spending over $600 on a Blu-Ray player alone.

Excellent feedback from actual users/owners of this bad boy. I'm definitely going to pick up the UBP-X800 after reading everyone's take on this player. I was initially going to buy the Panasonic DMP-UB900 but I just can't justify spending over $600 on a Blu-Ray player alone.

To be honest there's very little..Infact nothing to complain about with the UB700, no need to buy the 900.

Is anyone with UHD PlanetEarth2 getting a black screen when first loading the disc up or is it just me?

Is anyone with UHD PlanetEarth2 getting a black screen when first loading the disc up or is it just me?
Hoping to get UHD Planet Earth 2 for my birthday next Friday, dropped a few hints to the wife. Not had any problems with the 2 UHD Blu-rays that I've got : Journey to Space (which includes a 3D & UHD disc) & was filmed for IMAX & of course Inferno which gives the player/tv combination quite a motion workout with a lot of fast moving & close camera work. I have found that Tru-motion Clear setting works best for me, I dont like 24hz judder & Clear reduces it by about 90% while keeping artifacts to a tolerable level.
Are Blu-rays always 24hz or are there going to be UHDs with higher frame rates?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom