SONY UBP-X800 ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Bought the UBP-X800M2 to serve as CD transport and occasional DVD player. Have a few issues/gripes with it:
1. Really miss the Gracenote feature, as this was also supported by my old Panasonic player. Is it even an option to install a previous release?
2. Had it crashing few times, on one occasion the box booted with default settings. Youtube app sometimes looses the connection as well.
3. Can't get the HDMI2 to work on the HDMI ARC input of my also new Cambridge Evo75. Set the system settings to use HDMI2 for audio, tried fiddling with the PCM/DSD settings, but the Evo just doesn't recognize any signal. Anyone an idea? Right now using a coax cable which of course works fine, so not a big deal, just was interested in how this would work.

X800M2 I have is running M45.R.0056.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? I'm running into multiple issues with my UPB-X800 (first edition) purchased in 2019. I'm currently running firmware version M36.R.0338. The issues below have all been consistent, whether connected to Wi-Fi, connected to LAN, or not connected to the network. When connected, network tests show that it's connected to the Internet. I've reset the network numerous times. I did a factory reset. I've tried it with discs in and discs out of the try.

These are the issues I'm running into:
  1. Despite the system recognizing that I need to update my firmware, it won't allow me to click on "Software Update" in the Setup menu. It's almost as though it's grayed out (although it's not), because when I click on it, nothing happens. I'm trying to update to M36.R.0342
  2. Neither 4K Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray or DVD discs will play on the player. This is a new change as until recently they all worked. I've tested this with many different discs. All results the same. It recognizes the title of the disc, but when I click on it, it seems to "think" for a couple seconds and then returns to its former state.
  3. When the power button on the controller (new batteries) is clicked, the player turns off, however it will not turn on again without unplugging and then plugging in the power cable.
  4. Featured Apps option is also not working. Clicking on it returns nothing, so I'm not able to load any new apps.
  5. Most of the buttons on the controller no longer work - including Netflix for example.
Lastly, I put the latest firmware on a USB stick and inserted it into the player, but because "Software Update" is unresponsive, I can't even direct it to the USB to pull the new firmware.

I spent a very unhelpful hour on Live Chat earlier with someone from Sony that sounded like they were reading from a script and asked me to try everything I'd already tried and finally concluded that I need to have the device serviced. I have to think there's a software issue going on and if I could update the software, it would work again. But, perhaps that's wishful thinking. I found this thread on these forums, which seems to indicate a similar issue, especially the one from 3-months ago by JRS16.

I'm hoping someone out there has a solution or recommendation that I haven't tried before I bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Is it a multi-region player? My multi-region player seem to recognise Bluray discs even if the player is set to the wrong region - I need to change the region in order to play it. Obviously this should affect 4K discs, unless there’s a setting somewhere not allowing it to play 4K discs?

Is it a multi-region player? My multi-region player seem to recognise Bluray discs even if the player is set to the wrong region - I need to change the region in order to play it. Obviously this should affect 4K discs, unless there’s a setting somewhere not allowing it to play 4K discs?
If it was only the playing of the discs not working, I could see that being the problem, but that wouldn't explain any of the other issues. My suspicion is that the software somehow got messed up and even doing a factory reset doesn't seem to fix it.

If it was only the playing of the discs not working, I could see that being the problem, but that wouldn't explain any of the other issues. My suspicion is that the software somehow got messed up and even doing a factory reset doesn't seem to fix it.
A few things I can think of is that it as modded region-free player?- these can often be problematic. Perhaps there was an interruption during a previous firmware update?...another issue is people using disc cleaners which can cause playback issues...another is I have read is players getting excessively dusty inside (the front loading disc tray) and another is the player not being placed in a well ventilated location...
Any of these sound familiar?

Not much help but the DVD player aspect on my player packed up this year for no reason at all. I tried everything suggested above to no avail. I ended buying a refurbished X800M2 from Sony.

Does anyone here know if there's a menu setting somewhere to change the RGB Black Level from 'Limited' to 'Full'? Long story as to why but curious.

Not used my X800 for a while, but tried yesterday, did an update all seemed ok.

when playing a disk my amp only shows multi channel in and not flagged Atmos/DTSX, i have tried a number of disks, and DTSX demo disk all just come up as Multi Channel in, i thought maybe it was my amp, but if i play a file from my Zapiti the Atmos is flagged up! this is using the same cable and input on the amp.

Pressing the info on the sony it states the audio as Dolby True, so i'm baffled. it must be the player is there a setting somewhere i have missed?

audio output set to bitstream?

Then set it to auto, as setting it to PCM will give you multichannel output :)

Its set on auto, still getting multi channel in displayed :thumbsdow

Strange… never had an issue back when I had a X800.
Don’t have it anymore so cannot check it.

Only other option I could advice you would be to do a factory reset or unplug the player from the mains for a minute or so.

Not used my X800 for a while, but tried yesterday, did an update all seemed ok.

when playing a disk my amp only shows multi channel in and not flagged Atmos/DTSX, i have tried a number of disks, and DTSX demo disk all just come up as Multi Channel in, i thought maybe it was my amp, but if i play a file from my Zapiti the Atmos is flagged up! this is using the same cable and input on the amp.

Pressing the info on the sony it states the audio as Dolby True, so i'm baffled. it must be the player is there a setting somewhere i have missed?
Try a different input on the amp and/or make sure you have atmos audio mode selected on the Denon.

Try a different input on the amp and/or make sure you have atmos audio mode selected on the Denon.

There is no Atmos mode settings on the Denon as such, I've run audessy and all the channels come up, test tones all come through the corresponding speakers.

Tried a different inputs, my zappiti has no issues, Atmos is flagged, I use the same input/cable from that into the Sony, same multi channel is displayed. I've factory reset the Sony with no joy.

Must be the Sony, I'm going to take out my old BR spinner and try an Atmos Blu-ray see if that works.

Might try the second hdmi out to the amp and directly connect it to the TV see if that works.

There is no Atmos mode settings on the Denon as such, I've run audessy and all the channels come up, test tones all come through the corresponding speakers.

Tried a different inputs, my zappiti has no issues, Atmos is flagged, I use the same input/cable from that into the Sony, same multi channel is displayed. I've factory reset the Sony with no joy.

Must be the Sony, I'm going to take out my old BR spinner and try an Atmos Blu-ray see if that works.

Might try the second hdmi out to the amp and directly connect it to the TV see if that works.
According to the manual there is (page 150 and 157). Selected via the remote movie sound mode button. I've had problems in the past with no atmos with my X8500H due to the wrong sound mode being in use. Check the input signal type via the INFO button on the remote to see what is being received by the Denon.

Must be a setting or issues with the Sony. It seems to only want to output pcm.

Pic 1 Sony setting
Pic 2 amp signal input
Pic 3 amp display Sony
Pic 4 zappiti signal input
Pic 5 amp display zappiti

That's using the same cable and input on the amp for the zappiti.

Attachments

• DSC_0205.JPG
    DSC_0205.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0202.JPG
    DSC_0202.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0207.JPG
    DSC_0207.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0208.JPG
    DSC_0208.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0209.JPG
    DSC_0209.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 80
Must be a setting or issues with the Sony. It seems to only want to output pcm.

Pic 1 Sony setting
Pic 2 amp signal input
Pic 3 amp display Sony
Pic 4 zappiti signal input
Pic 5 amp display zappiti

That's using the same cable and input on the amp for the zappiti.
Turn BD Audio MIX to OFF
I think that is the equivalent to my X800M2 BD Secondary Audio setting (from its manual)
[Off]: Outputs the primary audio only. Select this to output Bitstream (Dolby/DTS) signals
to a Sound Bar/AV amplifier (receiver).

To enjoy Bitstream (Dolby/DTS) signals, set [BD Secondary Audio] to [Off] and [Digital Audio
Output] to [Auto].

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom