Sony UBP-x800 m2 Blu-ray player stopped working when I got a new SONY TV

Sriram

Novice Member
Reaction score
My setup used to be:

1. SONY UBP-x800 m2 Blu-ray player
2. Denon AVR-2310ci
3. Old Samsung LCD TV

I replaced my TV with a new SONY Bravia X90J 50 inch TV.

Now my Blu-ray player signal is not reaching the TV. It says "No signal".

1. Connecting the Blu-ray directly to the TV works
2. My Ps3 (old) connected to the Denon continues to work.

What the hell happened to by Blu-ray player signal? Switching TVs has made it stop working wile my ancient Playstation continues to work.

Mystified.

Most likely cause:

1: Old TV was a HD (but not UHD) model. This would be detected by the player and it would send HD signals via HDMI.

2: New TV is a UHD model. This is detected by the player and it sends UHD signals via HDMI.

3: One of the HDMI cables (Player <> Amp or Amp <> TV) does not have sufficient bandwidth to carry UHD signal.

Solutions:
1: Player menu - force it to restrict itself to HD. or
2: Another HDMI cable.

My setup used to be:

1. SONY UBP-x800 m2 Blu-ray player
2. Denon AVR-2310ci
3. Old Samsung LCD TV

I replaced my TV with a new SONY Bravia X90J 50 inch TV.

Now my Blu-ray player signal is not reaching the TV. It says "No signal".

1. Connecting the Blu-ray directly to the TV works
2. My Ps3 (old) connected to the Denon continues to work.

What the hell happened to by Blu-ray player signal? Switching TVs has made it stop working wile my ancient Playstation continues to work.

Mystified.
Is your player HDMI connected through the 2310ci?
If so connect direct to TV from X800M2 main HDMI and connect another HDMI cable from the player 2nd HDMI (audio) port to the 2310 to carry the audio.
Player main HDMI-->TV
Player 2nd HDMI-->2310

Most likely cause:

1: Old TV was a HD (but not UHD) model. This would be detected by the player and it would send HD signals via HDMI.

2: New TV is a UHD model. This is detected by the player and it sends UHD signals via HDMI.

3: One of the HDMI cables (Player <> Amp or Amp <> TV) does not have sufficient bandwidth to carry UHD signal.

Solutions:
1: Player menu - force it to restrict itself to HD. or
2: Another HDMI cable.
I suspect it's an AVR 4K passthrough issue.
My slightly newer Denon 2311 couldn't passthrough 4K. It has HDMI V1.4 vs the required HDMI V2. Also the HDCP version will be too ancient as well.
The giveaway is Connecting the Blu-ray directly to the TV works

Given the age of the rest of the equipment prior to the X800M2 I suspect you're correct as to the need for a newer HDMI cable to be used (albeit from player to TV rather than in or out of amp)

Last edited:
I suspect it's an AVR 4K passthrough issue.
Yes, that, too is a likely cause. But if so, I'm surprised that the handshake between player and amp doesn't inform the player to limit its output. But again, forcing the player to limit itself to HD (1080) would fix it, but you wouldn't get any UHD passed through as true UHD.

Yes, that, too is a likely cause. But if so, I'm surprised that the handshake between player and amp doesn't inform the player to limit its output. But again, forcing the player to limit itself to HD (1080) would fix it, but you wouldn't get any UHD passed through as true UHD.
I get 'no signal' fairly frequently from 4K passthrough situation and that is with an AVR (Denon X8500 with HDMI premium certified cables) which can passthrough. In my case the cause is presumably a failed handshake somewhere in the chain. Usually resolves itself once a disc is played (which triggers more handshaking) though very occasionally requires a power off/on to fix.

Last edited:
What happens if the x800 is reconnected to the old TV? Does it work? If so, the player would seem to be OK. Assuming that the player is OK, which I suspect it is, the best way is to split the video and audio, video to the new TV, audio to the amp. The x800 menus are your friend here.

The x800 is fine. Connecting it directly to the new TV works. It is my Denon AV receiver which is ancient and causing the issue. It has HDMI 1.3 support in it. I can do the A-V split as a number of you have suggested.

I am now thinking of biting the bullet and upgrading my amp itself.

I’d try the video/audio split first and see how you get on. £6 on an extra HDMI cable is a lot cheaper than a new amp.!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom