Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Steve Withers, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,900
    2. mark800

mark800
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,234
      Great review as usual Steve.

You raised the point that the Oppo 203 supports Dolby Vision but is that worth an extra £280?

My concern is that many people are buying these devices in the hope that there will be an Dolby Vision upgrade as Sony has not made it clear whether this will be provided.

While some people buy a new player every few months, others want it to last several years. On that basis, Dolby Vision could become very important, particularly if your TV supports it. For example, Disney may be about to jump in in the next few months. So, it's about spending an extra £280 now versus spending more later to get a new Dolby Vision-equipped player (e.g. a Sony X900?).

Based on their TVs, I cannot help but think there will be a Dolby Vision-equipped player quite soon, which may annoy people who have just purchased the X800.

3. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,900
      I have absolutely no doubt that there will be a Dolby Vision player released soon, presumably the X1000, which I'm willing to bet will get announced at IFA. Now that Sony are supporting Dolby Vision on their flagship TVs and Sony Pictures are about to start releasing Dolby Vision discs it only makes sense for them to also have a player that supports the format. The problem was that the decision to support Dolby Vision on their TVs was taken very late in the day, just before CES would be my guess, and thus it was too late for the X800 which used an older chipset. If your TV does support Dolby Vision then you should obviously consider the LG or Oppo but there a lot more people with TVs that only support HDR10 and in that respect the X800 is a great choice.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    4. walshy77

walshy77

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +221
      Steve,
      I've read in quite a few articles that this player has the hardware to support DV. Sony are apparently keeping an eye on the format and if they see fit they will release a firmware to enable it. This is a great idea if true. I dont have a DV supported TV so not too bothered about it at this stage, but ordered this on the basis that it's comparable to the Oppo 203, HAS streaming services and the usb is 3.0 too. Oh and mine is Multi-region for DVD / Bluray.

Cheers

walshy

5. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,900
      That would be nice if it was true but that's definitely not what the Sony engineers said when we asked them that question at CES and again at the official UK launch in early February. I'm sure if they could update the X800 they would have by now because it would be the perfect fit with the Dolby Vision TVs and discs.

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    6. mark800

mark800
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,234
      Steve, is there a way you can clarify the situation with Sony? If there may be a Dolby Vision upgrade, that would be positive news for some people. At the very least, people would know what they are buying into.

7. JoeSepi

JoeSepi

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +665
      Steve the LG is a LG UP970 not a "UB970":)

8. Dixie4

Dixie4

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +514
      I did not even really know, or consider Dolby Vision, when recently buying my first 4K TV ( Sony 50" curved TV, with X800 - Amazon deals. ) Got these at a fantastic price & have since added a Sony STR-DN1080 AVR.

I'm thrilled with my purchases. The X800 covers all my needs, from stunning UHD, to equally stunning Blu Ray upscaling, which i'm continually amazed by, with each disc i play.

I'm also into Hi Res music, in a big way & was one of the main reasons i bought the X800. Excellent playback of disc & file format.

No Dolby Vision, but for performance & price combined, can't be beaten, imo.

I have a Oppo 93 player, which i didn't think could be beaten, but the X800 surpasses it. ( admittedly it's not 4K or upscaling to 4K, )

I'm hoping to purchase some Dolby Atmos speakers in the next couple of days, which will complete my set up & no doubt add, to an already impressive experience !

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    9. zubeir

zubeir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +497
      Seems like a very poor decision for Sony to launch a player without Dolby Vision, when the A1 and other TV models including last years ZD9 having DV. Give with one hand, take away from the other..

Flagship OLED TV, but wait.. I have to buy an Oppo or LG to pair it with for DV.

10. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +432
      I am not too sure how many times and in how many ways it has to be said that NO it does not.

@Steve - Sound Quality wise it would have been nice to compare the Analog outputs as I am sure many people would considering the two would find this a useful comparison with the Oppo 203

11. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,900
      Well as I said in the review, I think the decision to add DV support to the TVs that use the X1 Extreme processor was taken at the end of last year by which time the development on the X800 was finished. These products have fairly long development periods and can't just be changed at the drop of a hat. You could say why not plan for DV from the start but at the time the X800 was developed a year ago Sony didn't support it on their TVs or projectors (and still don't on the latter) and Sony Pictures had no plans to release DV discs. It's worth remembering that of the 11 UHD Blu-ray players currently available, only 3 actually support DV.

12. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +261
      Hi Steve , I find the picture quality excellent better than previous Sony BD players & you say the sound is very good, However why do you give only 9 for both Video & audio, what does it lack in order to receive 10 ? Finally I find it disappointing that it has no display, usually I criticise components for having too large or bright stand by indicators, the one on the X800 is too small.

13. ashenfie

ashenfie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +432
      Maybe on the DV front the wrong question is being asked. Maybe its a clear cut commercial decision. If Manufactures said well if you want DV support it's going to cost you and extra £100 or what ever.

It basically boils down to the fact the most people in the marked to purchase a UHD player want DV , but aren't prepared to pay for it. So maybe the manufactors are right and willing to just ride the storm?

14. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +518
      What can I say, as an E6 owner, not having DV is a deal breaker, but for those without DV support on their displays, perhaps this is the choice. So I'll hang on for some more news from Sony then. I'm in no rush, as long as it's released tomorrow, I don't mind. ;)

15. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,900
      The lack of display is weird, especially given that the X800 looks so much like the UHP-H1 which does have one. You could make a case for awarding a 10 for picture and sound, especially in the digital realm, but then you'd be awarding most players a 10 and you'd have nowhere to go, so it seems to make sense to me to award a 9 in case you ever needed that extra 1, even if that does sound a bit Spinal Tap.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    16. Dixie4

Dixie4

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +514
      Personally, PQ wise i would have to give it a 10.

17. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +559
      No DV = No purchase. Real shame as this unit is a total winner otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    18. mainaman

mainaman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +198
      No HVEC streaming from USB?The 4k TVs support it,but have more limited audio support.

Awaiting the WHF review to find out if it can match the Oppo 203 picture quality and "glossiness".They said the Oppo revealed more detail than the Panasonic 900.

:)

19. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +261
      I have always found Oppo inferior to Sony, no one betters Sony PQ, SQ or value ,my experience with Oppo is that I will not buy that brand again.

20. shaggy71

shaggy71

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +32
      I just wont purchase something that has been on sale in the USA for a while at a list price of $300 why Sony think we have to pay more is beyond me. £300 then I would snap this up.

If you buy the flagship sony OLED they will sell you one of these for £300 and try to make it look like you are getting a good deal from them.

21. dts

dts

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,538
      Let's not get into this argument...

22. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +208
      Yeah well, WHF reviews are best taken with a pinch of salt. :)(According the first review (Now Edited) the Oppo 203 had Darbee processing, however members in the forum soon pointed out that it didn’t)

The Sony 800 UHD Player was reviewed in May 2017 and got 5 stars. (Although I am surprised that the sandwich look of the player didn’t force them to say that it would disrupt the gravitational field, and so should only be positioned a certain way, preferably with magic fairy dust added)

Bill

23. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +941
      I don't understand this forums obsession with DV. TV's can't max out normal HDR so why worry about DV at this point? Fact is you can't buy any hardware which will be able to do it justice anyway let alone buy any of the software. By the time something appears that can show any measurable improvement for DV over HDR10 all our hardware will be worthless anyway so why worry about it?

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    24. SwissPhoney

SwissPhoney

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +58
      No Dolby Vision upgrade possible on the UBP-X800..........bugg*r.

25. antsims

antsims

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +609
      Again. I've read reports saying they were watching the market in relation to DV and will update the machine if they see a market for it. Unfair to quote this in reviews if it's not even remotely possible to do.

26. SwissPhoney

SwissPhoney

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +58
      Seems very unlikely now if Sony UK told Steve Withers in February 2017 it was not possible on the x800.

Sony knew in January 2017 at CES that DV implementation was available in a full software solution to products with sufficiently powerful processors i.e. ZD9 TV future firmware upgrade for DV announced.

27. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +518
      Er, maps and control. If you understand the walled garden nature of a DV end to end solution, then in theory there should be perceivable benefits. Now I'm more than happy to be proved wrong here, but then how would anyone be able to measure that difference both objectively or subjectively? Maybe 'blind' testing, but how? I know I should be getting a consistent ATDI experience with DV. Not so sure about HDR10.

28. Kingchin

Kingchin

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +63
      Impossible for a comparison as the Sony UBP-X800 doesn't have any analog outputs. It just uses a hdmi connection for Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio HD e.t.c.

Currently the only UHD player's with analog outputs are the Oppo UDP-203, Oppo UDP-205 and Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK.

29. babator

babator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +276
      "However, Sony players aren't able to do this with 25 or 50 frames per second material so this type of content isn't as optimally displayed, although it is also less common on video streaming services which tend to be US-centric"
      Steve, could you clarify this one? Do you mean that 25 or 50 fps content is sent at 60 Hz?

30. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,900
      Yes that's exactly what I mean, the best players for outputting the correct frame rate on any content are actually the Samsungs.