• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Sony UBP-X700 vs UBP-X800

rezblue

Novice Member
Hello!

I'm interested in getting a UHD bluray player and i'm kinda stuck on which of these two players to get. Obviously I want to get the most bang for my buck and from what ive read so far these two seem to be the best of a limited choice.

I was all set to get the X700 because of Dolby Vision support but then I started seeing posts about freezing and really loud disc sounds coming from the player when in use. Many seem to contribute it to poor build quality.

So now i'm thinking about going for the X800. It seems to be made much sturdier which I'm guessing will eliminate that loud playback issue? The only downside I can see is no Dolby Vision which i'm not sure is a HUGE deal.

Can anybody give me some insight into what you think about these two and how they compare? Is there a better player out there right now that is close-ish in price?

Thanks for the help!

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Whats wrong with the panasonic UB820 ?

rezblue

Novice Member
Nothing, I heard it was a good player and I'd be interested in checking it out but I havent seen it anywhere like Best Buy. At least not in Canada where I am

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hello!

I'm interested in getting a UHD bluray player and i'm kinda stuck on which of these two players to get. Obviously I want to get the most bang for my buck and from what ive read so far these two seem to be the best of a limited choice.

I was all set to get the X700 because of Dolby Vision support but then I started seeing posts about freezing and really loud disc sounds coming from the player when in use. Many seem to contribute it to poor build quality.

So now i'm thinking about going for the X800. It seems to be made much sturdier which I'm guessing will eliminate that loud playback issue? The only downside I can see is no Dolby Vision which i'm not sure is a HUGE deal.

Can anybody give me some insight into what you think about these two and how they compare? Is there a better player out there right now that is close-ish in price?

Thanks for the help!
Panasonic UB820 and the upcoming Sony X800M2 or Panasonic UB450 all have DV support.
Asking about prices in Canada on a UK/European forum won't get you a lot of answers...:)

For what it's worth my X700 is freeze free and quiet. I've seen more complaints about freezes with the X800 than with the X700. See my post #2 in SONY UBP-X700B vs Panasonic DPUB820 for a comparison of the X700 and UB820.

If you can't get a Panasonic player where you are I'd suggest going for the X700 or the upcoming X800M2.

Last edited:

tanglung

Distinguished Member
I have both. X800 has frozen on quite a few discs, X700 has been flawless so far. X800 is far superior in build quality though.

AKC

I own a Sony UBP 700 it is quite but the freezing issue is a problem I am experiencing which Sony are investigating with no expected fix date. I believe the problem is playing Bd100 discs e.g Bad boys 1&2 The Dark Knight trilogy all have frozen for me three quarters into the film.

rezblue

Novice Member
I found myself at Best Buy over the weekend and ALMOST pulled the trigger but I just didn't feel comfortable yet. They have a sad selection of players too.

Anyway I almost picked up the x700 but then I saw an LG UBK90 and did some quick on the spot review searches and Consumer Reports had that listed as the editors choice a few spots above the Sony X700. It's not a pleasant machine to look at by any means but it's scored higher in almost every department. Now i'm really torn between which one to get. It seems like it's better in every aspect, from PQ, to BQ. I have read a few cases of people complaining about freezes as well. This seems to be a pretty common complaint with UHD players.

I think UBK90 might be the way to go though. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Fred Smith

Have a look at LG UP-970 owners threads, the UBK-90 is basically a renamed UP-970. Issues seem to have remained.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom