Sony UBP-X700 vs. Sony UBP-X800M2?

hbenthow

Novice Member
I'm looking for a 4K player, and the two models in the title seem to be the most affordable models that possibly have the features that I want.

To anyone who has had both a UBP-X700 and a UBP-X800M2, which do you think is better and why?

Also, is it true that the UBP-X800M2 is better at upscaling DVDs? And do either or both players feature the ability to turn upscaling off and let the television handle upscaling?

I've read that the UBP-X800M2 has a heatsink to keep it cool. Does this offer a major advantage over the UBP-X700?

And keeping the following in mind, which would be most likely to meet my needs? I'm looking for a player that can do all of the following:

1. Play 4K discs, Blu-rays, DVDs, and CDs.

2. Play video, audio, and photo files on burned Blu-ray, DVD, and CD discs, USB flash drives, and ideally (although optionally) through DLNA as well.

3. Play videos (including 4K ones) in MKV, MP4, AVI, MPG/MPEG, and TS formats, and support VP9 and HEVC codecs and the 60fps framerate (on discs and USB, and ideally DLNA as well).

KBD

You must have purchased by now, but I went with the X700, simply because it fits in the shelving under my TV. The X800 is just too long!
Here's an odd & annoying thing. The X700 was formerly sold as just the X700 w/o a HDMI cable.
Yamaha then changed the model to X700/M & included a chintzy HDMI cable for an extra $50 USD.
It's the same player!

I'm using the USB for a video file for the first time today.
You can set the player to upscale or not.

TBH I think all the information you were looking for is in the specs of them:

I was a little miffed yesterday when I realized I could have gotten the same plater from "Amazon Renewed" for $10 USD less than I paid for a demo model. I guess it's not that bad, because I did get the player immediately & didn't further tax the mail carrier with another Amazon product that's too big for my mailbox.

As far as I can tell, the X700 will use Dolby Vision HDR for anything with a resolution of 1080p or higher, but only SDR for lower resolution.
Of course there's a setting for that if you don't prefer Dolby Vision.

For me it makes viewing HD blu-rays better than from the PS4, but DVDs are the same. I sold the last of my DVDs the other day for 50 cents/each, however.
I watched my Shyamalan's Signs DVD for the last time, because my OLED's brightness makes it viewable, LOL!

TBH I can't tell a difference between the player's upscaling & my LG-CX upscaling.
I have compared: PS4 & X700 (aforementioned DVD)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom