Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread

Just had another (non) reply from SONY re freezing.
"With reference to your enquiry, we can confirm that we have received no communication regarding this being a known issue.
Therefore, we recommend taking your device and the CD included to your nearest Sony authorized service centre"

They absolutely refuse to acknowledge that there is any problem..... and what has a CD got to do with anything? Their customer services is so 💩

I’ve been using mine for almost six months- bought it off amazon de ... no issues
German reliability? ;)
Bet it wasn't made in Germany though :p
In all seriousness, mine is fine apart from some triple layer BD100 4k discs that play fine on my Pan UB900. Only really bought the X700 for DV but if the disc is DV & BD100 I have problems. May try cleaning the lens. Very annoying.

I was having all sorts of problems playing 4K disks with this until I split the Audio and Video. I have the video going direct to my TV and audio into my receiver and now 4K disks play great. Before I was getting snow and other issues. The problem I am having though is that every time I turn the unit on, I have to go through and manually reconnect the Wifi. It doesn't automatically reconnect as it should when I turn on the unit. Annoying and very poor. If go to check for updates, it says it can't connect to server, but if I go through the hassle of manually reconnecting the Wifi it will then work

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me. Iv noticed the sound output from the sony blu ray player is very weak especially the subwoofer in impact scenes. I switched 4k players to my samsung m7500 player and my sound system sounds superb but then when i switch back to the sony player the difference is very profound! Any idea if there is any settings i can change to improve the sound or are the sony players always weak on sound output? Thank you

My amp does not decode truehd etc. So to get truehd i set the x700 to pcm, amp shows pcm being received and shows 7.1 speakers lighting up on it. Pressing audio on the x700 and it displays truehd7.1. All good. Or maybe not.

Problem is it is very noticeably quiet. Quite significantly so. But set the x700 nack to bitstream the audio so that the amp now displays dolby digital (as thats the best/highest format it decodes) and it is much louder (at the same amp volume as when the x700 was decoding truehd).

Anyone know why? No settings changed other than on the x700 from pcm decoding truehd to bitstreaming and amp decoding (D.D). Such a difference that i prefer using the amp to decode the lesser dolby digital (which aounds better due to the increased volume!)

Has anybody tried the HDR-SDR conversion feature on the X700? I want to connect a 4K player to my 1080p projector. I know the Panasonic SDR conversion is suposed to better but those players are too expensive. Thinking of the X500. I assume the HDR-SDR is the same as the X700? Thanks.

I don't think it has such a conversion option

Ah, I misread; I have an HDR display so this isn't something I can try

I am having a problem with the audio being slightly ahead of the video. Characters’s lips are still moving when I have heard them speak. It’s only happening when I play the 4k It’s A Wonderful Life on my x-700. Is there a way to update the audio sync?

I am having a problem with the audio being slightly ahead of the video. Characters’s lips are still moving when I have heard them speak. It’s only happening when I play the 4k It’s A Wonderful Life on my x-700. Is there a way to update the audio sync?
What are you connected to audio wise? TV, soundbar, or AVR/Amp?
That it only happens with this one disc maybe points to it being a disc issue.

What are you connected to audio wise? TV, soundbar, or AVR/Amp?
That it only happens with this one disc maybe points to it being a disc issue.

I have an Onkyo receiver. Someone in the review of the 4k disc said he had experienced the same problem with this disc which he had remedied by updating his disc player’s audio sync.

I have an Onkyo receiver. Someone in the review of the 4k disc said he had experienced the same problem with this disc which he had remedied by updating his disc player’s audio sync.
You should be able to adjust lip synch in your Onkyo. If not, there is an option to set this in the X700.
Press Options on the remote when playing the disc and adjust

From the X700 manual
[A/V SYNC]: Adjusts the gap between picture and sound, by delaying the sound output in relation to the picture output (0 to 120 milliseconds).

What may be relevent, or may not be, is that my X700 is completely powered off after each use (as is all my AV equipment at end of day). So it is always getting a clean reboot for every use of it.

Mmm weird. You might be on to something there.
I have owned my X700 for the best part of 18 months and had suffered no problems with it until the past few weeks.
This coincides with me fitting a smart plug which is programmed to turn all of my AV equipment off at the wall.
Prior to this, I had just left everything in standby.......... I wonder?????
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mmm weird. You might be on to something there.
I have owned my X700 for the best part of 18 months and had suffered no problems with it until the past few weeks.
This coincides with me fitting a smart plug which is programmed to turn all of my AV equipment off at the wall.
Prior to this, I had just left everything in standby.......... I wonder?????
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I would have thought more the opposite as it would now be starting each day with a clean state. The old 'have you tried powering it off and on again' solution to computer problems.

But what does seem to matter (at least for me) is the correct power on sequence when bringing everything back on from an complete power off state. It may be just co-incidence but TV, then AVR, then player seems to be problem free for me whereas get the sequence wrong and something seems to screw up now and again. My power on sequences and delays are controlled via a Harmony remote but if it gets it wrong up and doesn't power something on when it should have done is when I get a problem.

I suspect, although I am probably wrong, that even when in standby everything is still having a chat to everything else. Which is precisely why I power them all off as I also suspect they are talking about me behind my back when I'm not in the room...:)

Last edited:
I would have thought more the opposite as it would now be starting each day with a clean state. The old 'have you tried powering it off and on again' solution to computer problems.

But what does seem to matter (at least for me) is the correct power on sequence when bringing everything back on from an complete power off state. It may be just co-incidence but TV, then AVR, then player seems to be problem free for me whereas get the sequence wrong and something seems to screw up now and again. My power on sequences and delays are controlled via a Harmony remote but if it screws up and doesn't power something on when it should have is when I get a problem.

Prior to fitting the smart plug Doug, I'd just fire up the TV which would, in turn, power up the receiver. Obviously the 700 would only power up when I chose to use it.
With the new Smart plug fitted, both the TV and the 700 power up together, but then the receiver will kick in and go to the TV input, whilst the player then powers off again with no further button pressing from myself.
All just seems a little coincidental to me...... I'm going to remove the Smart Plug to see if that makes any difference at all.

Prior to fitting the smart plug Doug, I'd just fire up the TV which would, in turn, power up the receiver. Obviously the 700 would only power up when I chose to use it.
With the new Smart plug fitted, both the TV and the 700 power up together, but then the receiver will kick in and go to the TV input, whilst the player then powers off again with no further button pressing from myself.
All just seems a little coincidental to me...... I'm going to remove the Smart Plug to see if that makes any difference at all.
Worth a try even if just to discount the plug being involved.

Worth a try even if just to discount the plug being involved.

Mmmmm.................
My new UB820 arrived yesterday. Set it all up, spun Hacksaw Ridge and half an hour in the same thing happened!
Black screen for about 2 seconds, and then continued playing. Happened a couple more times and then settled down.
Tried another disc and the same thing. Each time it does it, the HDR logo will appear in the corner of the screen as if the player is re-connecting with the receiver.
Have now removed the "smart plug" to take that out of the equation, if that doesn't sort it, I will try another HDMI lead.
At least I now know it wasn't the X700 that was faulty.
I'm hoping it's not my receiver. That's new as well (Marantz NR1609). Possibly a faulty HDMI input? I am using the "Blu ray" input but could, I suppose, plug the player into another input and re-assign?
Very frustrating.

Last edited:
Mmmmm.................
My new UB820 arrived yesterday. Set it all up, spun Hacksaw Ridge and half an hour in the same thing happened!
Black screen for about 2 seconds, and then continued playing. Happened a couple more times and then settled down.
Tried another disc and the same thing. Each time it does it, the HDR logo will appear in the corner of the screen as if the player is re-connecting with the receiver.
Have now removed the "smart plug" to take that out of the equation, if that doesn't sort it, I will try another HDMI lead.
At least I now know it wasn't the X700 that was faulty.
I'm hoping it's not my receiver. That's new as well (Marantz NR1609). Possibly a faulty HDMI input? I am using the "Blu ray" input but could, I suppose, plug the player into another input and re-assign?
Very frustrating.
That's a cable problem by the sounds of it. The TV and player are loosing their HDMI chat (It's good to talk) and have to re-establish the connection. May be triggered by the data along the cable exceeding the bandwidth carrying capacity of the cable i.e peaks of high bit rates on the disc.

Try another cable or you could try cleaning both ends of the cables (player to receiver and receiver to TV) and replugging. Poor connections would also lower the bandwidth capacity.

Worst case scenario it could be a faulty HDMI port on the receiver or TV but much, much more likely to be the cable. Like 99.99%, more likely although on my old TV one of the four HDMI ports was iffy from day 1 for UHD data rates (OK with blu-ray). Not too bothered by that as everything goes through my AVR so I'd still have two spare.

Last edited:
That's a cable problem by the sounds of it. The TV and player are loosing their HDMI chat (It's good to talk) and have to re-establish the connection. May be triggered by the data along the cable exceeding the bandwidth carrying capacity of the cable i.e peaks of high bit rates on the disc.

Try another cable or you could try cleaning both ends of the cables (player to receiver and receiver to TV) and replugging. Poor connections would also lower the bandwidth capacity.

Worst case scenario it could be a faulty HDMI port on the receiver or TV but much, much more likely to be the cable. Like 99.99%, more likely although on my old TV one of the four HDMI ports was iffy from day 1 for UHD data rates (OK with blu-ray). Not too bothered by that as everything goes through my AVR so I'd still have two spare.

Thanks Doug.
Have just ordered another cable from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. It's a good 'un.
But the cable I'm using at the moment is the same one I used to connect my Sony spinner to my Onkyo amp, and never had this issue once.
I have 4 spare HDMI inputs on the back of the new amp. I guess I could swap out to using one of those and just rename it?

Thanks Doug.
Have just ordered another cable from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. It's a good 'un.
But the cable I'm using at the moment is the same one I used to connect my Sony spinner to my Onkyo amp, and never had this issue once.
I have 4 spare HDMI inputs on the back of the new amp. I guess I could swap out to using one of those and just rename it?
Before bothering doing that just try the new cable. If you still have problems try another port on the AVR, and if needs be on the TV.

If you stil have problems you could try setting the UB820 at a lower data rate. If on 4:4:4 knock it down to 4:2:2. If on 12 bit knock it down to 10 bit.

The lowest demands on the cable bandwidth is 4:2:2 @10 bit while the highest is 4:4:4 @12 bit (both at 24p). The very highest demand is 4:4:4 @12 bit 60hz but my cheap amazon basics cables manage that without a hiccup.

Last edited:
Before bothering doing that just try the new cable. If you still have problems try another port on the AVR, and if needs be on the TV.

I'll do just that mate, but I only have one ARC port on the TV which the receiver is obviously going to.
I don't think it will be that anyway as the previous set up was working perfectly.
It's all pointing to a faulty cable or port on the receiver.......I think lol!

I'll do just that mate, but I only have one ARC port on the TV which the receiver is obviously going to.
I don't think it will be that anyway as the previous set up was working perfectly.
It's all pointing to a faulty cable or port on the receiver.......I think lol!
See my later comment re data rates.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom