Reaction score
So this arrived today...

IMG_20180116_182710_2.jpg
IMG_20180116_182721.jpg
IMG_20180116_182733.jpg
IMG_20180116_182832.jpg
IMG_20180116_182906.jpg
IMG_20180116_203657.jpg

So far so good, did a firmware update out of the box and thought it was bricked but after waiting a few minutes I unplugged it and plugged it back in and we're up and running.

Tested Cabin in the Woods which I believe is a DV title and, as expected, no DV yet. Just about to sit down and watch Baby Driver.

Build quality seems good. I was expecting lots of plastic but its largely metal. Remote is a bit meh but my harmony seems to work with X800 settings. It is nice and compact compared to the LG player which it is replacing. Power brick is small.

I've managed to set audio to HDMI 2 only and turn off HDMI control. Getting Dolby True HD through HDMI 2, so no issues there.

Last edited:
Thanks! Looking forward to some views on this as I have a friend who can pick one up for under £170 so it seems a good buy at that price.

That seems like a great price. It played Baby Driver perfectly last night. I'm really pleased with the player, as long as we get DV by the end of summer.

That seems like a great price. It played Baby Driver perfectly last night. I'm really pleased with the player, as long as we get DV by the end of summer.

Thanks for the comments on this player! I'm debating picking one up at the end of the month. A few things were causing me to worry. These issues come as a result of being burnt by the LG UP970. The first is obviously the DV update, it's been promised for the UP970 for some time and still hasn't (short of a very brief appearance) been released. Nothing you can do to help there!

However the second is drive noise, the UP970 is horrendously noisy. Is the X700 relatively silent?

Lastly is HDMI-CEC. It operates dreadfully (and can't be disabled) on the UP970. How is it on the X700 (if you use it)?

Oh and it's the "UBP", not "UPB", would be worth changing title for when people search.

::second edit:: Does it support 3D Blurays? I think the specs seem to indicate it does.

Not noticed any noise so far although I'm also less likely to notice it as I keep it in a closed cupboard. My LG didn't seem noisy the half a dozen or so times I used it either but in understand with that player the noise normally appears a month later.

I have passengers which I believe is a culprit for noise on the LG so will try it out when I get a chance.

Thread title updated [emoji23]

I played with the setting on the player and was able to disable HDMI-CEC (think it was called something slightly different) so I can launch the player through HDMI 1 and play sound through HDMI 2 without disabling Simplink on the TV. That was a real gripe of mine on the LG.

3D is supported. It is specified on the box, the manual has the usual warning about watching 3D and the settings had a screen size input for 3D. I'll leave it some someone with a 3D tv to test.

Awesome, thanks for that! Looks like this might be what my Xmas Amazon vouchers are going on :)

I'm tempted to return LG to Amazon this week and order the Sony. My terrible experience with LG support plus the fact they refuse to admit what DV delayed is about. I do hope Sony is better but then again even Sony promised DV update to TV last year and never happened. So bit like playing lottery!

Having just read on the other thread about the difference between this and the X 800, it sounds like Sony is rather confused in its market strategy. Given the high price of 4k blurays, I think I'll wait for a new model which does it all.

Unless either the X 700 or x800 outputs Atmos from built in streamers like Netflix but I doubt that's the case...

Last edited:
The Sony website specs show very little between them. The 700 shows as not being certified Hi-res audio but I don't know what that means. They both support the usual Dolby/DTS formats but the 700 doesn't support DSEE-HX (I don't know what that is).

The 700 only has single band wifi.

The Sony website specs show very little between them. The 700 shows as not being certified Hi-res audio but I don't know what that means. They both support the usual Dolby/DTS formats but the 700 doesn't support DSEE-HX (I don't know what that is).

The 700 only has single band wifi.
Ha well of course I like the idea of high res audio although it sounds like marketing speak. As long as it outputs DTS from SACDs then that's fine.

I haven't. What kind of thing are you thinking?

maybe a daft question but is it DLNA compliant ,i cant see a network app on your photos.
im getting one tomorrow now, not today and its a must have.

I don't stream media from a home server but enabled media sharing on my PC and using the network streaming app I was able to see my computer. However, the 3-4 videos I have didn't show up, when I select videos it just said there was no media present. The photos all showed up. As I said, I don't normally do any home media server streaming so its likely I just don't have sharing set up correctly.

can you confirm if the wifi on it is not dual band?
thats going to be annoying as NF DV playback on my wifi wont work smooth unless Im on 5ghz.

can you confirm if the wifi on it is not dual band?
thats going to be annoying as NF DV playback on my wifi wont work smooth unless Im on 5ghz.
Yup, only single band. Didn't find my 5GHz wifi

I don't stream media from a home server but enabled media sharing on my PC and using the network streaming app I was able to see my computer. However, the 3-4 videos I have didn't show up, when I select videos it just said there was no media present. The photos all showed up. As I said, I don't normally do any home media server streaming so its likely I just don't have sharing set up correctly.
Many thanks.:)

Yup, only single band. Didn't find my 5GHz wifi

Damn that is a dissapointment.
At least the LG had dual band!
Sony its 2018!

Damn that is a dissapointment.
At least the LG had dual band!
Sony its 2018!
that's why i use a homeplug system ,way better than wifi and more reliable.but i know what you mean the last model x800 had it.

I think I saw HDR in Netflix but as far as I can tell the audio quality is not TrueHD so no real benefit over using the in built TV app for me.

Not noticed any noise so far although I'm also less likely to notice it as I keep it in a closed cupboard. My LG didn't seem noisy the half a dozen or so times I used it either but in understand with that player the noise normally appears a month later.

I have passengers which I believe is a culprit for noise on the LG so will try it out when I get a chance.

Thread title updated [emoji23]

I played with the setting on the player and was able to disable HDMI-CEC (think it was called something slightly different) so I can launch the player through HDMI 1 and play sound through HDMI 2 without disabling Simplink on the TV. That was a real gripe of mine on the LG.

3D is supported. It is specified on the box, the manual has the usual warning about watching 3D and the settings had a screen size input for 3D. I'll leave it some someone with a 3D tv to test.
Can I ask have you had a chance to try Passengers yet?

I am keen to jump the UP970 ship

I'll have mine Thursday.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom