Quantcast

Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread

Smiffy 2

What may be relevent, or may not be, is that my X700 is completely powered off after each use (as is all my AV equipment at end of day). So it is always getting a clean reboot for every use of it.
Mmm weird. You might be on to something there.
I have owned my X700 for the best part of 18 months and had suffered no problems with it until the past few weeks.
This coincides with me fitting a smart plug which is programmed to turn all of my AV equipment off at the wall.
Prior to this, I had just left everything in standby.......... I wonder?????
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Mmm weird. You might be on to something there.
I have owned my X700 for the best part of 18 months and had suffered no problems with it until the past few weeks.
This coincides with me fitting a smart plug which is programmed to turn all of my AV equipment off at the wall.
Prior to this, I had just left everything in standby.......... I wonder?????
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I would have thought more the opposite as it would now be starting each day with a clean state. The old 'have you tried powering it off and on again' solution to computer problems.

But what does seem to matter (at least for me) is the correct power on sequence when bringing everything back on from an complete power off state. It may be just co-incidence but TV, then AVR, then player seems to be problem free for me whereas get the sequence wrong and something seems to screw up now and again. My power on sequences and delays are controlled via a Harmony remote but if it gets it wrong up and doesn't power something on when it should have done is when I get a problem.

I suspect, although I am probably wrong, that even when in standby everything is still having a chat to everything else. Which is precisely why I power them all off as I also suspect they are talking about me behind my back when I'm not in the room...:)

Last edited:

Smiffy 2

I would have thought more the opposite as it would now be starting each day with a clean state. The old 'have you tried powering it off and on again' solution to computer problems.

But what does seem to matter (at least for me) is the correct power on sequence when bringing everything back on from an complete power off state. It may be just co-incidence but TV, then AVR, then player seems to be problem free for me whereas get the sequence wrong and something seems to screw up now and again. My power on sequences and delays are controlled via a Harmony remote but if it screws up and doesn't power something on when it should have is when I get a problem.
Prior to fitting the smart plug Doug, I'd just fire up the TV which would, in turn, power up the receiver. Obviously the 700 would only power up when I chose to use it.
With the new Smart plug fitted, both the TV and the 700 power up together, but then the receiver will kick in and go to the TV input, whilst the player then powers off again with no further button pressing from myself.
All just seems a little coincidental to me...... I'm going to remove the Smart Plug to see if that makes any difference at all.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Prior to fitting the smart plug Doug, I'd just fire up the TV which would, in turn, power up the receiver. Obviously the 700 would only power up when I chose to use it.
With the new Smart plug fitted, both the TV and the 700 power up together, but then the receiver will kick in and go to the TV input, whilst the player then powers off again with no further button pressing from myself.
All just seems a little coincidental to me...... I'm going to remove the Smart Plug to see if that makes any difference at all.
Worth a try even if just to discount the plug being involved.

Smiffy 2

Worth a try even if just to discount the plug being involved.
Mmmmm.................
My new UB820 arrived yesterday. Set it all up, spun Hacksaw Ridge and half an hour in the same thing happened!
Black screen for about 2 seconds, and then continued playing. Happened a couple more times and then settled down.
Tried another disc and the same thing. Each time it does it, the HDR logo will appear in the corner of the screen as if the player is re-connecting with the receiver.
Have now removed the "smart plug" to take that out of the equation, if that doesn't sort it, I will try another HDMI lead.
At least I now know it wasn't the X700 that was faulty.
I'm hoping it's not my receiver. That's new as well (Marantz NR1609). Possibly a faulty HDMI input? I am using the "Blu ray" input but could, I suppose, plug the player into another input and re-assign?
Very frustrating.

Last edited:

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Mmmmm.................
My new UB820 arrived yesterday. Set it all up, spun Hacksaw Ridge and half an hour in the same thing happened!
Black screen for about 2 seconds, and then continued playing. Happened a couple more times and then settled down.
Tried another disc and the same thing. Each time it does it, the HDR logo will appear in the corner of the screen as if the player is re-connecting with the receiver.
Have now removed the "smart plug" to take that out of the equation, if that doesn't sort it, I will try another HDMI lead.
At least I now know it wasn't the X700 that was faulty.
I'm hoping it's not my receiver. That's new as well (Marantz NR1609). Possibly a faulty HDMI input? I am using the "Blu ray" input but could, I suppose, plug the player into another input and re-assign?
Very frustrating.
That's a cable problem by the sounds of it. The TV and player are loosing their HDMI chat (It's good to talk) and have to re-establish the connection. May be triggered by the data along the cable exceeding the bandwidth carrying capacity of the cable i.e peaks of high bit rates on the disc.

Try another cable or you could try cleaning both ends of the cables (player to receiver and receiver to TV) and replugging. Poor connections would also lower the bandwidth capacity.

Worst case scenario it could be a faulty HDMI port on the receiver or TV but much, much more likely to be the cable. Like 99.99%, more likely although on my old TV one of the four HDMI ports was iffy from day 1 for UHD data rates (OK with blu-ray). Not too bothered by that as everything goes through my AVR so I'd still have two spare.

Last edited:

Smiffy 2

That's a cable problem by the sounds of it. The TV and player are loosing their HDMI chat (It's good to talk) and have to re-establish the connection. May be triggered by the data along the cable exceeding the bandwidth carrying capacity of the cable i.e peaks of high bit rates on the disc.

Try another cable or you could try cleaning both ends of the cables (player to receiver and receiver to TV) and replugging. Poor connections would also lower the bandwidth capacity.

Worst case scenario it could be a faulty HDMI port on the receiver or TV but much, much more likely to be the cable. Like 99.99%, more likely although on my old TV one of the four HDMI ports was iffy from day 1 for UHD data rates (OK with blu-ray). Not too bothered by that as everything goes through my AVR so I'd still have two spare.
Thanks Doug.
Have just ordered another cable from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. It's a good 'un.
But the cable I'm using at the moment is the same one I used to connect my Sony spinner to my Onkyo amp, and never had this issue once.
I have 4 spare HDMI inputs on the back of the new amp. I guess I could swap out to using one of those and just rename it?

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Thanks Doug.
Have just ordered another cable from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. It's a good 'un.
But the cable I'm using at the moment is the same one I used to connect my Sony spinner to my Onkyo amp, and never had this issue once.
I have 4 spare HDMI inputs on the back of the new amp. I guess I could swap out to using one of those and just rename it?
Before bothering doing that just try the new cable. If you still have problems try another port on the AVR, and if needs be on the TV.

If you stil have problems you could try setting the UB820 at a lower data rate. If on 4:4:4 knock it down to 4:2:2. If on 12 bit knock it down to 10 bit.

The lowest demands on the cable bandwidth is 4:2:2 @10 bit while the highest is 4:4:4 @12 bit (both at 24p). The very highest demand is 4:4:4 @12 bit 60hz but my cheap amazon basics cables manage that without a hiccup.

Last edited:

Smiffy 2

Before bothering doing that just try the new cable. If you still have problems try another port on the AVR, and if needs be on the TV.
I'll do just that mate, but I only have one ARC port on the TV which the receiver is obviously going to.
I don't think it will be that anyway as the previous set up was working perfectly.
It's all pointing to a faulty cable or port on the receiver.......I think lol!

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
I'll do just that mate, but I only have one ARC port on the TV which the receiver is obviously going to.
I don't think it will be that anyway as the previous set up was working perfectly.
It's all pointing to a faulty cable or port on the receiver.......I think lol!
See my later comment re data rates.

Smiffy 2

See my later comment re data rates.
I did set my data rates at 4.4.4. on the new Panny but as I say, it was doing the same with the Sony spinner and the Sony didn't have the option of doing that.......

bmwracer

Hi all,

Noob here... Finally upgraded to a 4K TV (Samsung 65Q7DR) and bought an X700 ($128, Black Friday deal, Amazon).

So far, so good, no freezing issues after one month of use (knock on wood).

Fishels

Novice Member
Hey everyone! Noob here

Due to health issues I still live with my dad and he just bought us a UBP-700 Sony player for our living room. Our older Panasonic player has a fantastic picture but was slowing down(darn this is going on 10 lol). So my dad thought it would be a fantastic idea to go ahead and buy us a 4K player to future proof us for the 4K future. We still own a 1080p Sony tv from around 2015 and a Sony audio system. I’d be happy to get exact numbers if you folks need them.

So we get this thing hooked up and start watching our first film from Redbox. Ready or not. In case you’re not familiar this is a film set almost solely in the dark. Immediately I notice what appears to be a mild ghosting in the picture around edges. It just looks weird.. but then when the camera was moving around during action sequences it’s like the textures and walls in the background were moving independently from what was happening in the foreground. Super off putting. And the faces... there were a few distinct shots where it was like the main actresses face was drifting/drooping away from her actual face slightly. Like the edges of her face were smearing into the background when she was standing still. I may not be describing this correctly so forgive me.

This was nowhere to be found on my PlayStation 4 system upstairs on a Samsung. My dad is annoyed with me and says I’m just imagining this but I’m pretty confident you guys would see this. Next up is once upon a time in Hollywood. The vast majority of the film looked fine but again some of the motion looked slightly off and when I got to the night scenes I experienced the same “blurry face” effect. Not nearly as badly as ready or not though. This time I was able to replicate this on my Samsung upstairs with the PS4 but it was much more mild and turning noise reduction off helped. Again my old Panasonic player mentioned earlier looks absolutely perfect in these scenes.

I tried two “older” films(children of men and the descent) and they look fine to me. So it’s hard for me to believe I have a complete lemon. All I can find is people lauding the picture quality of this player and maybe it’s a “me problem”? If you’ve read my essay you’re a saint and I appreciate it greatly.

Edit: on another AV forum is saw someone claim the same as me but they said it better. So I’ll quote them.

“I can't get this thing to output anything correctly at 24 fps. Anything I play on it looks like it has motion smoothing automatically applied / 60 fps up-framing without any way to take it off. I've tried set options from the player's menu to 24p for native 24fps content, but that does nothing.”

That’s pretty much exactly how I’d describe what this picture looks like. Very slight motion smoothing which I’m Super sensitive to.

Last edited:

Coruja3D

Hey everyone! Noob here

Due to health issues I still live with my dad and he just bought us a UBP-700 Sony player for our living room. Our older Panasonic player has a fantastic picture but was slowing down(darn this is going on 10 lol). So my dad thought it would be a fantastic idea to go ahead and buy us a 4K player to future proof us for the 4K future. We still own a 1080p Sony tv from around 2015 and a Sony audio system. I’d be happy to get exact numbers if you folks need them.

So we get this thing hooked up and start watching our first film from Redbox. Ready or not. In case you’re not familiar this is a film set almost solely in the dark. Immediately I notice what appears to be a mild ghosting in the picture around edges. It just looks weird.. but then when the camera was moving around during action sequences it’s like the textures and walls in the background were moving independently from what was happening in the foreground. Super off putting. And the faces... there were a few distinct shots where it was like the main actresses face was drifting/drooping away from her actual face slightly. Like the edges of her face were smearing into the background when she was standing still. I may not be describing this correctly so forgive me.

This was nowhere to be found on my PlayStation 4 system upstairs on a Samsung. My dad is annoyed with me and says I’m just imagining this but I’m pretty confident you guys would see this. Next up is once upon a time in Hollywood. The vast majority of the film looked fine but again some of the motion looked slightly off and when I got to the night scenes I experienced the same “blurry face” effect. Not nearly as badly as ready or not though. This time I was able to replicate this on my Samsung upstairs with the PS4 but it was much more mild and turning noise reduction off helped. Again my old Panasonic player mentioned earlier looks absolutely perfect in these scenes.

I tried two “older” films(children of men and the descent) and they look fine to me. So it’s hard for me to believe I have a complete lemon. All I can find is people lauding the picture quality of this player and maybe it’s a “me problem”? If you’ve read my essay you’re a saint and I appreciate it greatly.

Edit: on another AV forum is saw someone claim the same as me but they said it better. So I’ll quote them.

“I can't get this thing to output anything correctly at 24 fps. Anything I play on it looks like it has motion smoothing automatically applied / 60 fps up-framing without any way to take it off. I've tried set options from the player's menu to 24p for native 24fps content, but that does nothing.”

That’s pretty much exactly how I’d describe what this picture looks like. Very slight motion smoothing which I’m Super sensitive to.
@Fishels - Hi there - what media are you playing here? Blu-ray disc? Anyway, there is some 'hidden' video processing going on with this player - beyond the settings you'll find in the basic Settings menu Setup > Screen settings - that might be causing some issues.

When you are playing something (may depend on the media) hit the "Options" button on the remote and go to "Video Settings". What is set? By default I expect one of the options that involves some processing will be set.

Select "Direct" (this should persist once set I think). As I understand it that should turn off video processing. All the other options - and there are quite a few - will be monkeying with the video output in some manner. For me, it's best to disable any such processing and let your TV do the processing (most of which for a high quality signal like blu-ray you'll want off).

Certainly I've not noticed motion smoothing artefacts or effects when playing 24Hz movie content on the player (once I found this player's hidden Direct setting and also turned off my TV's processing features producing this sort of issue) and I too am pretty sensitive to this. So IMO it's not a general issue with the player.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Fishels

Novice Member
@Fishels - Hi there - what media are you playing here? Blu-ray disc? Anyway, there is some 'hidden' video processing going on with this player - beyond the settings you'll find in the basic Settings menu Setup > Screen settings - that might be causing some issues.

When you are playing something (may depend on the media) hit the "Options" button on the remote and go to "Video Settings". What is set? By default I expect one of the options that involves some processing will be set.

Select "Direct" (this should persist once set I think). As I understand it that should turn off video processing. All the other options - and there are quite a few - will be monkeying with the video output in some manner. For me, it's best to disable any such processing and let your TV do the processing (most of which for a high quality signal like blu-ray you'll want off).

Certainly I've not noticed motion smoothing artefacts or effects when playing 24Hz movie content on the player (once I found this player's hidden Direct setting and also turned off my TV's processing features producing this sort of issue) and I too am pretty sensitive to this. So IMO it's not a general issue with the player.

Hope this helps.
Hello there! Yes I am playing a regular Blu-ray in these instances.

Some people on a different forum are also trying to give me advice but I haven’t found anything suitable yet. I have indeed tried doing the direct video thing and I didn’t notice any difference.

I am curious what you mean exactly about the other settings? I have dug into this players video settings and am forcing 1080p and 24P playback. I have tried looking at settings on my Sony tv and all the motion stuff is turned off. Although someone from the other forum told me that on a Sony TV “true cinema” is the actually not motion plus. But a way to play 24p content. Regardless I’ve not noticed a difference there either.

Anyway I’ve tried so many things and yet when the camera pans things still look just a little too smooth or almost sped up. It’s hard to explain but it completely takes me out of the film. Maybe a Sony player just isn’t for me?

I’ve been playing 24p content on my Samsung through my PS4 for years with no issues.

NameForMartin

Novice Member
Hello everyone, I tried using Dolby vision on the Overlord 4K Dolby Vision Blu Ray yesterday and it was causing a weird flickering/digital noise issue in the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen which was really distracting. I turned DV off and the film worked fine but I don’t know what the issue is with the DV on the player.

I’m using a Hisense U8B but I know the telly isn’t the issue as I use Dolby Vision content on my 4K Fire stick for Netlix without any of these kind of issues.

Anyone got any ideas? Thank you in advance! Please let me know if you need any more information from me.

Coruja3D

Hello everyone, I tried using Dolby vision on the Overlord 4K Dolby Vision Blu Ray yesterday and it was causing a weird flickering/digital noise issue in the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen which was really distracting. I turned DV off and the film worked fine but I don’t know what the issue is with the DV on the player.

I’m using a Hisense U8B but I know the telly isn’t the issue as I use Dolby Vision content on my 4K Fire stick for Netlix without any of these kind of issues.

Anyone got any ideas? Thank you in advance! Please let me know if you need any more information from me.
I noticed the same behaviour recently watching that 4k DV bluray of First Man. It occurred during the space scenes but only those with the entire picture being deep black space - other than the very small lunar module and a few stars.

My guess is its some issue where it's struggling with very near black and the black bars in conjunction with DV processing . I believe there are some issues with this and certain tvs - possibly earlier OLEDs like my E6. It wasn't great but did not last too long in this particular movie to really annoy me.

Never noticed it before only in First Man so far. Not for example in the space scenes of 2001 ASO . But in that I recall being disappointed with the black of space which wasn't. Black. Like the 4K of Interstellar in which space is even less black! In First Man it's inky perfect black -or very very close to. Hence I think this artefact. And it being of the tv + certain media rather than than the player per se.

So far I've not dug further into the issue to see if it can be mitigated.

Richardfm

Standard Member
I adjusted 100 milliseconds using the Options button on the x-700 remote. It did the trick. Thanks for the help.i now know what to do for future lip synch issues.

johnieutah

Hello all. I’ve just picked up this player to go with my c9 OLED. I know it’s probably been discussed before, but how are people using the Dolby vision setting? I’ve just left it on the entire time and have not noticed anything untoward with non DV 4K Discs and regular Blu-rays. But I presume it is doing something to the colour output somehow? As a side note, how the hell do Sony expect people to use this setting manually? I have no idea which discs have DV, from the packaging it is not clear!

Fred Smith

On all the DV discs I have seen the packaging is marked to indicate DV. Except:

Despicable Me 2, Dolby Video on case but not on slip case.
The Fate of the Furious, Dolby Video but not on case or slip case.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Hello all. I’ve just picked up this player to go with my c9 OLED. I know it’s probably been discussed before, but how are people using the Dolby vision setting? I’ve just left it on the entire time and have not noticed anything untoward with non DV 4K Discs and regular Blu-rays. But I presume it is doing something to the colour output somehow? As a side note, how the hell do Sony expect people to use this setting manually? I have no idea which discs have DV, from the packaging it is not clear!
refer to this page List of UHDs that contain Dolby Vision - Blu-ray Forum

low-def.

When playing standard Blu Ray discs on this what is generally the best settings?
Assuming all 4K upscaling off etc? 1080p/24p SDR?

Kallor

Standard Member
Just had another (non) reply from SONY re freezing.
"With reference to your enquiry, we can confirm that we have received no communication regarding this being a known issue.
Therefore, we recommend taking your device and the CD included to your nearest Sony authorized service centre"

They absolutely refuse to acknowledge that there is any problem..... and what has a CD got to do with anything? Their customer services is so 💩
hi,
just been through the entire thread can add me too the freezing club , had my x700 a few days it froze while watching apocalypse now at approx 2 hours in into the film same again last night watching interstellar around the same time these were brand new sealed blu rays , after the films had finished went back and watched the same parts again but no freezing that time and it played played black hawk down no problem.

but for them too say it's not a known issue is laughable there are forum posts all over the place and videos on you tube.

I've heard elsewhere disabling the wifi connection can stop it anyone tried that ? will give that a go and watch them again not sure what too do if not get a replacement but i could end up in the same boat :( or just ask for a refund.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Had the freezing problem - watching Jurassic Park Lost World - lip sync went then closely followed by freezing. How do you totally switch off internet on this? it seems to default to either wired or wireless connection.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Had the freezing problem - watching Jurassic Park Lost World - lip sync went then closely followed by freezing. How do you totally switch off internet on this? it seems to default to either wired or wireless connection.
Set to wired (which turns off wifi) and then yank the LAN cable...;)
Or perhaps block internet access for it in the router firewall if you want to keep home network access.

Last edited:

thelight

Novice Member
I recently bought this player and am having problems with Prime Video. Probably 9 times out of 10 when I try to load the app I just get a black screen. It sits here forever. I can return to the main menu by pressing home but the app will exhibit the same behaviour until I power off the machine, turn it back on, load another app (such as Youtube), exit that app, then re-load the Prime app. At this point it has a slightly higher chance of loading.

Anyone experienced similar things with it?

iangreasby

I recently bought this player and am having problems with Prime Video. Probably 9 times out of 10 when I try to load the app I just get a black screen. It sits here forever. I can return to the main menu by pressing home but the app will exhibit the same behaviour until I power off the machine, turn it back on, load another app (such as Youtube), exit that app, then re-load the Prime app. At this point it has a slightly higher chance of loading.

Anyone experienced similar things with it?
Just a thought, but do you make sure you properly exit each App, i.e close it down, rather than just back up/out to the UBP700 menu? I have had previous problems with the Netflix and Amazon Apps when using them on my LG TV and maybe this is a similar issue. If you don't actually exit an App, it can sometimes continue running in the background and possibly prevent a new one being opened correctly.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Set to wired (which turns off wifi) and then yank the LAN cable...;)
Or perhaps block internet access for it in the router firewall if you want to keep home network access.
Cheers doug.

From what I could see on a sony forum, some people seem to be saying that it's worth completely unplugging the unit periodically to give it a 'refresh' of sorts.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
From what I could see on a sony forum, some people seem to be saying that it's worth completely unplugging the unit periodically to give it a 'refresh' of sorts.
I can see a rationale/logic for that.
May just be coincidence but my X700 (and rest of my AV stuff) gets completely powered off after each days use and I've never had any problems with it. Gives the advantage of starting out each session with a clean boot from scratch and nothing lurking around in the buffers and RAM.

A clean X700 is a trouble free X700. Clean out your stale data :)
Think once. Think twice. Think clean out your stale data...

thelight

Novice Member
Just a thought, but do you make sure you properly exit each App, i.e close it down, rather than just back up/out to the UBP700 menu? I have had previous problems with the Netflix and Amazon Apps when using them on my LG TV and maybe this is a similar issue. If you don't actually exit an App, it can sometimes continue running in the background and possibly prevent a new one being opened correctly.
I'm not seeing an Exit button on the remote like I have on my TV - how would you go about exiting the the Prime Video app on the X700? I usually press the 'Home' button then turn off the player.

Trending threads

Latest News

Nokia 2.3 phone available in UK for £100
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to launch Documentary and Nature channels
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
StormAudio to launch MK2 home cinema range at ISE 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips OLED burn-in solution is 95 percent effective