Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread

Thanks for the advice, I am finding this all a bit of a minefield at times!

The Panasonic one will be a good entry level machine - but would I regret not spending the extra £70 or so and having Dolby Vision, is is an improvement on HDR10 from those that know?

Whichever I go for (if any) it's very much a 'bite the bullet' thing!
Would depend if you're likely to buy a lot of DV discs or not. They are only around 10% - 15% of the UHDs available. For many DV discs being able to play them in DV rather than HDR10 is a plus point as there is better highlight control which would be beneficial for your 2016 Oled. I enjoyed revisiting my DV UHDs which I had previously watched in HDR10 when I didn't have a DV capable player.

Overall the native DV ones looked better in DV than they had previously in HDR10. But the 2016 and later LG Oleds had problems with elevated blacks on some DV UHDs. The last firmware update for my LG E6 fixed that but I'm not sure if your LG B6 has been properly sorted or not.

With the 2016 LG Oled models the TV seems to process DV better than it does HDR10 (which may explain the better results I saw when I rewatched them in DV). Another reason why I also prefer the X700 is its ability to 'force' DV on standard HDR10 UHDs. At the moment only the X700 and the now disappeared from the shelves Oppo 203/205 can do that.

The X700 has been down to £139 at Amazon and is likely to do so again during Black Friday so it may only be an extra £40...
And as previously mentioned the UB420 (better features than the UB391) may come down to £149 again

But you have a bird in the hand vs two in the bush scenario at the moment with that good deal on the UB391. Pays your money and takes your choice time...:)

Last edited:
Just switched on my player to watch a film and half the screen has a kind of pixelated look to it. This is only when playing a disk and not in the player menu screen etc. It was fine when I watched a film about a week ago and nothing has changed in my set up. Anyone else experienced this?

Just switched on my player to watch a film and half the screen has a kind of pixelated look to it. This is only when playing a disk and not in the player menu screen etc. It was fine when I watched a film about a week ago and nothing has changed in my set up. Anyone else experienced this?
Perhaps cables? As a first step I'd try taking the HDMI cable out and giving both the ends a clean before putting them back in. What disc was this with? and do you get the same problems with other discs?

194A743A-7AEE-4EF8-80B9-D0838EFC6D82.jpeg
Perhaps cables? As a first step I'd try taking the HDMI cable out and giving both the ends a clean before putting them back in. What disc was this with? and do you get the same problems with other discs?
Yes I did pull the cables out and put back in again (didn’t clean them though). Also connected the player direct to the TV (was going via a sound bar) but the issue is still there. Also tried another film but same result. Don’t get it as like I said it worked fine before and nothing has changed unless the player downloaded some new firmware. Not sure if you can tell what I mean from the image. Might have to zoom in a bit.

View attachment 1066792
Yes I did pull the cables out and put back in again (didn’t clean them though). Also connected the player direct to the TV (was going via a sound bar) but the issue is still there. Also tried another film but same result. Don’t get it as like I said it worked fine before and nothing has changed unless the player downloaded some new firmware. Not sure if you can tell what I mean from the image. Might have to zoom in a bit.
Wow, that's seriously bad. You haven't switched on the 'pixilate the right half of my screeen' setting on the player have you...:)
Have you tried using a different HDMI port on the TV? Or doing a reset on the player and/or TV?

What is odd is that same repeated pattern over much of the affected part of the screen. Magnified it looks more like the pixel structure of a screen than a player type error which I've never seen looking so regular and defined. But from what you say only disc playback is affected. I'm stumped for an easily fixable cause. Either your player or the TV appears to be borked :(

Last edited:
So I think it fair to say the LGs doesn't show 2020 for Dolby Vision. Either that, or using your logic both the X700 and LG UP970 output native DV at 8 bit (which I consider very unlikely).

Well I must concede I didn't expect DV to be handled the way it is, completely different to HDR10.

The difference seems to to be the way it uses RGB direct. The DV disk I have behaves the same as the previous tests with Denon displaying 8bit but I do now understand there is a significant difference in handling.

Curiously I also checked the bit depth that is displayed with HLG and that also displays 8bit on the Denon.

Originally my Denon was not on the list to be upgraded for DV and HLG, late in the day they announced they would so hence my investment in the cheapest DV player around just for completeness.

I rip all my discs to nas and that will still be my preferred way to view them.

I am considering buying this player in the upcoming few days but would like to know some few things.
How is the player handling media files? I am talking about MKV X264 and H265 BD and UHD full rips with Atmos and DTS:X sound.
I don't usually like streaming media but would also like to know if the player handles these formats well over DLNA.
I also saw someone on Youtube mentioning X-800 player can connect to PSVR set via HDMI and runs movies 2D and 3D and even UHD in Cinematic mode. This will be a huge plus for me especially for UHDs because the PS4 can't play those discs at all.

Thanks in advance.

Still tempted for this player (decided not to get the £100 Panasonic one in the end as I want one with Dolby Vision) are there any good deals (or known discount codes) for this player online?

Still tempted for this player (decided not to get the £100 Panasonic one in the end as I want one with Dolby Vision) are there any good deals (or known discount codes) for this player online?

It's a great player. I've only watched one disc all way through and encountered one problem. Everything else, I love. There is unit to unit variation like all electronics. Many people have had no issues at all.

Sony UBP-X500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player | Crampton and Moore

Sony UBPX700 (Black)

SONY 4K ULTRA-HD SMART Blu-Ray Player w Dolby-Vision | Power Direct

Sony UBP-X700 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

Sevenoaks and RS will price match, they are both fair dealers. Sevenoaks also do trade-ins, though not advertised, always worth asking them.

Or, wait till Black Friday. Though I've never found any great deals for anything I have wanted at that time, myself.

...... are there any good deals (or known discount codes) for this player online?

....worth keeping your eye on this PriceSpy page :
Sony UBP-X700 (Blu-ray Players)

...Oh...and PowerDirect prices change overnight....especially Friday night, dropping over the weekend, then resuming higher price on Monday....noticed this when I was on the lookout for my 65XE9305 back in February!!

Last edited:
Has anyone else had trouble viewing 3D discs with their X700? I get the immediate message with instruction to use a 3D player, display, glasses and high-speed HDMI. Or, I get as far as a warning message saying "The disc has recognised that your player and/or display does not support 3D playback or your player firmware requires updating". I use an X7900 with PK-EM2 3D emitter. I've tried turning the player off/ on, taking out and re-inserting the emitter and 2 different 3D discs. Tried 3 different HDMIs from player to AVR. Player FW is up to date. 3D is still working from my PC. Does anyone have any ideas, please?

Last edited:
Has anyone else had trouble viewing 3D discs with their X700? I get the immediate message with instruction to use a 3D player, display, glasses and high-speed HDMI. Or, I get as far as a warning message saying "The disc has recognised that your player and/or display does not support 3D playback or your player firmware requires updating". I use an X7900 with PK-EM2 3D emitter. I've tried turning the player off/ on, taking out and re-inserting the emitter and 2 different 3D discs. Tried 3 different HDMIs from player to AVR. Player FW is up to date. 3D is still working from my PC. Does anyone have any ideas, please?
Is the dv option on in the player as have read that it disables 3d playback?

Martin

Is the dv option on in the player as have read that it disables 3d playback?

Martin

It is, kind thanks, Martin. And good morning. Will try now.

Is anyone having issues with this player freezing ? Watching Deadpool 2 tonight and it’s frozen and switched itself off 4 times now. I have to go all the way back through the chapter search to carry on watching. It’s driving me mad. It’s the 2nd 4K movie that has frozen and crashed the machine. I think I’ll look for an exchange for a different brand tomorrow. I’m very disappointed with the Sony products I’ve purchased recently.

Is anyone having issues with this player freezing ? Watching Deadpool 2 tonight and it’s frozen and switched itself off 4 times now. I have to go all the way back through the chapter search to carry on watching. It’s driving me mad. It’s the 2nd 4K movie that has frozen and crashed the machine. I think I’ll look for an exchange for a different brand tomorrow. I’m very disappointed with the Sony products I’ve purchased recently.

It's a known and documented issue, on here and other forums. Not all units suffer, as per unit to unit variation. I agree, it is a let down and upsetting and frustrating. It's pot luck, if you decided to swap to try another, could be worse, same, better, a bit better, who knows. And that is sad.

I've only watched one disc all the way through, Ready Player One, which froze momentarily about half way through. I can't comment further on mine. I plan to get the UB820 next, anyway, mainly to use the auto tone mapping in conjunction with my X7900, but I expect a possible image and audio upgrade as well. The X700 from memory, appeared to be a small jump in image and audio from my XB1, which is nice. No other complaints about it, really, great player, let down by these QC issues.

All the very best.

I am considering buying this player in the upcoming few days but would like to know some few things.
How is the player handling media files? I am talking about MKV X264 and H265 BD and UHD full rips with Atmos and DTS:X sound.
I mentioned earlier in the thread that it would play the video but not the sound...on further testing, it will only play 5.1 and not Atmos, but only when you choose the 2nd soundtrack by pressing Options on the remote and select Audio. Tried it from my NAS and from a USB stick.

No.
Deadpool 2 UHD has played perfectly twice for me all the way through. To recap I've never had a playback problem on any UHD on this player. Unfortunately it seems QC may be an issue for some. Mine is a good one, others seemingly are not.

Last edited:
I've only watched one disc all the way through, Ready Player One, which froze momentarily about half way through. I can't comment further on mine. I plan to get the UB820 next, anyway, mainly to use the auto tone mapping in conjunction with my X7900, but I expect a possible image and audio upgrade as well. The X700 from memory, appeared to be a small jump in image and audio from my XB1, which is nice. No other complaints about it, really, great player, let down by these QC issues.
I replaced a UB820 with a X700. PQ and audio wise there was no difference.
The grass is not always greener.

I replaced a UB820 with a X700. PQ and audio wise there was no difference.
The grass is not always greener.

Ah, yes, think you said so earlier. Grass may be greener, if one switches to be free of QC issues, though, and finds success. And it's mainly for the tone mapping. But I'm edging towards the JVC N7 now anyway, which has that inbuilt. Aside, current debate for other X7900 owners is whether to give up the strong black and native contrast of the X7900. Awaiting more feedback.

Hi all, I would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced problems connecting the UBP-X700 via HDMI to a LG 55" 4k LCD tv. I have to turn off the tv then turn it on again before it shows a picture on HDMI. this only applies to the Sony my HD-DVD Onkyo and Chromecast connect no bother. Also this player seems to crash now and again not what I would expect from a Sony. All a bit vague I realise but it plays 4k Blu-rays etc just fine. It even made a good stab at upscaling some old vcd's I have .

Hi all, I would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced problems connecting the UBP-X700 via HDMI to a LG 55" 4k LCD tv. I have to turn off the tv then turn it on again before it shows a picture on HDMI. this only applies to the Sony my HD-DVD Onkyo and Chromecast connect no bother. Also this player seems to crash now and again not what I would expect from a Sony. All a bit vague I realise but it plays 4k Blu-rays etc just fine. It even made a good stab at upscaling some old vcd's I have .

Have had a couple instances of handshake problems, before turning on player or switching input. I use a Yamaha A3070 and JVC X7900. Turning player off and on again made the picture appear. Nothing too troublesome for me, personally. If it becomes consistent, then I will be concerned.

The player has known QC issues. Not everyone has an issue with it.

Thanks for your reply. The issue is very consistent. A handshake problem as you say. The only way I can make a picture appear is by turning the tv off and on . Turning the player off and on again has no effect. If the tv and X 700 are off and I turn on the x700 it connects ok. Only have the problem if the tv is already on and I turn on the x700. Annoying but not that much of problem I suppose.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom