Sony UBP-X700 mkv file playback

htpc_rookie

I have just purchased this player (what can I say? if you want 4k and SACD Sony is the only make available). I have it connected to my Yahama YSP-2700 soundbar onto my LG tv.
if I play a 4k disc the TrueHD track plays and the HDR icon pops up on the tv.
if I play the same film ripped to an mkv file on my NAS I get a message that the audio track is not supported and the HRD icon does not appear. Having read other threads I kind of expected that the TrueHD would not work but the lack of HDR was a bit of a surprise. Pressing the Info button revealed that the Sony was using the HDR to SDR function. There didn’t appear to be a menu option to stop this.
if I play the same file directly from my NAS through my tv the HDR icon pops up but the soundtrack still doesn’t but this is possibly because my soundbar doesn’t have eARC.
Does my experience match those of other users?

gibbsy

I have just purchased this player (what can I say? if you want 4k and SACD Sony is the only make available).
Wrong. Pioneer make excellent UD players capable of 4K and SACD playback, which they excel at. Unfortunately Covid is currently playing havoc with supplies.

htpc_rookie

I stand corrected by your post. Assuming you could get one, I think that they are at a higher price than I am prepared to pay.
Thanks for the info though.

gibbsy

I stand corrected by your post. Assuming you could get one, I think that they are at a higher price than I am prepared to pay.
Thanks for the info though.
Some SACD discs can cost more than a player and set you on the road to bankruptcy. ;)

htpc_rookie

I haven’t bought a new SACD for a while and I don’t think I’ll buy any more than the small legacy that I have. I think my Carole King ”Tapestry“ might me worth something and i have some early Elton John (he started to go downhill after Madman Across the Water and Honky Chateau).

gibbsy

I haven’t bought a new SACD for a while and I don’t think I’ll buy any more than the small legacy that I have. I think my Carole King ”Tapestry“ might me worth something and i have some early Elton John (he started to go downhill after Madman Across the Water and Honky Chateau).
Mint copies of the multi channel Tapestry (usually in a jewel case) go for around £45 which has gone down slightly. The stereo MoFi version is around £32. Elton can be picked up from around £15 even for a mint copy for Madman and up to £70 for Yellow Brick Road. Here's the good news Honky Chateau mint is selling for £85.

htpc_rookie

My Tapestry is muti channel SACD only and is in a jewel case with an outer cardboard slip sleeve. I have Madman, Honky Chateau, Tumbleweed Connection and Yellow Brick Road. Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds?
Maybe I should have cashed in.

gibbsy

My Tapestry is muti channel SACD only and is in a jewel case with an outer cardboard slip sleeve. I have Madman, Honky Chateau, Tumbleweed Connection and Yellow Brick Road. Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds?
Maybe I should have cashed in.
War of the World is not worth a great deal. You could try listing them on our classifieds. Have a look on Discogs and that will give you a good idea of where you need to price them. I'm not an Elton fan so unfortunately I'd not be interested but I'm sure others would be.

You could list them here:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom