• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AnthonyMonroe76

Novice Member
I hope this is the right place for this question, I am new to the forums.

Basically, I recently bought a new Sony UBP-X700 4k Blu-ray player, and I am having trouble playing Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos simultaneously.

My first approach was to hook the Blu-ray player straight up to the my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR646), and then route that to my TV (Vizio M50 E1). The problem with this is that my receiver only accepts HDR10, not Dolby Vision, so I miss out on that.

My second approach was to hook the Blu-ray player straight to the TV, and then use audio return channel from the TV to get the audio to my receiver. With this method, Dolby Vision works, but I am left with some sort of Dolby Digital Audio (5.1 I think), but no Dolby Atmos.

The Blu-ray player has a second HDMI port for legacy receivers (I didn't think my receiver was legacy already, but here we are). With this, I can send Dolby Vision video straight to the TV, and Dolby Atmos audio straight to the receiver. The problem with this is that, for some reason, the receiver doesn't push any audio or act as if it is detecting anything from the input the Blu-ray player is connected to when the TV is set to the input that the Blu-ray player is connected to.

Oddly enough though, if I set the TV to the input the receiver is hooked up to, suddenly the receiver starts playing the audio from the Blu-ray player (in Dolby Atmos, no less). But I obviously don't see any video on my TV.

However, if I disconnect the receiver from my TV and set both my TV and receiver to their respective Blu-ray players, I get Dolby Atmos and Vision just fine. This is a pain though, as I use the TV's streaming apps through ARC to the receiver all the time (and not to mention that my girlfriend does as well, and while the setup without the Blu-ray player is pretty simple, even that can prove a struggle to her).

Is there something obvious I'm missing? Should I just use HDR10? Should I disconnect the TV from the receiver each time I want to use my Blu-ray player? Should I buy a Dolby Vision capable receiver? (I really don't want to do that). I've just found myself frustrated, as I was very excited to finally complete (for now) my A/V system, and came across this big hitch.

All advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

atmoscinema

Established Member
Try optical out from tv for streaming apps instead, to get 5.1?

Are all menu options set right?

AnthonyMonroe76

Novice Member
Try optical out from tv for streaming apps instead, to get 5.1?

Are all menu options set right?
Optical might be my best bet for convenience. I like the HMDI CEC between my TV and receiver (to turn on my receiver when the TV turns on), but if need be, it's definitely not the end of the world to lose this. I will have to buy a Toslink cable for this option though.

As far as I'm aware, I think I have all the menu options right, I've tried messing with a lot of settings with no luck.

AnthonyMonroe76

Novice Member
Optical might be my best bet for convenience. I like the HMDI CEC between my TV and receiver (to turn on my receiver when the TV turns on), but if need be, it's definitely not the end of the world to lose this. I will have to buy a Toslink cable for this option though.

As far as I'm aware, I think I have all the menu options right, I've tried messing with a lot of settings with no luck.
It just occurred to me that the problem with this is that then if I want to play something else through my receiver (PS4, Switch, Framemeister, etc.) to the TV is then that I have to reconnect the receiver to the TV through HDMI to be able to get video.

I feel like there must be some solution with using the Blu-ray player's second HDMI port.

atmoscinema

Established Member
The second HDMI is for sound only anyway i thought.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
QUOTE="AnthonyMonroe76, post: 26905408, member: 825860"]
The Blu-ray player has a second HDMI port for legacy receivers (I didn't think my receiver was legacy already, but here we are). With this, I can send Dolby Vision video straight to the TV, and Dolby Atmos audio straight to the receiver. The problem with this is that, for some reason, the receiver doesn't push any audio or act as if it is detecting anything from the input the Blu-ray player is connected to when the TV is set to the input that the Blu-ray player is connected to.

Oddly enough though, if I set the TV to the input the receiver is hooked up to, suddenly the receiver starts playing the audio from the Blu-ray player (in Dolby Atmos, no less). But I obviously don't see any video on my TV.

However, if I disconnect the receiver from my TV and set both my TV and receiver to their respective Blu-ray players, I get Dolby Atmos and Vision just fine. This is a pain though, as I use the TV's streaming apps through ARC to the receiver all the time (and not to mention that my girlfriend does as well, and while the setup without the Blu-ray player is pretty simple, even that can prove a struggle to her).

Is there something obvious I'm missing? Should I just use HDR10? Should I disconnect the TV from the receiver each time I want to use my Blu-ray player? Should I buy a Dolby Vision capable receiver? (I really don't want to do that). I've just found myself frustrated, as I was very excited to finally complete (for now) my A/V system, and came across this big hitch.

All advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
The setup to do what you want is
X700 HDMI main--->TV
X700 HDMI audio--->receiver

Receiver to be set to the HDMI input port that the X700 is sending audio on. TV to be set to the X700 HDMI video is being sent on.

If you want to get audio for streaming apps from the TV
TV HDMI ARC port--->receiver

There is no need to disconnect cables, just switch inputs in the receiver.
You may find TV ARC tries to switch receiver to itself. In that case switch receiver back to UHD input afterwards which should then hold (at least for playing a disc). If not, you may have to disable ARC and use an optical from TV to receiver.

Last edited:

AnthonyMonroe76

Novice Member
The setup to do what you want is
X700 HDMI main--->TV
X700 HDMI audio--->receiver

Receiver to be set to the HDMI input port that the X700 is sending audio on. TV to be set to the X700 HDMI video is being sent on.

If you want to get audio for streaming apps from the TV
TV HDMI ARC port--->receiver

There is no need to disconnect cables, just switch inputs in the receiver.
You may find TV ARC tries to switch receiver to itself. In that case switch receiver back to UHD input afterwards which should then hold (at least for playing a disc). If not, you may have to disable ARC and use an optical from TV to receiver.
So, you are describing my current setup. The problem with this is that, when the TV is set to the UHD, I don't get any sound out of the receiver (and yes, the TV forces the receiver to switch its input to TV ARC, but if I switch the receiver back to UHD, it stays just fine). However, if the TV is set to the input the receiver is plugged into, bam, immediately I get Dolby Atmos out of the receiver, but the TV just shows the UHD's second HDMI port text (something like "HDMI 1 is for video, HDMI 2 is for audio"). It seems to me maybe like some sort of handshake issue.

Additionally, I've tried disabling ARC, but as long as the receiver is plugged into the TV, it doesn't seem to matter.

AnthonyMonroe76

Novice Member
Don't follow.
The to TV and to receiver HDMI cables are seperate coming from different ports on the X700.
So how can the TV be set to that input?

Could be a handshake issue, what order are you powering everything on?
I found 1. TV, 2. Receiver, 3. X700 worked fine for me.

Have you turned off HDMI CEC and/or ARC in TV, receiver, and player? If not I'd turn them all off, see if it then works OK, and then go back turning them on one by one to identify which one(s) is causing the problem.
When I say that I've set the TV to the input the receiver is in, I mean just that. So I've switched the input on the TV from the UHD to the receiver (so obviously I don't get video on the TV when I do this, but then it suddenly clicks for my receiver, and the audio comes on). Sorry if I explained that poorly.

As for the order I turn on devices, I'm not sure, when I get a chance later I'll try different possible orders.

I just tried turning off CEC on all three devices, and that didn't help.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
OK got you, as I understand it.

Situation using single HDMI cable
x700 HDMI 1 to TV: picture + audio
TV ARC passing back the audio to receiver: DD+ audio (which is as it should be)

Problem using 2 HDMI cables
x700 HDMI 1 to TV: picture
X700 HDMI 2 to receiver: no audio

Condition 1
HDMI cable between TV and receiver
TV on UHD HDMI: picture but no audio.
TV shows "HDMI 1 is for video, HDMI 2 is for audio"
Receiver doesn't output audio

Condition 2
HDMI cable between TV and receiver
TV on receiver HDMI: no picture as expected as receiver is only getting audio.
Receiver outputs Atmos

Condition 3
No HDMI cable between TV and receiver
x700 HDMI 1 to TV: picture OK
X700 HDMI 2 to receiver: atmos audio OK

What happens if you select another TV input which isn't the UHD one? or turn the TV off?
Do you still get atmos audio from the receiver?

Looking at the conditions above the main difference between a working solution and the ones which don't is the HDMI cable between the TV and receiver. Are you sure you have both HDMI CEC and ARC off in both of them? It seems like the TV is forcing the receiver to select the wrong HDMI input i.e. not the X700 where the audio is coming from.

I've seen that message a few times when I had two cable connection for my X700 but can't remember why. I think it was when receiver (or perhaps the TV) had the wrong input selected for the UHD at power on or if I needed to power everything off and re handshake everything. But big difference I got picture and atmos in the end, and I had receiver to TV cable connected (but CEC and ARC off). Since then my receiver has got DV passthrough so I'm back on one cable connection.

Have you tried a complete power off of everything at the socket rather than putting the gear into standby? Tried different input ports for the UHD on the TV and the receiver? do you have the latest firmware on the X700?

Last edited:

AKC

Established Member
To a fellow Anthony.. I own A Onkyo Nr646 also with Sony X700 and oled af8 .I got around the issue by running video direct to tv from hdmi to the player then audio from the audio HDMI output on the player to. Bd input on the Onkyo amp.When the player starts it defaults to the tv audio so picture and no sound so I have to manually change it to bd on the remote then the sound works in Dolby Atmos.

AndyCob

Prominent Member
Have you checked the TV you have can actually forward a dolby atmos audio input via arc? Your post suggests it may only support Dolby Digital.

I suspect the issue here can probably be resolved by a setting somewhere. HDMI is sort of smart in that connected devices can see the capabilities of the terminal device and the player probably will not output two different audio formats via the two hdmi ports simultaneously. As your TV speakers are active that implies the TV is being seen as the terminal audio device and that likely makes the player downmix or limit the audio output. Typically if forwarding audio via arc there is a setting you need to enable on the TV to use the speakers of a connected audio system rather than the TV speakers. That turns off the TV speakers making the terminal device the AVR connected via ARC. So the supported audio becomes that of the AVR, assuming the TV can forward it.

If you use the secondary HDMI audio out the player probably does not output two different audio formats on the two ports simultaneously. So when the TV speakers are active the audio is on the primary output and you get nothing on the AVR. Then if you change the input on the TV that connection no longer exists and the only audio connection from the player becomes that to the AVR and you get audio direct from the player to the AVR.

There is likely a setting you need to change either on the TV so its audio is seen as off or possibly one on the player to tell it to prioritise the audio output on the second HDMI or disable the audio out on the primary HDMI you have connected to the TV. For the audio to the AVR to work on the secondary HMDI the speakers on the TV likely need to be off or the audio out on the players primary HDMI needs to be off. Depending on the TV that might be as simple as hitting mute on the TV or setting a speaker option on the TV or an output option on the player.

Basically if you want the audio to work on the AVR there should not be any audio on the TV speakers so the only audio feed is that on player's the secondary HDMI to the AVR only.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom