Sony UBP-X500 or Panasonic DP-UB150EB?

Indiana Jones

Looking at getting a dedicated UHD player (Xbox One X can be a bit noisy and miss not having a proper remote) and have narrowed my choice down to either the Sony UBP-X500 or the Panasonic DP-UB150EB but having a hard time making my mind up.

Normally I would gravitate towards the Sony but have read some posts about discs freezing on the X700 and unsure if this issue also affects the X500.

All I want is a small player that has one HDMI output, is quiet in operation and offers good PQ/AQ.

gibbsy

Panasonic have been well received because of their picture quality. If you want to watch any discs in HDR10+ then you are going to have to have a player with two HDMI out and your receiver will not pass it through. May not be a problem for you as it will be passed through as standard HDR. To get round the impasse you would have to have the video HDMI direct to the TV and the second HDMI to the receiver for audio. Currently I only have two HDR10+ titles in Alien and 1917.

Quiet in operation is something you have to pay for and some players are fairly noisey on UHD although certainly quieter than a PS. My player weights 10.3kg and the Panny you are looking at weight 1.2kg.

Indiana Jones

Neither my TV nor my receiver can do anything more than HDR10 so that was why I figured I wouldn't need a two port unit and picked these two as they are a similar size to my current Sony BD player and don't have room for anything bigger in my current setup.

gibbsy

To be honest HDR10+ is not a popular as Dolby Vision although most TV manufacturers now make both available and so do most UHD discs. I've been waiting for almost 18 months now for the HDR10+ firmware update on my Pioneer LX500 and it is two years overdue. I'm beginning to think the Pioneer are simply not going to bother now and use Covid-19 as an excuse.

I'd personally pick the Panny as I'm not a great fan of Sony after owning a BR player for a while. I gave it to my son well over ten years ago and it's still going strong, can't fault that for reliability though.

Indiana Jones

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I had the X500 recently for a few weeks recently whilst waiting for another player to arrive. I chose it for SACD support though that’s not important to you by the sound of it. It was quietish, reasonable build for the price and clean UI without what I consider to be unnecessary apps. Decent player Id say.

Indiana Jones

Ended up going for the Panasonic, that 20% off sealed the deal :)

Fush

Ended up going for the Panasonic, that 20% off sealed the deal :)
Do you ever use subtitles when watching movies? If so, you should definitely go for a higher end model (like the 820) that lets you reduce the luminance of the subtitles. Most UHD discs have very bright subtitles, that can ruin movie scenes, especially the darker ones. Being able to adjust the subtitle luminance (and placement) can do more to improve your viewing experience than most other picture settings will do.

Indiana Jones

Do you ever use subtitles when watching movies? If so, you should definitely go for a higher end model (like the 820) that lets you reduce the luminance of the subtitles. Most UHD discs have very bright subtitles, that can ruin movie scenes, especially the darker ones. Being able to adjust the subtitle luminance (and placement) can do more to improve your viewing experience than most other picture settings will do.

Only on Japanese titles like the Godzilla films and anime so don't think that will be an issue.

Bit late now though as the player was just delivered lol

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
this player can't do dolby vision can it?

Fred Smith

Unlikely as the X700 was released before it and specifically has DV.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom