Sony UBP-X1000ES Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

With Dolby Vision, this could have been the best universal player, and I'm sure they could have achieved it u set £500. Who would want anything else if all that were true?

As it is, this will be a flop

The lack of 7-channel analogue outputs is a major oversight IMO.

Plenty of people out there want a premium product. Just ask Oppo (who I wager will love this machine) :)

Why would such a flawed product get such a high score?
What's flawed about it, apart from the price of course. Aside from that it's an excellent player. Don't forget it's not aimed at normal consumers, it's intended for the custom install market, who I'm sure will love it.

What's flawed about it, apart from the price of course. Aside from that it's an excellent player. Don't forget it's not aimed at normal consumers, it's intended for the custom install market, who I'm sure will love it.

Fair enough, maybe that RS-232 port is worth the high price in certain markets. To me, it looks ridiculously overpriced compared to the competition and no chance of Dolby Vision in the future mean it's an also ran.

Fair enough, maybe that RS-232 port is worth the high price in certain markets. To me, it looks ridiculously overpriced compared to the competition and no chance of Dolby Vision in the future mean it's an also ran.
Well the lack of Dolby Vision support just puts it in line with every other player apart from the two Oppos and the LG. I totally agree though, for the average consumer you'd have to be nuts to buy the X1000ES over the UDP-203.

Assuming they don't need 7-channel analogue outputs...

Something wrong at the Sony camp. Missing Dolby Vision first time round ok, with the second coming no excuse. How can they still promote DV with their OLED/LCD and yet you still have to invest with a another manufacturer to playback DV discs.
Reminds me of a quote for George Bush " fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.” :laugh:

Something wrong at the Sony camp. Missing Dolby Vision first time round ok, with the second coming no excuse. How can they still promote DV with their OLED/LCD and yet you still have to invest with a another manufacturer to playback DV discs.
Reminds me of a quote for George Bush " fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.” :laugh:
In fairness to Sony, the X1000ES is just a custom install version of the X800, so it's got the same chipset and that means no Dolby Vision support. I would expect Sony to announce a genuinely new player at CES that does support Dolby Vision.

Maybe if it played cd's as good as a decent cd player via the analogue out it may make sense to someone looking for a one box solution? I have doubts on that though.

I would say the Oppo 203 is OK for cd playback but not great IMO. Played a few cd's and I didn't rate it that highly to use it again so have stuck to my dedicated cd player

Without DV it is a money for nothing taking into consideration other premium product from Oppo.

Moreover i still dont understand the Sony strategy being so slow in providing DV for all 2017 products line from sounbars to this UHD players and keeping in mind their really visually perfect under Sony Pictures production movies from 2k17 that having DV support on streaming platforms

In fairness to Sony, the X1000ES is just a custom install version of the X800, so it's got the same chipset and that means no Dolby Vision support. I would expect Sony to announce a genuinely new player at CES that does support Dolby Vision.
I hope you are correct Steve, their current DV strategy on products cannot help sales.

@Steve Withers

Excellent reviews as always. However, there is a suggestion the alternative use of X1000 and X1000ES can be confusing sometimes. Specially at the end of the second paragraph, last two sentences. I thought for a moment that you were referring to two different players.

I thought that Sony has lost their marbles until I read this comment. I could not understand why they did not include DV in such expensive machine. I agree that no ordinary consumer would buy this when the Oppo is considerably cheaper.

@Steve Withers

Excellent reviews as always. However, there is a suggestion the alternative use of X1000 and X1000ES can be confusing sometimes. Specially at the end of the second paragraph, last two sentences. I thought for a moment that you were referring to two different players.
I actually alternate between UBP-X1000ES, UBP-X1000, X1000ES and X1000, sorry if it causes confusion but it's deliberate so that search engines pick up every possible permutation.

In the US it seems a good buy at £450. A 'do it all' player (bar Dolby Vision) though I've not read any Hifi two channel reviews yet for the DAC quality. If the analogue output is great then it may be a rival for Oppo.

Nothing to justify £725 in the UK.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom