Sony UBP-700 4k Bluray Player Head Scratcher

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ducks, May 17, 2019.

1. Ducks

Ducks
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently bought this model and am wondering should I replace it. Normal bluray and dvds play fine but on the first few 4k discs I played, both discs froze even though I cleaned both discs before I put them in the player.However both discs did not seem smudged prior to cleaning so I wonder if the player is to blame. Sony support suggested unplugging device for 1 minute and changing the parental control settings? What on earth would these settings have to do with disc freeze?
    I will try another disc tonight and if that freezes I wonder should I bring the player back to the store, any ideas would be appreciated.

2. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Did the discs play OK after you cleaned them?
    And how are you cleaning them?.

I've had discs which looked perfect freeze/pixelate in two different players.
    Sometimes washing them with mild washing up liquid and then a polish with microfibre cloth works. Other times the discs still wouldn't work and were returned for replacement.

Also check you are on the latest firmware. If possible try another HDMI cable

If it still fails after all that I'd get it replaced. The laser might be out of alignment.

3. Ducks

Ducks
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I am trying another 4k disc now and no issues so far. The firmware is up to date and the hdmi is high speed.These discs are all brand new so I cant imagine them all being faulty.