Sony Tvs

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by EpoA, Apr 29, 2003.

1. EpoA

EpoA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone! or anyone :p

Need some help ... want to buy a new TV to replace a 15 year old Sony ... but I've noticed that these days the TVs are MASSIVE!!!

I only want one about 28in big ... Wide Screen ... Flat Screen ... 100 Hz ... Digital ... minimally Nicam sound ... have seen some Sonys around but I don't know much about the quality in terms of sound/vision/overall performance.

I'd appreciate any help at all from anyone with experience in Sony TV's!!!

Thanks alot! :)

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Old Sony set's were great, but since they've moved production in Wales they are gone pretty bad.

Don't let the brand name fool you... they have deterioted in quality, and relibaility.

I would only buy a 100hz set if you notice 50hz flicker. Otherwise buy a 50hz set.

A 28" widescreen is about 45 cm deep.

3. EpoA

EpoA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the quick post ... would you recommend any brands other than Sony?

:D Thanks :D

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic, Toshiba and Loewe.

Avoid the Phlips Pixel Plus sets.

5. EpoA

EpoA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ... I'll check them out :)

6. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a fairly old (5 years) Sony WS, 28inch and it is perfect. I've been looking at the newer Sony's and too be honest I also don't think much of the picture quality either.

Also very difficult to get hold of a TV that isn't silver nowadays, which is why I'm looking at the Loewe Xelos which is available in black and 28 inches. :D

Cheers

Ian

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, I will probably never buy another direct view set. With all the problems of various makes there is no "perfect" TV set.

And if it arrives with modestly bad geometry there's not much you can do. It's with "tolerances/specification"

I would go for a CRT RPTV or front CRT projector, at least you can correct focus/geometry/convergence to the level way past a direct view set can ever offer to the home tweaker.

Just my 2p.

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Join the 21st century -- buy a plasma or LCD instead.

Er ... why is this thread in the "Digital TV, Satellite and Cable" forum ... can I suggest a moderator move this over to Television forum?

StooMonster

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    He did say digital

As to Sony sets - well I think they are generally ok, but be careful which model you buy.

The 50Hz IDTVs don't seem to have many problems, nor do the basic 100Hz PAL only

10. bar

bar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a 28" Sony Digital check out the Dx40. I purchased the set about 10 months ago, very pleased with it, excellent digital reception and looks good. Also come down in price (seen it for £550 on the internet - i paid £850!), dont know how it compares in value to other IDTV's though. Certainly give it a look though.

11. EpoA

EpoA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the input ...

So far I've kinda semi-decided on the Sony KV28LS35 ... if I do decide on 100Hz ... it'll probably be the KV28LS60 ... any comments/reviews/feedback on these two?

Bar, I'll check out the 28DX40 as well

Thanks guys, I really appreciate ur help :)

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spend the extra and get the LS60, you won't regret it mate. It's a fine TV and you won't even realise you're watching a 100Hz set, you'll just be stunned at how good the images are, particularly via RGB (once you've set it up correctly, the default settings are terrible).

Here's some threads for you to read:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37326

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48356

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68281

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47778

13. EpoA

EpoA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mr Squirrel ... you've been really helpful :)

I've had a look online and found the TV also called:

KV28LS60SU at http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront/EN/product/KV28LS60SU (Price 549.88)

KV28LS60N at Dixons.co.uk (Price 699.99)

and the standard code KV28LS60 at Comet (Price 569.20)

It's 679.99 at the Sony Centre!!! YIKES!!!

Are these all the same ie Flat Screen versions?

Also, I know that this is a largely personal question, but would you recommend taking out a 5 Year Warranty?

I also need a basic Video Recorder and DVD player ... would you recommend buying two separate products or a 2-in-1 product ... I think Sony do a DVP NS 330? Any suggestions?

REALLY appreciate your advice/help!

PS Can you tell I'm female? :p

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are all the same TV, just make sure it comes with the cabinet (if you want it) and ignore the suffixes at the end.

I can't comment on the 5 year guarantee - that's up to you decide. Personally, I didn't bother. I have a Barclaycard and they gave me a free extra year's warranty so that was enough for me.

I have the Sony DVP-NS300 and it complements the set perfectly. There is a newer model now. Just don't buy a Pioneer DVD player if you buy this set as there have been some reports of incompatibilities.

I would not recommend a combo VCR/DVD player as performance tends to be worse on combos ("jack of all trades rather than master of one" sort of thing). Plus you also have the added disadvantage of placing all your eggs in one basket should one component go wrong.

I doubt you'll be using your VCR after you get used to the RGB quality anyway - I boxed mine up shortly after and confined it to the cupboard :D

15. EpoA

EpoA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey you know ur stuff huh ... is this ur full-time job or a hobby?Thank you anyway :)
    Btw ... I just called John Lewis ... they have the TV for 599 ... and they give 180 cashback if you buy a DVD Player as well ... sooooooooo hopefully I should be making my purchase imminently!
    Will keep you informed!
    Thanks again (Y)

16. EpoA

EpoA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Mr Squirell

I just wanted to ask you a bit more about the Pioneer DVD Players.

You have said: Just don't buy a Pioneer DVD player if you buy this set as there have been some reports of incompatibilities

Do you know what kind of incompatabilities have arisen?

(I found the perfect player (Pioneer DV 350) but then saw your comment :S)

Yikes

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Personally i think you might want to slow a bit and look at some other stuff, IE do you want a Multiregion DVD player? Alot of retailers will throw a basic VCR or DVD in with the TV try a few independants and the sony centre, mention the John Lewis offer and say you want a DVD and VCR, they might do you a special! Also go and look at the set in the flesh and have a play with the remote and the settings, seee what you like, check for any dislikes. I also urge you to look at a Loewe. They are like Sony used to be awsome!!!!!! Expensive but will last another 15 years unlike modern TV's that have a design life of 5-7 max! Tv's have become disposable, no longer an investment purchase!

19. EpoA

EpoA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol, yikes, didn't realise buying a TV/DVD would be SOOOO difficult! ARGH!

Thanks for the input peepz ... any model recommended Dragon?

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Depends on budget mate I cant afford a Loewe but do a search for Loewe and you will get the idea and a load of links, I am just trying to stop the dissapointing wish i had waited and bought xxx instead feeling that I have!!!!!

21. EpoA

EpoA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

Dragon ... had a look at the Loewes ... a bit out of my budget really :(

So ... I'm back with the Sony KC28LS60 hopefully

Having read the threads re Pioneer vs Sony, thanks Mr Squrrel, I've decided against the Pioneer DV 350, even though Richer Sounds were going to match a price I found online of 99.99 + the 10 pounds difference ie 89.99!!! :(

So now its probably going to be a Sony DVD Player ... unfortunately I can't locate any info on whether these are multi-regional or not. Anyone have any ideas on this? That's about the main feature I'm looking at, as well compatability with my intended TV, and of course, reasonable picture quality. I'm willing to consider other makes too.

Hope you all had a good Bank Hol Monday! :)