1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony TVs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by S, Oct 27, 2001.

1. S

S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is there any logic to the video input options?

I've noticed on my KV28FX20 that if you connect to SCART 1 (Composite / RGB) and select 'AV1' (i.e. composite) you actually get RGB if a suitable signal is available. However, if you connect to SCART 2 (Composite / S-video) and select 'AV2' (i.e. composite) then that is exactly what you get, even if an S-video signal is available.

Is this an inherent feature of SCART, or just a quirk of the TV?

2. S

S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Actually, this 'quirk' is really starting to annoy me.

The TV automatically selects 'AV1' or 'AV2' when it detects activity on the associated socket.

This worked fine when my DVD was connected to SCART 1, because I actually got to see the RGB signal. I've since had to move the DVD over to S-video on SCART 2. Now when I turn the DVD on, the TV selects 'AV2' in all its black-and-white glory. I've then got to hunt around for the TV remote to select 'YC2' to get the colour back.

Is there any way of getting the TV to select the correct input AND the correct format automatically?

Thanks.

3. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can actually set up the channel numbers on your TV to be RGB or S-Video inputs.

Go to Manual Programme Preset and select a channel number. Go to "SYS" by pushing right and press up until you get the scart input you want.

On my TV, it automatically selects the Channel number you chose rather than going to the A/V input. Hope this helps.

4. S

S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'll give it a go.

Thanks.

5. S

S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No luck I'm afraid.

I assigned 'YC2' to channel 0, but the TV still switches to 'AV2' when I turn the DVD on.

I have since discovered that the RGB signal on AV1 is in fact shifted left slightly compared to the proper RGB input, which stacks up with some posts I've read elsewhere on SCART.

On the subject of setup, do you happen to know the distinction between what's specified as 'Output' on the 'Video Connection' page, and the 'decoder' setting in 'Further Programme Preset'?

6. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :eek:
    Hi S,
    The only real solution you have here is to modify the connections on your Scart lead from DVD to Tv. It will stop the DVD player deciding which channel to use, allowing you to manually set the channel on the Tv. Open up one end of the Scart lead, either end, now locate Pin 8 (which is "function switching") and remove the pin or wire connection and wrap it up in electricians' tape (so you can replace it if you want) and re-assemble the connector and plug it back in. Now when you switch on your DVD player nothing will happen with the Tv, you select your Tv channel with your Tv remote, allowing you to choose RGB, S-Video or composite.

7. S

S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the suggestion Thor, but I think disconnecting pin 8 might also lose the auto-WS switching (which, unusually for a Sony, seems to work fine on mine).

I've had a go at running the DVD through the loop-through on my digibox so that both are sent as RGB to SCART 1. The TV still switches to AV1 when I turn either on, but at least the picture is in colour (if a little to the left) and 'proper' RGB is only one button press away.

(I've also discovered that RGB will actually work through AV2, but again it's a little to the left).

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I know exactly how you feel.

Everytime I want to watch an S-VHS tape, my Sony 32" WS TV auto switches to composite and displays a b&w picture. I have to keep manually changing it everytime.

Why do we have to auto switching anyway?

Why can't it be like my old Panasonic TV where you just simply selected AV1 or AV2 and that was it. I only had to do it once and not everytime I stopped and played the tape.

Talk about dumbing down for the masses !

The shifting of the RGB pic you mention is a normal side effect and happens on all TVs. It's a small sacrifice to pay for superior picture quality.

If the picture doesn't shift to the left then this is probably AV1 in composite mode and NOT proper RGB, well NOT RGB at all.

9. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been talking on a couple other sites and this "too the left" picture problem does not occur on every Tv, some dont seem to have this problem when using RGB, others had had extreme shifting too the left. I think it may have something to do with Tv hidden menus not being set up correctly or something Scart and RGB Tv sockets dont like. I sacrificed pin 8 because I was so infuriated by this auto-switching.

10. S

S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I only get the left-shift when viewing RGB using one of the composite inputs (AV1 or AV2). Selecting the 'proper' RGB input cures the problem.

To be honest, it's not that noticeable anyway: normal WS images still fill the screen. It's only really apparent when watching 14:9 stuff which has been cut into a nominally WS programme (like some of the reports on BBC News 24). You end up with a thin black bar on one side of the screen and a thick one on the other.

11. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    By what your saying it sounds like my problem with left shift could be hidden menu problems then. Hmmm, I'm going to experiment with the hidden menu.:rolleyes:

12. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a left shift when using rgb ON av1 so another press of the AV button corrects this when the TV shifts into proper rgb mode.

As to composite rather than S on AV2 and AV3 the only solution I found was to buy scart leads that only have the S pins in the plug. I have two DVHS decks and I connect these from the S video out on each VCR to a scart in.

Hence with the "fewer pins" leads, I have no problems with jumping directly to yc2 and yc3

13. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah with fewer pins you know what signals your getting and not the muddled crap full Scart puts out. I hate Scart.:rolleyes:

14. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Hear Hear. The Scart/Peritel/Euroconnector is so crap that, like Sellafield/Seascale they had to keep coming up with new names for it. It is the Work of The Devil.

15. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    'Proper RGB Mode'....

This is a new one on me.

Is this something that newer TV models have?

In all the TVs I have seem/used each press of the AV1 button simply toggled RGB and Composite and S-Video and Composite on AV2

16. S

S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    On my Sony set, the video input cycle is as follows:

TV->AV1->RGB->AV2->YC2->AV3->YC3->TV

corresponding to:

Tuner
    Composite 1
    RGB 1
    Composite 2
    S-Video 2
    Composite 3
    S-Video 3
    Back to tuner

As mentioned previously, you can actually receive RGB on the AV1 and AV2 settings, but it's shifted left slightly. If you select the RGB setting however (which is what I mean by 'proper' RGB), the shift disappears.