1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony TV's Delivery condition

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Stone Free, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I want to find out what is the proper condition that the sony sets are meant to arrive in. In threads on these forums there are reports that the TV's people have received have not been new, and the varying conditions they have arrived in.

From these threads it implies that the box the TV comes in should be sealed with staples/metal clips and not brown packaging tape, and that there should be a Trinitron sticker on the tube.

I have bought TVs from two different suppliers that have been sealed with brown packaging tape and the only sticker on the screen was the DVB sticker. Both TVs turned on the moment they were plugged in, instead of after pressing the on button as described in the manual. On the latest one I received the mains cable was also in a tangled mess.

I have spoken to two people whose TV arrived sealed with brown tape, but they have not found any faults with their TVs. I have spoken to one person whose TV was sealed with staples. Two other people said they should be sealed with both staples and clear tape but didnt say if they themselves had actually bought the TV.

Can you tell me in what condition yours arrived in, (how sealed ? stickers etc) and if you ever received a subsequent tv that you thought as 100% OK, and was the condition it arrived in different than previously.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to wait 4 weeks for my Sony set as the company i ordered from said they were waiting for the delivery from Sony, and it was 4 weeks ( the longest 4 weeks of my life)........ and when it arrived it was just as it was when it left the factory, intacked and unopened, so i know this set had not been any where else........ not ex-demo or a faulty one re-sold.....

I was also told to keep the box for 7days just in case it developed a fault and it had to go back......first thing i did was to get rid of the residue on the screen left buy the stickers.......

Best set in years, i have not got one of the promlems or niggles mentioned on the threads here.... i am 100% happy. ;)

3. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which model is yr telly ? The packing is different for different model.

My duff FQ came in a sealed box and you have to break the perforation on the box from the top along one side down. Because of the weight, it would be impossible to lift it out from the top. Mine didn't have a sticker on the screen.

The papers, remote and batteries were in a sealed bag. The batteries had to be inserted and tv had to be tuned in. The tell-tale sign of an "used" tv is the power cable - is it tied with a tie ?

I heard that on imports, the sets need to be slightly modified for UK broadcast when they arrived. (Has got a moulded standard British 3 pin plug on the cable ?) So yours could be due to this.

Or it could be one of those many esp the FS and FQ models (which are having the scrolling bar problem ) that have been returned and re-circulated. If this is the case, Sony has created a mess and given themselves a bad image by not dealing the the scrolling problem which resulting in many unhappy customer s returning set for refund.

Hope this helps.

4. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just rec'd my brand new FQ75 apparantly 'direct' from Sony due to various problems with old set. Mine arrived in brown box sealed with brown masking tape only. Remote and instructions were in sealed bag but no stickers at all on TV. No probs so far (but only got set yesterday and after all my probs not confident) but I was assured that this TV was direct from Sony itself, bypassing all retailers etc.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My FQ75 came in a sealed box (clear tape and staples). The remote, manual, batteries etc were all sealed. The power cable was neatly tied. I don't recall the set having a Sony sticker on the tube though.

Verdict? It was still duff!! Scrolling bars, focus problem, purity problem....etc etc...

My advice stay away from the FQ75!

This set going back anyway.

Hope this helps.

t3k

6. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please take note - Another very unhappy customer - Still unloading duff sets when Sony has given an official statement (to What Video & TV Magazine) that this scrolling bar problem has been sorted and fault was only due to "faulty samples"

7. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I emailed Sony about the delivery condition and this was their reply:

Thank you for your recent email.

Sony United Kingdom Limited send new televisions out in boxes with the Sony logo and model number of the TV written over most of the box. The accessories in the box, such as the manual, European Guarantee and remotes are wrapped in clear bags and placed in the polystyrene slots surrounding the TV. The mains cable would be folded and held together with a tie wrap.

If you are unhappy with the condition that your television has arrived in, I
    can only recommend that you discuss this with the supplying retailer.

I hope this information helps.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now received another TV which has the same fault as the previous one, only worse. It also arrived sealed with brown packaging tape, no staples.

Has anyone received a box with the model number on it, as per my email reply ?. Every single one of the boxes the TVs were delivered in did not have the model number written on it.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, mine did. The box had a big picture of the TV printed on the sides of the box. The model number and serial number was printed on a white sticker on one of the corners.

If your TV came in a plain brown box then this is not right. It is clearly second hand and I would demand a "new" replacement.

The boxes are designed so that one side is perforated so that it can be easily opened without a knife. The TV can then be accessed without lifting it out (not a good idea!).

If the TV had to go back then obviously the boxes will be useless once opened, hence the plain replacement box you've seen.

Hope this helps.

J

9. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Mine also had the model number printed on a white sticker, rather than printed on the box which is what I think the email reply implied :

Out of all the TVs that have been delivered this one was in the best delivery condition as the TV did not turn on as soon as it was plugged in, and the power cable was tied neatly, but on this one the fault (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27038&perpage=15&pagenumber=2 e.g tvfault1.jpg) is much worse as it also has a random black splodge on the screen.

Attached Files:

10. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you happy with Sony ?????

Bluestu on another thread has kicked off complaints to BCC's Watchdog after he had three faulty Sony sets.

Come on guys, let go for it these few days....i.e. email BCC's Watchdog.

We have given SONY long enough and they have tested our patient to our limit with their denials and also wasting our time (waiting for engineers who can do nothing, dealing with retailers, waiting for delivery, phoning their Customer Service which annoys anyone who bothers to ring up etc)

Please send an email asap to express your feelings. Together we should move things forward and get Sony to wake up. Thanks !

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +660
    I had 5 FS70s from 2 suppliers.

ALL came in 'used' condition!

There were fingerprints on the screen, the mains cable was a tangled mess and its just didnt' look new.

However, the instructions and manual was in a sealed bag.

My last supplier was John Lewis and they sent me 3.. All were in the same condition.

In the end I got fed up and accepted on of them.. But it still niggles me that it wasn't what I consider to be new!

No faults on the one I have.. Other than slight geometry problems, which everyone seems to have.

12. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon

You should let Sony know by writing to the MD. I suspect these are set returned by others for faults like scrolling bars but Sony don't consider them faulty and so they may have been re-circulated among delears and customers.

Five sets in that condition is unacceptablea and totally out of order. You were buying them from their authorised dealers, not from market stalls.

Please also email Watchdog to voice your concerns for something you have paid for new.

13. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Problem is.. I got bored of complaining..

I normally won't let anything drop until I get my way, but in this case, I just got too frustrated.

I kept on getting "We only sell/supply brand new stock" from everyone I spoke to and I got bored.

No-one would listen to reason.. I even told the manager of John Lewis that he should go to the stores, open a box for himself and observe that the TV had fingerprints on the screen.. Then he should ask himself whether fingerprints should be acceptable on a 'new' product.

But I just got passed around and assured that htey would take it up with Sony.. But nothing ever came of it!

I actually, have a couple of problems with the Set now.. Only minor things, but I am going to raise a fault report and see if they can fix it. Who knows I am might get another 2nd hand exchange.

14. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon

For what you went thru and fobbed off time and again, there are more reasons for you to take your complaints/grieves direct to Sony. If we all don't and just moan to each other, SOny thinks their quility control is great and customers are willing to accept such low standard. Don't forget you paid for yr telly, not given free by them and you expect something "normal" and no less. Very often it pays to complain to top when you have exhausted your options. Look at car prices all these year until recent, we were being ripped off and we just paid what the manufacturers asked for. A year of "boycott" by consumers two years ago and media publicities had managed to convey a message to them about prices - hence a slight drop in prices recently.

Sony has been trying to get away with the scrolling bar problem for months now - they can't say they were not aware of that. In November, I reported mine and at that time the dealers and service engineers were fully aware of this and accordingly informed Sony Uk. They did nothing but denials. Why then till today there is not cure for this scrolling bars if this is not a design flaw ?? One set after another has the same problem. We all can't be imagining or making it up !

15. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    My TV is going back tommorow. Has anyone bought one from John Lewis that was sealed with the clear tape, or am I just as likely to get one with the brown packaging tape ?

16. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Just received my Sony 32FX65U. The box it came in was sealed at the top with two layers of brown tape, no staples. The bottom of the box was stapled. There is no model number printed directly on the box, instead it just says 32". Of course there's the white skicker with model no on the corner of the box.

No 'Trinitron' sticker on screen and cable was coiled instead of folded. Instruction manual feels thin and the pics in the manual are poor, making it look like a photocopy. Can't be sure.

Can anyone descibe 'scrolling bar' so I know what to look for?

17. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stone Free, mine was sealed with brown tape with just white stickers with model no. and bar codes on the box. The box is printed with Sony, Wega, Royal Warrant (how they got this I don't know for the sloppy cust care!), stacking info etc in black. It has a perforated side for tearing down to get it out. No staples or stickers on screen. But I am certain mine was brand new.

As long as the side has not been torn opened , it is quite safe to assume it new. There is not way of getting the 32 FQ out without ripping down the side as intended.

Simon1, re scrolling bars - please read my first post in thread "Sony KV32FQ75 - Continuing Problem" you can't have missed that - it has over 3000 hits ! Or another thread by alan " f.a.o fwan ....."

18. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    >>Royal Warrant

Prince Charles like Sony TVs

19. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Stone Free,

I had 3 from John Lewis.. All were double sealed with brown tape!

All had:

Fingerprints on the screen.
    Marks on the case
    Mains cable a tangled up

The one I have now was like this, but I decided to keep it.

However, it always buzzed (they all have), but mine is getting louder.. Plus I always have had staining on the screen...

I have an engineer coming tommorow to take a look, but based on my observations from new (i.e that it was 'used') and am starting to think about going down the 'replacement' route.

20. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon

As a matter of interest, was the perforated side torn open and resealed ? The FQ box has this side so that you can get it out by getting hold of the bottom and sideward

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recieved 2 sony widescreen TV in the last 6 weeks.

Both KV24LS35S's,

first one from qed-uk.com . Arrived with brown packing tape, no metal staples. All instructions were fully sealed in clear plastic. Remote control was also in clear plastic, sealed with a barcode sticker.

The plug was tied with black wire at the back of the set. There were no stickers at all on the TV. This set was returned to qed-uk.com not because it was faulty, but because the useless sales agents a qed-uk.com couldn't get their act together and deliver the stand I paid extra for. (only got the matter sorted after writing a lengthy complaint to the managing director, got a refund after over a month of telephone calls and being arsed around)

----------

Second set arrived today from empiredirect. Slight differences from the set received only 5 or so week previous in delivery condition. This set had the plug fastened with blue wire on the back. And also the manuals were sealed like before but also had tape on them at the top. The remote control on the second set had one different coloured button too :eek:)

The stand arrived like it had been packed by a retard but everything was sealed and no marks on the stand components at all.

I dunno, when I ordered the second one from empire I specially asked the sales assistant if he could guarantee me that the set is brand new, unopened, unreturned and he assured me it was direct from the factory. (what else would they say?)

Might be my imagination but I think I can see grubby, unremovable marks on the top of the set, either that or I'm looking for faults because I know how consumers get shafted bad when buying TV's. Maybe I'm paranoid but I reckon they'd sell customers a three legged donkey if they could.

mark

22. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark

Out of interest, where are these KV24LS35S's manufactured ? I know come from Spain.Just trying to see a pattern of where these grubby sets come from

If they are new from factory, perhaps someone can set a pair of cotton white gloves to the MD and suggest to him to supply these to that lot in the factory !!!

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dunno, I can't see a "made in" label, possibly on the back of the set but I can't be arsed moving it to find out :D

However, the stand is made in the UK and the instructions and all other documentation are printed in the UK too.:D

mark

24. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 28" LS60 was delivered from John Lewis yesterday. When they took it out of the van the bottom of the box gaped open, and they sealed it with brown tape.

I didn't suss until later that you're supposed to open the bottom of the box to remove the TV (though I just lifted it out from the top). There were no staples in the bottom, so I'd say it MUST have already been opened, and therefore I wouldn't consider it 'new'. Stupidly I was so excited about getting my first proper TV I didn't mention it to the delivery men.

In terms of the TV, the cable was bound correctly, remote and manual all bagged, etc. and the box has LS60 28 written all over it. *Edit: no stickers on the TV of any kind though*

It does have quite a buzz, which I'll have to monitor as I've only had it for a day. Also seem to be a few geometry problems, but I'll have a look for Squirrel God's post all about this TV.

I'm a bit dubious that JL have given me someone else's returned set, but maybe I'm not as sensitive to the problems as whoever had it before. Not that this makes it acceptable.

Neil