Sony TV, soundbar and STB

dsouzac1984

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a Sony xbr65x850e and a STB that I use to watch TV. I just purchased a low level soundbar that has 1 HDMI ARC port. It doesn’t say output or input.

I plugged a HDMI cable from TV (HDMI 3 ARC) to soundbar HDMI ARC and a second HDMI from STB to HDMI 4

when I set the soundbar to HDMI setting the TV says switching to external speakers but I don’t hear sound. The TV input is set to 4

can someone help me? Why isn’t the soundbar working with HDMI. It works with optical

Hello I have a Sony xbr65x850e and a STB that I use to watch TV. I just purchased a low level soundbar that has 1 HDMI ARC port. It doesn’t say output or input.

I plugged a HDMI cable from TV (HDMI 3 ARC) to soundbar HDMI ARC and a second HDMI from STB to HDMI 4

when I set the soundbar to HDMI setting the TV says switching to external speakers but I don’t hear sound. The TV input is set to 4

can someone help me? Why isn’t the soundbar working with HDMI. It works with optical

hi, what is your soundbar model? just wondering if the hdmi on the bar is an input and if you can only connect it via optical..

ok so the soundbar supports hdmi via ARC, so yes you should hear sound.
so to clarify, if you have the STB connected via hdmi to your tv, and then tv connected to the bar via optical it all works?
but if you replace the optical cable with an hdmi from the tv arc to the soundbar, you get no sound?
if so, what type of hdmi cable are you using? My understanding is that to use arc, you need a cable capable of supporting at least hdmi 1.4...
is there an advantage of connecting via hdmi over arc?
cheers

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom