• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony tv - Sony DVD. B/w picture only. Help

mr scoops

Standard Member
I have a Sony tv (kdl32ex403) in the kitchen at home and have attempts to connect a Sony DVD player (dvP-f21).
The DVD is quite old but a good little unit, and afaik in good working order.
I am using S-Video out from the DVD to a scart video / phono audio input on the tv.
However, the output will only show in in b/w not colour.
Any ideas?

AndyCob

I think the scart socket you are connecting to doesn't support s-vhs, you are most likely connecting to the scart scoket via an adapter not a signal converter and s-vhs uses a different colour signal to composite or RGB video used over scart hence the b&w picture.

Either see if any of the scart sockets (assuming there are any others) accept s-vhs (many of Sony's higher end TVs have at least one scart that will accept s-vhs) or connect the DVD to the TV using a scart to scart lead for best picture or you could use composite video.

mr scoops

Standard Member
The DVD only has s-video out or component out.

Might be time for a new one as I think its around 8/9 yrs old now. Many thanks.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Note that s-video cables are directional so yours could be connecting signals in the wrong direction - unless your s-video lead or adaptor has a direction switch, in which case it must simply be set in the correct mode.

Chris Muriel, currently working in Madrid but normally..

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
The Sony EX403 does not support S-Video at all (i.e. there is no S-video input or Y/C enabled scart that can be used with an adapter). Since Y (Luminance) is pin common to composite then this is why you just get a monochrome picture via your scart adapter

The EX403 does however have a Component input as does your DVD player output you say. This will involve the use of 3 video cables and 2 audio cables. The picture quality will be excellent but do you really want so many leads between the DVD player and the TV in the kitchen?

For under £20 you can get a new DVD player with RGB out on scart which the EX403 will work well with.

Better still for only a few quid more you can get an upscaling DVD player and connect to the EX403 with an HDMI cable (£1 in Poundland) which is far less obtrusive than the scart plugs/cable let alone the Component solution.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom