1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony TV Scrolling Bar Problem - Official Response from SOny UK at last !!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by fwan, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sony Owners

An official acknowledgement from Sony UK acknowledging the scrolling bar problem on the FQ sets after my letter of complaint to the Managing Director earlier in the week.

The more of us write in to complain, the quicker Sony will act to address this problem. So please don't sit back because the MD has responded to one or two letters. If you prefer, you can email Sony to

SUK.GeneralCIC@eu.sony.com click here

I need everyone including ex-FQ owners to do this to get things into full gear. Thanks

A copy of the 2nd reply is posted in my other thread "Sony KV32FQ75 - Sony UK's MD name & address ....."
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=28721

Also can be found on Page 6 of this thread further down

The original threads that gave birth to this one are on

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=27973

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28721

2. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good News! I will e-mail Sony today to keep up the pressure!

3. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave

Thanks for that. If we all keep firing at Sony, they will take their sloppiness seriously.

Regards
    fwan

4. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi guys,

I sent a mail to SUK.GeneralCIC@eu.sony.com
    highlighting the fault with my set and all the other people I've come across with this problem. I haven't got a reply yet so we'll see. The fact I'm in Dublin may be enough for them to ignore me. Looks like this is going the right direction. I can't wait to see how Karl get's on with his tv thats down in heathrow. If he gets success then it should be easy from then on.

I'm not sending back my tv until Sony say there's a fix for it. I'm convinced it's a problem with earthing on the av sockets. I'm no genious when it comes to electronics but if I plug av cables into the front av socketss the scrolling bars are far less noticeable. There doesn't have to be anything connected to the cables.

Hopefully we'll get an outcome soon

Mick

5. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mick

Thanks for joining the Club. The more pressure we put on them by our emails and letters, the quicker SUK will act and take the matter seriously.

6. jimmyv

jimmyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I was going mad or my video machine was faulty till I read the comments. Bought my TV (KV32FX65) two weeks ago at MediaMarkt and have been wondering if it was my cables or something else that was causing the problem.

I'll e-mail Sony today !!

:mad:

7. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jimmy

Thanks for joing the club ! Keep the emails going to Sony to show them the scale of the problem.

What have been happening is that Sony has left us, members of this forum, to find a cure to the scrolling problem. We all have tried to the find the cause by doing all sort of thing, even moving the telly to another room with everything disconnected !

Let see if Sony comes out with a quick fix !

fwan

8. jimmyv

jimmyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fwan

has anyone had success in getting replacement TV's from the suppliers/retailers ? Looks like I'm going to get the secretary (she's German after all) to phone Media Markt and see if they have had any recalls, I'll keep you posted.

Jimmy

9. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jimmy

If you read the other threads on Sony kv32FQ75, you will find many of us have returned sets for a replacement or a full refund. Some have even gone thru three or four sets of Sony - then finally gave up and bought some other made.

Is Media Markt in Germany ? In UK, you will have no problem in returning a faulty set. No too sure about consumer law in Germany. If they don't replace, they must at least fix the problem if they can but Sony Uk do not have a cure for the scrolling bar problem. They are also denying there is a design flaw. Hence, there is no recall here. That's why you see so many posts on this subject in this forum.

Is your set made in the UK ?

Pls let us know how you get on.

fwan

10. jimmyv

jimmyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fwan

yip, Media Markt is a German retailer. I'll look again tonight to see where the TV was made. Guys here are pretty good at allowing stuff to be returned but unless you have a large van returning the TV is tricky.

Progress however as some fiddling with the video machine improved the picture dramatically. I had set the video machine to Pal-I which I thought was the correct format for here, but after changing the format setting to auto on the machine the video playback was excellent (I still cannot see what format it's playback is in but I'll try and find out). We'll see what happens when we connect the satellite and DVD system later this week.

Jimmy

11. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Just in case you have not read this on the other thread.........

Another positive step forward - got a reply from Editorial of What Video and TV magazine !!!

They have taken up the matter with Sony UK !! Very encouraging !!

We have contacted Sony and are waiting for an offical response. When we have news we will post it on the website (www.whatvideotv.com)

Unquote

We will have to wait what Sony is going to come out with this time !

:)

12. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a shock. Sony continue to deny any problems. Well I think I am ready to give up. I have yet to get a delivery date for my replacement (ordered mid December). Even the dealer is getting frustrated now. In fact I am going to phone my dealer now and tell him that if he can't get a delivery date by tomorrow, then I am going to change my order to another brand of TV.

I thought buying a home cinema system was going to be fun!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

14. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave

I was not too surprised with the response . Nothing new. So back to the retailers' engineers ? What are these' engineers going to do if Sony still has not disclosed the cause or the faulty part which is causing the problem ??? Send a replacement set from one of those sets returned by other disgruntled customers who had enough of Sony?

The big question is "Do S0ny know which part that is causing the problem ?" From the response, it doesn't seem to be the case from the vagueness of the reply.

We will have to wait for the engineers report on Karl's set which is being fixed by Sony Heathrow and the promised SOny response to me

Regards

fwan

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somebody on this forum already suggested a possible cause...i.e. software as he only had the problem on one particular version.
    Anyway, thought I would call the helpline and ask them what to do in view of the release to What Video and TV Online and lo and behold I was told to go back to my retailler because "we haven't heard of that one before". So, if everybody who calls is being told this then that is how Sony can claim "the vast majority of owners" are not having problems. They don't log it anywhere and pass it back to the dealers.

16. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi "John Lewis"

Are you writing on behalf of John Lewis Dept Stores ??? If so please provide some sort of verifications (your name, email address , telephone number, branch) for members to rely on your message.

If you are not, why are you putting this message up on this forum ?

Thanks

fwan

17. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like fwan, I am curious as to who you are 'John Lewis' and where you have got you information from. I am very close to going for another TV (probably a Loewe, although I will need to dip into my pocket a wee bit!), so if you know something, let us know as I was going to give up on the Sony this weekend!!

18. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis

You have not replied to my previous questions to you !!!

Identify yourself please, if your are representing John Lewis Stores.

If you can't or won't , we can only assume this is not from JL and I will let members to make their own guess who you are.

fwan

19. John Lewis

John Lewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Manufactures often monitor forums for feedback on their products.
    Please make your own conclusion.

20. yrrab

yrrab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all (new user)

i have just spent the last 10 days trying to find a new 32 in set with all the features i want, after reading reviews which trashed most sets.
    then today i reserved a fq75 from john lewis, only to come back and read all this. thanks!!
    where do i go now?
    i feel like just giving up and getting a 14in samsung.:confused:

21. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi yrrab

This is nothing new - FQ /FS/FX (possibly) problem has been going on for a good four or five months and Sony keeps denying there is anything wrong but then can't fix the problem except fobbing owners by saying "not a known problem" or "first time we are hearing this".

If you are brave enough, go for the FQ and join us lot of very unhappy and annoyed owners!!! SOny is still not admitting it is a widespread problem.

I am thinking of sticking to my 17 year old telly until every manufacturers get their act right with windscreen !!!!

Good luck

fwan

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well at last I have a reply from Sony :-

Quote:-

I am sorry to learn of the problems that you are experiencing with your Sony television. I can assure you that Sony products have an excellent reputation for both quality and reliability, although I appreciate that this may not be your perception.

I can advise, that having liaised with our technical department in this matter, that they have received a few enquiries from service agents regarding the symptom that you have described. As a result of these enquiries, they have commenced testing on the FQ75 units. At this time, they have been unable to replicate the symptom that you have described, and are currently performing additional tests in this matter.

etc etc

End Quote

I seem to remember that they saw the problem for themselves when Carl took his unit down to Heathrow so how can they now claim they are unable to replicate it???

23. cliff007

cliff007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fwan, I can confirm that the problem is not just with the FQ. I have a 36FS70 and it has exactly the same problem as you describe.

24. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have given up on Sony. As of today I am the proud owner of a Loewe Vitros (well I will get it delivered this week). The dealer I bought the Sony from agreed with me about Sony. In fact he has stopped stocking, or selling Sony since my troubles! They too tried to get an answer from Sony but they just ignored their phone calls and letter as well! In fact the dealer did a really good deal for me on the loewe taking £250 off the list price because of the trouble I have had. I would name them, as they have been great to me, but I am not sure they would want Sony to know who they were! If anyone is looking for a good dealer in Glasgow, just send a private message and I will let them know!)
    I will keep any eye on the outcome of the Sony problems and I wish you all good luck! I for one will not be buying Sony again!

Good luck Fwan with the campaign!

25. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much was the tv and what size etc

26. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I managed to get the Vitros for just a tad over £1500. It is the 32 Inch version. Not sure if I could have got it cheaper elsewhere but I can have it delivered next week and it has a good warranty on it. Just need to buy a cheap stand fro Argos to put it on. The problem is finding something that can fit my Marantz sr5200. It is deep wide and quite tall!

Cheers

27. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good luck. hope it solves all your problems. my tosh 42 rp should be here wed. i hope its ok. i cant take anymore of this stress

28. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave

Nice to hear to finally decided to get Loewe. I have been looking at them too. I will hang on to FQ for a couple of weeks before I too jump ship.

Wish you good luck and start to sit down at long last to enjoy. Thanks for your support in yelling at Sony.

Regards

fwan

29. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi cliff

Thanks for that. So the FS also comes with this hidden extra feature at no extra cost !!!

Has it been reported to Sony UK ? If so, what was their response ??

fwan

30. cliff007

cliff007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fwan, I spoke to customer services, and guess what ....'that problem has never been reported before'. I have just finished writing a letter to Sony UK's MD and that will be in the post first thing Monday morning.

The vertical bands are very, very faint on DVD and sky, but can be clearly seen on normal terrestrial transmissions, especially channel 5.......something to do with the frequency perhaps ?

I will post the reply....if I get one that is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.