1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony TV scart sockets

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by goap2005, Jan 25, 2005.

1. goap2005

goap2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony KV32FQ75 TV, but I have lost the manual and it's no longer listed on the Sony website.

On the back it has three SCART sockets. AV1 is black, AV2 and AV3 are orange.

Now my assumption is only AV1 is RGB, and this is indicated by the fact that it is black, whereas the other two are orange. Is that a correct assumption?

Assuming that I have at least 1 RGB SCART, will I be able to connect the component out of my Pioneer VSX 2014 into the scart using a component > SCART cable? I've read some conflicting things in other posts. Some say you can connect component to SCART, others say you can't. :confused:

(My DVD player will output component so I would like to use those outputs > VSX2014 > TV)

I also have a question about my general connection setup of my system now I have an amp etc. but I will post that in the cables section.

2. breszh

breszh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Regarding your assumption about the scart sockets:

One way to check which sockets are RGB enabled, would be to connect each in turn to the DVD via a fully wired scart lead. If the socket is not RGB enabled then the picture obtained with the DVD set to output RGB would be the same as that when set to output composite video - the RGB picture would be noticeably better.

Another way to check whether the sockets are RGB enabled is by looking at the small signs next to the scart sockets. If you can see three dots in a TV screen shaped box with an arrow coming out of it, then it is RGB compatiable. If you see an S, then it is an S-video compatiable socket. If nothing, it is only composite video enabled.

Regarding your component video via scart question:

I believe that Sony TVs do not accept component video signals via a scart socket. This is a non-standard use of a scart socket and as far as I know is restricted to Loewe TVs, but I may be wrong.

4. goap2005

goap2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the manual (thanks for posting that - just what I was looking for) it seems I was right - AV1 is RGB but AV2 and AV3 are S-Video.

I think that settles my dilema over whether I route video through the receiver or not.

I will do

SKY TV RGB Scart > Scart > VSX2014 Composite In (will upgrade to Sky+ soon)
    SKY Video SVideo Scart > Scart > DVD Scart In (for recording of TV)
    DVD Video > SVideo > VSX2014
    DVD Audio > Optical > VSX2014
    PS2 Video> Composite > VSX2014
    PS2 Audio > Optical > VSX2014
    VSX2014 > Composite Video > TV RGB Scart