sony tv`s

-Jay-

Ex Member
Reaction score
sony kv32ls60s i need to know abit about this tv doe`s it suffer from s/bars focus problems ect like on some sony tv.i watch sky digi alot plus dvd/xbox & need to know if this tv is any good. do all sony tv suffer from s/bars & focus problems.calling everyone plus (astonbilla) who has had a few sony tv :p

come on guy`s i need help on this one. as i`m going to look at some tv`s on friday.& would like some advice on this tv.

Liverpool, only DRC equipped Sonys suffer from SBs. In fact the new range of DRC sets do not have this problem. This is 100% mate as i have an FQ80 (which is going back).

how much are you spending on it?

regarding focus, i didn't know my FQ75 had focus problems until i found this forum. I think thats a bad thing as i was quite happy, in fact the SBs where not that bad. I sometimes think people make a lot more out of them than they really are. 2 Bars of light scrolling very slowly through the image. To be fair thohad it worse than others.

The focus on my FQ80 is bad at the sides and now that i have looked, the geometry is terrible THOUGH it was shipped via muppet link to Northern Ireland and the one before that arrived upside down, so i can only guess what happened to this one.

hi astonbilla i was hopeing you would reply as you know about sony. from empire it costs £915.48 so have you seen the ls60 if so what do you think of it.

i haven't seen it mate, only the high end DRC stuff. Its cheaper at unbeatable by the way.

What about the JVC??, no joy - or how about a philips 9617. I know that a few people have said bad things about them, that they are grainy or soft etc. However, it has had so many rave reviews and the one i saw in Currys running LOTR on a dodgy DVD player was superb. It was so clear the actors looked like they were in a studio.

If you could live with the SBs, you could get a cheap DX100, FQ75, FS70 or better yet (if the price drops) the amazing NX100.

Dont forget Loewe, they are true class matey

astonbilla no i couldn`t live with s/b & the famly did not like the look of the loewe so that is a no no. i saw this sony in dixsons last night. it looks a nice set & i have looked on this forum & have not seen a bad word said about it.so when i go to look at it i will look at the philips but i need to get the right tv this time after all the messing about i`ve had & like you said afew people have had problems with the philips.how come you have gone to philips.

Liverpool,

Do a search for "Sony KV28LS60" and you will find my review.

I have this TV and am very satisfied, as are many others on the forum.

No scrolling bars either.

hi squirrel god i have done that i just want to know if this tv had any problems. as they are a bit old & it gives people who have just got this tv to tell me if they have had any problems.that weren`t posted on the other threads. but thanks anyway.

Only "hidden feature" appears to be with Pioneer DVD players. People are reporting that bright colours appear to flash (much like watching a 50Hz TV I guess) with these brands of player when connected to an LS60. Hope that's helpful :)

s/god do you have sky digi if so what is it like on this tv.

I don't have Sky Digital, but have digital terrestrial connected via RGB. Looks gorgeous. No problems with the footie etc.

that is good as most of my viewing is on sky & i do watch loads of football.

Liverpool, i went for the Philips because (in magazine terms at least) it has the best picture available.

Also, picture quality always seems better on lower range tvs to me. I think its because less digital processing is used. More detail usually leads to more grain etc and noise reduction only seems to make images soft.

May the ls is a good choice then mate, but just because it doesn't get slated on these forums deosn't mean its good or bad. It may just be a sign of it not being as popular as other sets. I hope you finally get sorted though mate, you have my sympathy

Originally posted by astonbilla
Also, picture quality always seems better on lower range tvs to me. I think its because less digital processing is used. More detail usually leads to more grain etc and noise reduction only seems to make images soft.
I agree totally. Just to clarify for Liverpool, the LS60 is a plain 100Hz model, no extraneous digital processing. Noise reduction does indeed make the images soft on the LS60, but only on non-RGB feeds (I turn it off all the time as I don't like it).
Originally posted by astonbilla
May the ls is a good choice then mate, but just because it doesn't get slated on these forums deosn't mean its good or bad. It may just be a sign of it not being as popular as other sets.
This is true, however many members have actually said on several threads that they are delighted with their LS60 :)

At the end of the day, Liverpool, you have to decide for yourself by getting a demo of all the TVs on your shortlist and not just by going by the advice on the forum. It's you that's going to be watching it after all and we all have different preferences ;)

Good luck :)

ive had the ls60 for a couple of weeks and im more than happy with it.....even the mrs likes it.....
I havn't encountered any problems with it and the picture is stunning...

:D

cheers guys
all my stuff is connected with rgb so the soft picture should not be a problem.i`m not after a real fancy tv just one with a good picture like on my tosh.but without the faults on the picture so i`ll look at this tv tonight & let you know on monday when i get back to work.

one more point can you leave this tv on wide if i set all my stuff to wide.cheers

hi
on my tosh i switched auto switching off & put my digi box/dvd/xbox to widescreen as i don`t like watching 4.3 with the black bars on the l&r of the screen.so by doing this it forced the tv to stay in widescreen mode.so can i do the same with this tv.

Yes, it lets you choose what mode you want to watch 4:3 material in, so you can set the 4:3 to be watched in wide mode and then it won't switch. You just need to turn off the Auto Format option before you do this, then the first time something comes on in 4:3 mode, switch to wide mode and it will remember this. It will remember your option for each scart socket too, so oif you want this for all scarts then you will need to set it for each scart in turn.

Why you would want to do this though is beyond me mate! 4:3 material in wide mode mode will be totally distorted! Smart mode is better for 4:3 material if you don't like the black bars down the left and right hand sides.

so it is called smart mode on this tv.it was superlive or wide on the tosh superlive kept the middle of the picture as it should be & streched the edges.but i did not like it so i put it in wide & it was a lot better alot of people use wide on the tosh because they don`t like the effect superlive gives.

Like everyone else on this forum who owns an LS60, I'm well happy with it. I run Sky Digital and the picture (as long as the quality of the broadcast is good) is superb.

I did have 2 problems with mine though. It didn't like my Pioneer DVD but I've since bought a Tosh 220 and the picture is stunning.
I've also got a little geometry problem which I trying to sort out a replacement.

i`ve got the same dvd player. but it is connected with component cables that cost me £60.00 but if i get this tv i will have to connect it by scart .so i`ve wasted £60.00 but what the heck.i just need a good tv.was it the top & bottom line that was out on the geometry.as i had this problem on the tosh.

Originally posted by liverpool
was it the top & bottom line that was out on the geometry.as i had this problem on the tosh.

No, it's an upward bend in the bottom cemtre of the screen, mostly noticable when watching 2.35:1 DVD's, something like Sky Sports News or when you put on Sky's EPG. The missus doesn't notice it but I know it's there and it's bugging the hell out of me!! :mad:

Found this picture in another thread and the bottom of this screen is what it looks like.

picture_bend.jpg

Just to add to the other guys comments on this model, I've had mine for 2 months now and I can't praise it enough.

Excellent sound & picture quality; I also have Sky digibox thru AV1 and the picture is crystal clear, no probs there.

I had loads of hassle with Comet after having 4 faulty sets, 3 Thomson & 1 Toshiba, so its fab to now have a set with no probs AND a free 5yr warranty from JL.

anyway, good luck.........;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom