Question Sony TV & Netflix Problem

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Bada Bing, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a KDL-48W705C in my living room, and a KDL-W605C on my media room. Both TV's seem welded to 720p on Netflix and won't go above it.

I have 36Mb/s Sky Fibre and am regularly getting that sort of bandwidth on speed tests and downloads.

I've tried the TV's on Ethernet and wireless and they both still top out at 720p. I've also tried several different wireless channels on the Sky hub to no avail. However if I use Netflix on my PS4 I get 1080p straight away.

It looks like the Sony TV's Netflix app, accessed through the horrible opera store is the problem. Netflix say there's nothing wrong and Sony were downright insulting. Sky say they don't throttle connections, so no one is helping at all.

Anyone else suffering from this problem? The TV's do occasionally get to 1080p but it's now becoming the exception rather than the rule. It's really getting me down because absolutely none of the 3 parties will accept blame or offer help.

2. Andrew1472

Andrew1472

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    Yes.
    It's definitely the TV, not Sky or Netflix.
    The W905 won't stream at the highest quality either, though it does at least get to 1080.
    I gave up on it.
    My solution was a Roku 2. It's a better UI and faster than the app on the TV and most importantly goes straight up to 1080 at 5800kbps and stays there.
    It was worth every penny.
    Roku 2 Streaming Media Player with Faster Processor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

3. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does the 905 use the same opera store travesty for apps?

After speaking to Netflix they advised me to set my account back up to full streaming experience. I dropped it down to auto when I first noticed the issue.

It had no effect straight away but just checked both TV's and I'm back to 1080p. Not sure how long it'll last though, because the account has been set to full for about 3yrs.

I've got an Apple TV I could use but it keeps blowing fuses. I also refuse to spend any more on something that should bloody well work by itself!

4. Andrew1472

Andrew1472

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    The browser is Opera, so I guess so. I don't even have the TV connected to the Internet anymore. It has nothing I need.

I would rather spend a relatively small amount to get the best performance and avoid getting stressed, but I understand your point of view.

By the way I have "Example short 23.976" saved on my Netflix list for diagnosing speeds. Not an exciting watch, but useful.

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sat down to watch a film and I'm back to 720p again...

6. Andrew1472

Andrew1472

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    I thought it might do that. It matches what mine does.
    You will ruin that brick wall by banging your head against it.
    Spending money is the only way round it.

7. RobManser

RobManser
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having this problem with my Sony KDL-50W705B. Netflix refuses to go over 720p, despite me setting 'full hd' in Netflix's playback settings.

The first odd thing is the connection speed that the TV's Netflix app is reporting - wi-fi was 12Mbps, even though every device we own (two iPads, two iPhones, a laptop and a desktop PC) is recording 45-50Mbps all over the house with a multitude of speed checker apps and websites. I tried stretching an ethernet cable from our router modem to the TV and that's getting us 25Mbps, which is bizarrely slow for a wired connection, and equally odd that it's double the TV's wireless signal of 12Mbps from a router sat 4 metres from it! Anyhow, that should be enough for 1080p, but Netflix still won't do it.

iPlayer, YouTube and Amazon Prime can all stream at 1080p on the TV without an issue. I can even do this whilst someone else is watching 1080p at the same time on their smartphone - no issues at all.

I've just phoned Netflix and they have no idea. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks.

8. Nativebon

Nativebon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    I had an experience similar with my older Sony TV set. I never realised I had a problem cause I only made a subscription to Netflix after owning the TV set for 2yrs or there about. When watching Netflix it just kept cutting out and showing error message. Neither Sony or Netflix agreed to the problem, just blaming each other.

In the end Sony agreed to pay for an Amazon fire stick. I really had to put my foot down for that to happen. By this time my TV set was just over two years old.

Sony still had a reasonable customer service then not sure if that would still apply now, but it's worth asking to see if Sony would pay for expense of a streaming device. All this happened about 8 months ago may be a bit more.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018