1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony tv keeps switching off *help?*

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pja, Jun 15, 2004.

1. pja

pja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an old Sony KV29FXU (I think) and it has started to switch itself off for no reason. The screen will go black with a red squiggle on top and switch off. The led underneath will flash on/off twice then repeat and I have to switch it off manually as the remote does nothing.

Does this sound like my tube is going or maybe the red part of the gun is dodgy? I'm going to call Sony and ask for advice (it's over 5 years old so no guarantee) but was just curious to see whether this has happened to anyone else?

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many tv's are designed to automatically switch into standby with a flashing LED when they develop a severe problem.

It's hard to know what the problem is, but it's safe to say that it's beyond the DIY tips of us tweakers :( .

As you say, your best option is contact a service centre.

3. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Sony television that did exactly the same. Mine was due to to a failure with a capacitor and took a repair centre a few minutes to diagnose and repair. The TV has now continued to operate correctly without failure for nearly 5 years.

Your locally approved Sony repair centre should be able to help.

4. pja

pja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot guys. Hopefully it is a capacitor to blame. Too skint to affod a really expensive repair :(

5. gbcasual

gbcasual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +958
    I have a Sony KV28 (WS2U?) exhibiting the same problem. Typically, it started occurring just after the 5yr warranty expired. Searching the web I saw that there were many possibilities that could cause this. Some really cheap like a capacitor, others really expensive!

If you can't afford the repair just yet, I found a trick that seems to get my TV working again. You basically go into the hidden service menu, but make sure you don't change anything as you could really mess the TV up!!!

When it's turned itself off (note it probably won't turn on properly at all soon) press the following buttons on the remote:
    Standby
    Info (small box with an I or I+ in it)
    Vol +
    Empty Box (Hey, I don't know what to call it. It's got a symbol like an empty box, slightly curved like an older TV screen would be. Didn't want to say TV button as there is one of those on my remote!)

The buttons need to be pressed within 1 second of each other.

If you do it correctly, the TV comes back on with TT-- in the top right corner. Make sure you then enter 00 on the remote to exit the menu so you don't change anything.

I can't stress this last point highly enough!!! :lesson:

Good luck......

Jon

6. pja

pja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jon thanks for that tip :) . I will try it the next time it switches off. Does this method solve your problem or is it just a temp fix? If I switch mine off and leave it off for a while it seems to be ok. Overheating perhaps?

7. gbcasual

gbcasual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +958
    pja

Doing this merely gets you working again. The problem is still evident each time I turn the TV on.

My local Sony approved repair shop will fault find on the TV for £25 and then give an estimate for full repair but it takes 7-10 days and I don't want to do that while the footie is on ;-)

When I know how much the fix will be, I'll then weigh up getting it fixed, or buying a new one.

I am of course hoping that it will be a cheap fix as the picture on it is quality!!

Cheers

Jon

8. Tuksumdoin2

Tuksumdoin2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: I've had 4 SONY KF42SX300U and every one switches them selfs off been since told it a software problem
    anyone else had same trouble

9. Tuksumdoin2

Tuksumdoin2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sony have told me it a software problem