Sony TV KDL32EX503, blue ray BDP S370 connecting via Wi FI

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by mamou32, Feb 14, 2014.

1. mamou32

mamou32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Ive had a KDL 32EX503 tv and blue ray player BDP s370and never connected to the internet as my router is in another room. At the time of buying I was unsure if the dongle would work as reviews didnt seem very good and I have thick walls and the price put me of. Would like it to watch lovefilm and iplayer. Cant find the dongle for sale anywhere now and was wondering if homeplugs or a wi fi bridge would be a better option. I am a complete novice at this and have been trying to read up on it but really need advice on what I am exactly looking for eg. model and if anyone has a similar set up some advive on how to proceed. Dont know if I should connect to TV or blue ray and dont wont to make a mistake in buying the wrong hardware.
    Hope this isnt too basic a question Im not too technical,also hope I am in the right forum for this
    Thanks

2. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    First you need to find out what your synch speed is from your modem home page. The speed in mega bits per second that your modem connects at. To be comfortable to watch video ata decent quality without buffering something over 10 mb/s should do at the modem.

If you pay for hard wired cable installation that speed will be fed to each device (near enough). Homeplugs probably next best and then wireless bridge since you describe some factors that will effect wireless.

200 mb/s Homeplugs should be fine - I use these for connecting several video devices. I am in Australia though so not sure what you have available. I think mine are Netcomm NP205 or something like that - not home to check! They have AC pass through so the socket isn't used up. They do mean the plug sticks out a long way from the socket so a pain if you are trying to get them behind things...... Mine do not work at all on a power board plugged into a socket and this is generally to be avoided anyway. I have been in houses where the Homeplugs do not talk on different circuits but all makers and best Googling suggests this should work. Current house they all work. You can also add a cheap wired router/switch so the one plug gives you several outlets.

Wireless bridges depend on the wireless signal at the device. Presuming you have a wireless modem/router ready and a wireless laptop sit near the devices and connect to the Internet. Download several files at once and add together the download speeds. This will use the available bandwidth and give a better indication of the speed the wireless connection will give. I it is below 8-10 mb/s it may be best to avoid the expense of a wireless bridge or extender.

3. mamou32

mamou32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

4. mamou32

mamou32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Checked my wi fi signal and its better than I thought, and due to a shortage in plug points near the router have gone for Netgear wnce3001. The price on Amazon was £29 so within budget and cheaper than the dongle. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks for all the advice