Sony TV exchange under warranty

nwgilbert

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if someone can help with the following as I don’t know a great deal about televisions when comparing different ranges and what to look for.

Sony replaced my TV under warranty a while back.

• Original purchase - KD-65XE7093

• Under warranty they replaced with the following model - KD-65XG7093

• I wasn’t happy with the replacement for a few reasons, so they’ve offered the following in exchange - KD-65XH9505

The model they're proposing KD-65XH9505 looks good cos it's 120hz and supposedly better quality screen and materials but I don’t know much about televisions so I was wondering if someone can advise on the comparison?

I noticed that the energy rating on my current one is A+ but the new one they're offering is G (considerably more to power in the long run) but was wondering if it's worth it.

I'll link them below. Any advice would be really appreciated!

CURRENT MODEL THEY’VE PROVIDED:

NEW MODEL THEY’RE OFFERING:

It's way better and you should grab it with both arms and hug it.

You'll be able to watch decent HDR on it as opposed to your current and the other replacement.

To be fair the replacement they've already given you seems a fair exchange.

Thanks for your reply.
The main reason for writing back to them to explain I wasn't happy with the original replacement was because the KD-65XG7093 sits at a slant leaning backwards - I'm not entirely sure why that would be but its very noticable!

Okay so it sounds like the KD-65XH9505 is a good exchange, regardless of the extra power consumption. I wasn't sure how much that power consumption would be from A+ to G energy rating?

Thanks for your reply.
The main reason for writing back to them to explain I wasn't happy with the original replacement was because the KD-65XG7093 sits at a slant leaning backwards - I'm not entirely sure why that would be but its very noticable!

Okay so it sounds like the KD-65XH9505 is a good exchange, regardless of the extra power consumption. I wasn't sure how much that power consumption would be from A+ to G energy rating?
Are you sure you’re comparing like with like on energy? The Sony can go very bright for HDR content so maybe the G is worst case scenario?

LCD energy consumption is pretty low regardless, it may cost a couple of quid more a year for a far better TV. Just turn it off when not watching

John Lewis explain this on their product description, click on the i

The energy label ratings are changed periodically so they're not comparable between old and new appliances.

However, the measurements only changed this year, so the XH95 was also rated under the old scale:
1619526547364.png

Bear in mind these labels are not like for like comparisons to begin with. For example they're measured at settings out of the box rather than having all TVs set to the same brightness (a major factor in power consumption). So even TVs that are going to be identical one you've adjusted them to a comfortable display in your room can be a couple of grades different.

I would expect a high end TV to consume a a little more power though. The cutting tech in it just isn't as well optimised yet as the slightly older tech you'd find in a mid-range model.

In terms of actual power consumption it's going to be tricky to find somewhere that tested both at 65" set to the same brightness.

Looking around the French site Les Numeriques tested a 55" XE70 and a 65" XH95. The XE70 result was 60W and the XH95 result was 90W. However smaller TVs consume less power . If we look at the energy label figures for the 55" and 65" XE70 TVs then the 65" consumed 30% more than the 55"

If we adjust the Les Numeriques figure for size we get an estimated 78W for the 65" XE70 and 90W for the XH95.

Thanks for all the feedback. So it seems the energy consumption won't make a great difference in cost to power.

All in all it appears the proposed model is better and I will be accepting this.

Thanks for all the feedback. So it seems the energy consumption won't make a great difference in cost to power.

All in all it appears the proposed model is better and I will be accepting this.
Certainly better, pretty much the best LCD this year

12W if run for 4 hours a day on average will be a total of 12.72Kwh in a year. As electricity is around 15-20p per kWh it's just a few pounds extra.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom