Sony TV Comparison - 2019 model vs 2021

nl92

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a new 65 LG C1 OLED tomorrow but was just curious how my current Sony 65X900F 2019 model compares to the 2021 Sony X90J. I do really like the XF900F and it generally suits my uses but as I've posted before, the TV suffers (my TV anyway) with severe blooming and haloing when playing HDR content, particularly in the black bars of movies. I understand that this is a common issue with FALD LED TVs but I was curious if the X90J suffers as badly with this issue. I'd also be curious to know what other improvements the X90J has over the XF900F or vice versa what the X900F does better than the newer X90J? Although I'm fairly set on the C1 OLED, a friend of mine has a brand new unwanted 75X90J and has offered it to me for substantially less than the 65 OLED and it has planted a small seed of doubt. So if anybody has knowledge on how the two Sony's compare it would be very helpful. Thanks

I think the X90J is a downgrade in peak brightness at sizes larger than 49"/50" so HDR will lack punch compared to your current TV.
This will also mean it has less blooming though.

If I, were you, I'd skip the X90J and go for the OLED. X90J is not an upgrade overall compared to what you're using.

Samsung LCD TVs like the QN94A and up also suppress blooming better than Sony, although at the cost of image accuracy.

Thanks - set on the OLED - was more curious than really considering it. Could I ask your opinion on the JL Screen Burn Warranty. I'm strongly considering getting it. I watch a lot of Sky Sports with their static logo and a decent amount of news so that's why I think I should get it, although I don't do any gaming. I think for peace of mind the £140 is not too steep and I will take very good care of the TV but I assume you know a lot more about this issue than I do. Cheers again.

I don't really know anything about the warranty, I assume if it says it covers burn in, then it will warrant you a replacement if you get it.

News channels and regular usage of logos can be a problem on OLED, but it's hard to say now they are even more durable whether you'll even see burn in within the time you keep the TV. LG's even have a feature now to auto dim logos.

Cheers - For example, I watch a lot of cricket which has a static bar which keeps track of the score along the screen the majority of the time. Some have said they watch it for hours on end with nothing, others have the GMB logo stuck on their screen after a few years. John Lewis states:

WHAT’S INCLUDED?​

• Immediate accidental damage cover (including TV screen burn), no excess to pay.
I think my viewing habits make it a good idea to pay the £140 for peace of mind. Thanks for all your help once more. Really makes a difference to those who don't know what they're on about. Cheers

Have you seen OLED Burn In Risk ?

Generally, wouldn't be so worried about channel logos unless they contribute to a lot of hours of watching.

Cricket - can be dangerous in the long term, not necessarily because of the logos, but the tickers, static scoreboards and the very fact test matches can last for days.

It's a cumulative thing, if you're usage tends to be watching content with stationary elements regularly than OLED may not be for you.

I'd agree, that with your viewing habits if you go OLED the extra insurance is probably worth the peace of mind.

Have you seen OLED Burn In Risk ?

Generally, wouldn't be so worried about channel logos unless they contribute to a lot of hours of watching.

Cricket - can be dangerous in the long term, not necessarily because of the logos, but the tickers, static scoreboards and the very fact test matches can last for days.

It's a cumulative thing, if you're usage tends to be watching content with stationary elements regularly than OLED may not be for you.

I'd agree, that with your viewing habits if you go OLED the extra insurance is probably worth the peace of mind.
Yes I think so. I regularly watch Test matches for hours at a time. The same with golf although there are less static images so going to go for the extra warranty.

I had a C6. Am a huge cricket fan. Watched tests all year round. No issue.

The logo dimming will pick up the score on cricket. Even did on my C6.

The issue is scrolling news bars. Because the algorithm sees movement and doesn’t dim. But even then you have to watch for thousands of hours plus to get an issue. The only situation I’d not recommend an OLED for is when people want to watch say a 24 news channel all day every day. That would not be advisable.

But everything else they are fine for.

I had a C6. Am a huge cricket fan. Watched tests all year round. No issue.

The logo dimming will pick up the score on cricket. Even did on my C6.

The issue is scrolling news bars. Because the algorithm sees movement and doesn’t dim. But even then you have to watch for thousands of hours plus to get an issue. The only situation I’d not recommend an OLED for is when people want to watch say a 24 news channel all day every day. That would not be advisable.

But everything else they are fine for.
Thanks - I'm going to go for the C1 with the added warranty. I was tempted by the B1 as I don't do any gaming but I've been advised that the lack of HDR punch means that it is worth going for the C1 I don't watch enough news where I think that's an issue but I think it's worth it for the peace of mind. Thanks for the help.

Thanks - I'm going to go for the C1 with the added warranty. I was tempted by the B1 as I don't do any gaming but I've been advised that the lack of HDR punch means that it is worth going for the C1 I don't watch enough news where I think that's an issue but I think it's worth it for the peace of mind. Thanks for the help.
Good plan. People need to understand that as an emissive display OLED has a finite life span. For most this will be longer than they intend to keep the TV but still.

Having had OLED I just bought a new one. I cannot, cannot, go back to LCD.

Cheers - For example, I watch a lot of cricket which has a static bar which keeps track of the score along the screen the majority of the time. Some have said they watch it for hours on end with nothing, others have the GMB logo stuck on their screen after a few years. John Lewis states:

WHAT’S INCLUDED?​

• Immediate accidental damage cover (including TV screen burn), no excess to pay.
I think my viewing habits make it a good idea to pay the £140 for peace of mind. Thanks for all your help once more. Really makes a difference to those who don't know what they're on about. Cheers
I messaged D&G via Twitter asking about their burn in protection. I asked was Screen Burn 100% covered as D&G have neglect listed as an exclusion and LG state burn in only happens with neglect. Two different agents from D&G confirmed to me that Screen Burn is 100% protected with their protect+ warranty from JL.
I'd suggest doing what I did and getting it in writing from them just in case, and then they haven't got a leg to stand on if they did ever refuse a claim.

Think my biggest concern would be having to buy the TV from JL as their customer service doesn't seem to be what it used to.

Good plan. People need to understand that as an emissive display OLED has a finite life span. For most this will be longer than they intend to keep the TV but still.

Having had OLED I just bought a new one. I cannot, cannot, go back to LCD.
That seems to be the consensus of the vast majority of OLED owners I read. Thanks for all your help.

I messaged D&G via Twitter asking about their burn in protection. I asked was Screen Burn 100% covered as D&G have neglect listed as an exclusion and LG state burn in only happens with neglect. Two different agents from D&G confirmed to me that Screen Burn is 100% protected with their protect+ warranty from JL.
I'd suggest doing what I did and getting it in writing from them just in case, and then they haven't got a leg to stand on if they did ever refuse a claim.

Think my biggest concern would be having to buy the TV from JL as their customer service doesn't seem to be what it used to.
Thanks for posting. I wasn't aware that the JL customer service wasn't what it once was so this is great advice. I would be livid if something went amiss and they refused a claim when it clearly states that Screen Burn is covered. Thanks for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom