Sony tv/blu ray problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by apollogary, Nov 26, 2010.

1. apollogary

apollogary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone. My name is Gary and I have just joined this great site. I am hoping that some Knowledgable person can help me with a problem. I apologise in advance for the length of this post.
    I have owned a Sony KDL32V4000 Tv for just over a year. In all that time it has functioned flawlessly. I have connected to it a Sky plus box via scart, a Sony video via scart and a PS3 via hdmi. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Sony BDVE370 home cinema/blu ray system. I installed it and set it up and everything woked perfectly... fantastic. When I went back to it though, about an hour after it had been switched off, I found that the TV refused to switch on from standby. So I tried to switch it off with the main switch on the TV itself. This would not work either, and took continual pressing to finally shut down. I could then turn it back on and turn it on and off with the remote control. I thought this a one-off but it has happend several times since. I would say 5 times out of 10, the TV won't switch on from standby. I spoke to Sony who suggested the problem was with the blu ray player, so I contacted the supplier who agreed to replace it. Whilst waiting for the new one to arrive, I disconnected the blu ray player and in the 3 days before the new one arrived, the the TV again worked perfectly. When I installed the new one, unfortunately the exact same problem occurs. I have spoken to Sony again and this time they say the problem must be with the TV. But only the blu ray player causes this problem. I have tried swapping hdmi cables and inputs and disconnecting other equipment but am at a loss what to do next. It is driving me insane.
    Can anyone help? please. Sony say they have never heard of a problem like this
    Thanks
    Gary

2. Ben Jammin

Ben Jammin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    My Sony blu ray remote control tries to control my Sony TV. Could it be that? Is there a button on your blu ray remote for TV standby?

3. apollogary

apollogary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Yes there is a TV button on the blu ray remote. But that won't turn the TV on either when this fault occurs

4. apollogary

apollogary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one have any ideas about this?

5. twoodley

twoodley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Most, if not all, Sony TV remotes are also able to control other Sony equipment, and have a row of buttons near the top so you can select what it is you want to control.
    Press the button for TV and try again. Hopefully this will solve the problem. (You only need to do this once unless you select another button).

6. apollogary

apollogary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, but I am fully aware of which button does what. The problem is that NO button on ANY remote. ie. Sony blu ray remote, Sony TV remote, Sony video remote, Sky plus remote- all the ones that will normally control the TV and switch it on.. will not work 5 times out of 10. It seems to me that it is a soft-ware problem or hdmi glitch. I was hoping that someone who knows more about this side of things could advise me

7. twoodley

twoodley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The reason for my reply was because sometimes "problems" are made out to be greater than they really are, when it is just a simple setting which is ignored or overlooked.
    To eliminate HDMI glitch have you tried connecting it to the port currently being used by the PS3?
    Also have you tried another HDMI lead (try the one from the PS3)?
    As you have a PS3 why do you need another Blu-Ray player?

8. apollogary

apollogary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. sorry if I came across as rude, I really do appreciate any replies and help given, but this is driving me nuts. The reason for getting this was really for the 5.1 surround, and I really liked the idea of the bravia sync, etc. So far I have tried... using the ps3 hdmi cable and input, using 2 other hdmi cables (all different makes and lengths). Clearing the hdmi list from the tv and then searching again. I think I have established that it only happens when the hdmi control is "on". I could just leave it off but that completely defeats the object of having a sony blu ray player to go with my sony tv. They won't "talk" to each other. I would like to do a full factory reset of the tv, but can't find accurate instructions to do it. I have also read lots of things about firmware updates for the tv (kdl32v4000) but Sony say there is no such thing. I do have the blu ray player connected to the internet and have the latest software version installed

Gary

9. elton-77

elton-77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just read your post. Not sure if this helps [and I'm clutching at straws so to speak] but, have you tried disconnecting the ethernet connection on the blu ray player? Reason I mention this was a while ago our Sony television was acting in a similar fashion while the Sony blu ray player was updating firmware via the internet. There was a complete lack of control over the tv. Eventually, control was regained after the update by disconnection of the mains power. It may help you, and will not take too long to try. Hope it helps you. :)

10. apollogary

apollogary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for that suggestion, I will try it. Trouble is, it's so intermittant that it can take a day or so for it to happen again. There is just no pattern to it. Also in my last post I said that with hdmi control "off" it was ok. Well I was wrong. It still does it. But I only had hdmi control off in the tv menu. I have now turned it off in the blu ray menu as well, so will monitor it over the next couple of days

Gary