Question Sony TV (Android) - Kodi getting stuck outputting DD5.1?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by ReflexReact, Dec 5, 2017.

1. ReflexReact

ReflexReact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm having an issue with my set up - not sure if it's an issue with my Sony XE9005 TV, my Denon avr-x2400H amp, or Kodi running on the Sony TV itself.

Here is my plight - I hope someone can help!

• TV speakers configured to "audio system" - when navigating the Android interface I hear audio
    • Clean install of Kodi onto the TV (which is running Android 7.0)
    • When I load Kodi, amp shows "Stereo" and I hear the UI navigation sounds
    • Kodi is configured to put out 5.1 channel sound, with "audio passthrough" enabled
    • When I load a DTS/DD5.1 encoded video file, Kodi picks this up and the amp accurately updates to show DD
    • When the video is stopped and returned to Kodi UI, amp continues to show DD - instead of returning to "Stereo" - no audio can be heard as I navigate the Kodi UI
    • If I play a video encoded in "Stereo", the amp still shows DD and the audio is silent
    • If I play a video encoded in DD, the amp still shows DD but the audio works
    • If I switch the TV speaker settings to "TV" and then back to "Audio System", this seems to fix the issue - the amp display goes back to showing "Stereo" and things return to normal (until I play another DD file, which then results in the same problem again).

I cannot get my head around what the issue is; I suspect it's a Kodi or TV issue, but I can't help but wonder if the amp is getting "stuck" processing DD?

2. pxr5

pxr5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Sorry if this is wrong, but the first thing that jumped out at me was setting the Kodi output to 5.1. I do recall that this should be set at 2.0 and passthrough enabled. I know it sounds wrong, but I'm sure this is the right setting for Kodi.

3. ReflexReact

ReflexReact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Interesting - thanks for your reply. I'll try this tonight and see what happens. Certainly sounds odd, is that something to do with Sony/Android + Kodi?

4. pxr5

pxr5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
  5. ReflexReact

ReflexReact

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    So gave that a shot and didn’t work :( I now cannot get it out of stereo output, regardless of what I play! Hmmmm

6. mickeyhiggins

mickeyhiggins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5