Sony TV (40w2000) DVD recorder (HXD860) connections?

Dan-h

Novice Member
I've had my DVD recorder only connected via HDMI cable to my LCD TV.
However after reading the DVD recorder's manual it appears that many convenient functions requires a SCART cable (SmartLink) connection, but recommends that no other video (i.e. HDMI) connection is made at the same time to the TV.
But I find the pic-quality via HDMI better.

Can I improve on the SCART connection? Switch to RGB output?
What are the implications of connecting both HDMI & SCART at the same time to the TV?

Would appreciate any suggestions on the better connection options between the DVD HD Recorder and TV please.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Dan-h

Novice Member
Thx; I'll try SCART set to RGB tonight.
Even my wife noticed the difference with the "House of Flying Daggers" DVD when connected via HDMI versus SCART.
The early scenes of the "blind" heroine doing her dance routine in the very colourful hall (chapter 3, I think), were stunning via HDMI and only just good via SCART.

Wish I could leave both the SCART and HDMI connected to the TV...

Dan-h

Novice Member
RGB on the SCART is definitely better, but the "SmartLink" functionality only works with plain Video... Looks like I'll just have to forget about SmartLink's couple of operating conveniences...

Gavtech

Administrator
What a weird limitation for Sony to do???

I was wondering if stripping a scart lead of all but the data connections would be a workaround.... but maybe there is software switching that would prevent you using HDMI and Smartlink together?

azz

Novice Member
Thx; I'll try SCART set to RGB tonight.
Even my wife noticed the difference with the "House of Flying Daggers" DVD when connected via HDMI versus SCART.
The early scenes of the "blind" heroine doing her dance routine in the very colourful hall (chapter 3, I think), were stunning via HDMI and only just good via SCART.

Wish I could leave both the SCART and HDMI connected to the TV...

I have Both connected no problem but i dont see much difference re rgb hdmi-infact if the player is set to auto it outputs 1080i to tv and the pq is inferior so i stick with 576p-let us know your settings

azz

Dan-h

Novice Member
How much better was HDMI than RGB scart?
… but i dont see much difference re rgb hdmi - In fact if the player is set to auto it outputs 1080i to tv and the pq is inferior so i stick with 576p-let us know your settings
Agreed; not much difference ~ HDMI bit better on a few scenes only ~ Output set at 576p which was better then auto/1080i but again something I'd noticed only on some scenes. Perhaps ‘cause the PQ was pretty good so kept enjoying the DVD/HDD content & forgot to analyse!!

but maybe there is software switching that would prevent you using HDMI and Smartlink together?
I have Both connected no problem …
Wonder why the manual says to only have one video link connected to a TV then?
It also says Smartlink functions only work when “Video” is selected, which by implication means they don't work when RGB (or S-video) is selected instead.

Cabling details;
HDMI cable is a 1.5m cheapie (£5 from Lidl), Scart is double-shielded Thor OFC (£20 from wholesaler). Aerial cable is self-made from standard 75ohm (solid centre copper core, air-cored insulator but no extra shielding) with self-crimping metal connectors, minimum lengths.
I have been very careful about cable routing through out. Power cables, signal cables and aerial cables all kept separate, any necessary cross overs kept at 90 degrees to minimise cross-talk interference.

Dan-h

Novice Member
Does anyone else use both SCART and HDMI connections to the TV?
In fact, does anyone bother with the Smartlink functionality any more?

azz

Novice Member
Agreed; not much difference ~ HDMI bit better on a few scenes only ~ Output set at 576p which was better then auto/1080i but again something I’d noticed only on some scenes. Perhaps ‘cause the PQ was pretty good so kept enjoying the DVD/HDD content & forgot to analyse!!

Wonder why the manual says to only have one video link connected to a TV then?
It also says Smartlink functions only work when “Video” is selected, which by implication means they don’t work when RGB (or S-video) is selected instead.

Cabling details;
HDMI cable is a 1.5m cheapie (£5 from Lidl), Scart is double-shielded Thor OFC (£20 from wholesaler). Aerial cable is self-made from standard 75ohm (solid centre copper core, air-cored insulator but no extra shielding) with self-crimping metal connectors, minimum lengths.
I have been very careful about cable routing through out. Power cables, signal cables and aerial cables all kept separate, any necessary cross overs kept at 90 degrees to minimise cross-talk interference.

I have not bothered with smart link
i use the dvd recorder for free view
the sky HD normal (sd) pq is better than FV anyway
but both hdmi and scart 2 connected and pics from both is fine

azz

Dan-h

Novice Member
both hdmi and scart 2 connected and pics from both is fine
Thanks. Wonder why the manual stresses not to connect more then one video cable to the TV at any one time.

Also, apparently I should also use double shielded aerial leads? Has anyone found clear improvements from doing so? I have standard 75 ohm aerial cable - 1m to Belkin surge protector, 1.5m to HXD860 then 1.5m to TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom