Sony TV 2022 Line-Up: QD OLED, OLED, Mini LED - All you need to know - news discussion

The X95K disables BMD when VRR is enabled, this is diabolical and the picture looks awful as a result. I wonder if the Z9K will do the same? I hope not I was was looking at these models this year in 85". I just can't go to 65" from having a 75". I wonder how long until QD-OLED is available in sizes above 65"? Sooner rather than later I hope!

Thought this was due to MediaTek chip limitations and the upcoming Pentonic chip will fix this.

Thought this was due to MediaTek chip limitations and the upcoming Pentonic chip will fix this.
Do we have any idea if tv's manufactured later this year will have this chipset?

Do we have any idea if tv's manufactured later this year will have this chipset?

My guess is 2023 TVs will have this Pentonic chip.

My guess is 2023 TVs will have this Pentonic chip.
So all Sony 2022 models have the limited MediaTek chip? even the A95K?

I am unsure but I think it will be the same MediaTek chip on all 2022 Sony TVs.

Smart TVs with MediaTek Pentonic SoC and Dolby Vision IQ with precision detail will be available starting in second half 2022. So there is a slim chance.

Last edited:
All early model reviews have said 2x HDMI 2.1 of which 1 is the eARC. So that’s the old chipset. Hopefully come end of the year it’ll be the new one.

See Sony 42" and 48" OLEDs updated some info on their site here:

Sony 42" @ $1399 Pre-order July
Sony 48" @ $1499 Pre-order June

Much cheaper prices at least hopefully they are correct, I wonder if Sony are releasing it much later since they want the better WBE panels to be in them. Looks

The source of the image attached... had a hands on with 2022 Sony TVs a couple of months back. You can find the article on their website.

1652134227065.png

Sony's QD-OLED TV was standing next to it and for the most part X95K did not come close to matching any of the OLED TVs in picture quality. Its main advantage is fullscreen brightness (which most likely comes with higher energy consumption) but in all other movie and game scenes it must surrender to the OLED TVs.

and...
We only spent an hour or so with X95K but spotted blooming artefacts on several occasions. This should not come as a surprise considering that it has less than 1000 zones as we see the same thing even on LCD TVs with several thousand dimming zones. It's a physical limitations; each dimming zone covers thousands or tens of thousands of pixels.

ZD9

Sony_ZD9.jpg

X95K

Sony_X95K.jpg

Last edited:
SONY X90K UNBOXING, SET UP AND FIRST IMPRESSIONS! VALUE AND QUALITY (VALUE ELECTRONICS)

X95K price is ridiculous. Twice as expensive as X95J and half more than QN95B

"QN90B is much closer to OLED than this is" - Classy Tech

"The contrast isn't there for me and is really lacking" - Classy Tech

"I can't believe how far behind they are (Sony) in local dimming control" - FOMO

"The X95K so far is just not impressive" - Classy Tech

"it pains me greatly that Backlight Master Drive is just empty promises on the 65" - FOMO

Copied from AVSforum.

Very disappointing from Sony and with a price of S95B on top. Probably isn't even any better than X95J. But Samsung also didn't do that great the first year with their Mini LED's, they improved them a lot this year.

Last edited:
hva-csot-jpg.3282627

Source: 2022 Sony X95K MiniLED XR Backlight Master Drive (No...

Sony X95K: Unboxing and first impressions of the first mini LED TV of the Japanese brand
We can finally start to analyze new models of televisions for this 2022. And we started in large by unpacking the Sony X95K, the first mini led television of the Japanese brand. What have we thought? How were the first impressions? Before starting with these first impressions, we wanted to thank Sony Spain for the transfer of the product in order to analyze it. The X95K model finally jumps to our scale on our scale, since there have been two important and notable changes compared to the model of last year: Mini LED technology is finally used, some tiny LEDs, many Smaller than a traditional LED (so we can put much more and better control the light they emit). The story does not stop there but also that this year Sony decided to go from the 50 gradation zones of the X95J to the 384 of the X95K (the transferred unit is the 65 inch model). Almost nothing.
Translation

Sony’s UK site is showing the 42” A90K at £1799, and the 48” at £1899. That’s a bit higher than I was expecting, I was hoping to pick up a 42” for a movies / gaming setup….

Sony’s UK site is showing the 42” A90K at £1799, and the 48” at £1899. That’s a bit higher than I was expecting, I was hoping to pick up a 42” for a movies / gaming setup….

Indeed: NEWS: Sony confirms pricing for A90K and A75K Bravia XR 4K OLED TVs

I was looking to get the 42" also and skipped the LG C2 for it. That is a hefty premium, wondering now about waiting for the Panasonic....

How comes its pre-order for $1399.99 for Americans on the Sony US site

makesnosense.jpg

At 1.8K Pre order price that is still £600 roughly more expensive then the LG 42" on Lg promo prices or Tekshop @ £1185, it would have to be rather special and unique to demand that high cost.

VIncent posted his initial thoughts and testing video on A95K last night.
He will post full review once it has some hours on the panel.
Overall he noticed more color volume as per the samsung but peak brightness was around 950nits so not above 1000 like the boosted Samsung.

X95K - The Mini-Led version had a disappointing review recently. He said it's not close to Samsung's Mini-Led equivalent; QN90B.

X95K - The Mini-Led version had a disappointing review recently. He said it's not close to Samsung's Mini-Led equivalent; QN90B.

That price for the 75X95K equates to just North of £3000 and he thinks that's expensive ..those prices are wasted on Yanks..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom