1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony TRV725E - Useful to have at low cost?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by russ hirst, Sep 17, 2005.

1. russ hirst

russ hirst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I have the opportunity to obtain a Sony TRV725E Digital camcorder at around £240.

I have a Mini DV Cam at the moment but wonder if this model, which has an RRP of around £800 I think, is worth having as a second camera?

Look forward to your comments, particularly interested in any manual capabilities of the camera.

Cheers

Russ Hirst

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These were good cams in their day, although the price was high a photo printer was built in (just try getting the cartridge & paper these days, also it was a bit of a brick because of this)

It's digital8 format, using the same ccds as Sonys miniDV cams of the era, so the picture quality should be exactly the same.

Nice MF ring and a few controls (exposure, mic input, lanc, dv in out etc) but NO WHITE BALLANCE CONTROL (worth mentioning if you plan to match to cameras in an edit situation, colour correction may be required)

Over priced at £200, even a brand new boxed unit isn;t worth more than £150, the model is around four years old, so if its used I might even walk away (unless some sort of binding guarantee is offered)

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mistook, no printer, everything else applies

4. russ hirst

russ hirst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Roy,

Is the fact that it has no WB control unique to this Sony or is it a problem with most? I have an old analogue Sony which I still use and has given me good service and I notice that has no manual WB either.

Cheers

Russ

5. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    auto WB only is a quirk of the D8 models, DV models have indoor & outdoor presets and a 'hold' option (manual)