Sony TRV60 - opinions please?

witters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After debating which cam to buy I think I have settled on the TRV60. Looks like an excellent choice but I am keen to hear opinions from owners.

Anyone have expereince of it please?

I picked a TRV60 up as well. Although I still haven't used it to its full capacity, I'm quite impressed so far. Even viewing the recorded film via A/V cables (as opposed to S-Video) on a TV provides a very nice picture.

Zoom is really nice. It's very sensitive, so you can zoom in quickly or very slowly, but it might take some getting used to if you've got twitchy fingers. It's a single analog switch, so there's no fumbling for the right button.

Nightshot is very cool. Can't wait to get back to Canada in the wilderness and try this out properly. (we get bats out by our cottage)

Tapes are loaded from below, which can be a pain if you're using a tripod a lot.

The menu system had me worried at first, because I'm not keen on touch screens, but it's laid out rather well. Plus, you've got the manual focus ring on the front of the camera, so casual users won't need to bring up the menu all that often when they're filming.

The overall look of the camera is great. I prefer the larger cams, as they seem more comfortable to hold and reduce camera shake. All the input/outputs are carefully hidden by removable covers. Even the lens cap and attached cord is simple and painless.

Although I'll get more into the actual video quality when I start uploading and editing videos from the cam, I'm very happy so far. :smashin:

Originally posted by witters
After debating which cam to buy I think I have settled on the TRV60. Looks like an excellent choice but I am keen to hear opinions from owners.

Anyone have expereince of it please?

Yes I have just bought one after reading all the write ups.
I find the video resolution is no better than my very old JVC DV1,
Which also has a 1/3" CCD.
The still shots are dissapointing also. I use a Sony S85, and compared the stills using the same resoltion at 1600 x 1200.
The results were similar in most respects except for bad grain on the TRV60. This may be due to some interpolation, in the camera, but whatever, it's not good news if you are hoping to replace two cameras with one, as I was.

where can one of these baby's be bought?

I bought mine at Amazon, but they don't appear to stock it anymore.

Pixmania's got one of the best prices, but I've never used them before.

Pixmania link

Try Jessops. They may be able to get one in from National stock. They did a good price match on mine.

Cheers, pixamania has them on stock, been offered the 80 model for £30 pound's more from a diffrent supplier, i take it i should go for the 80 if it,s only an extra £30, or should i expect to get the 60 a lot cheaper.:confused:

Originally posted by sea surfer
Cheers, pixamania has them on stock, been offered the 80 model for £30 pound's more from a diffrent supplier, i take it i should go for the 80 if it,s only an extra £30, or should i expect to get the 60 a lot cheaper.:confused:

I paid £599 post free from Krish Audio Visual. www.krishav.co.uk.
Came next day!

The only difference in the 60 and 80 is that the 80 has a larger LCD screen and Bluetooth capabilities. But for an extra £30, I would have probably gone for it. I haven't used the 80, so I'm not sure if the larger screen makes it less comfortable to hold.

Thank's for the link's guy's, look's like krishav audio is going to get the order great price's, going to save a lot of money going with them.:smashin:

Originally posted by sea surfer
Thank's for the link's guy's, look's like krishav audio is going to get the order great price's, going to save a lot of money going with them.:smashin:

If Krish are out of stock, they had the 80 at about £30 more.
If no luck, go to pricrunner.co.uk. Check all low prices with the shop, by phone, they may even have it at a lower price.
Then check their Retailer reviews before you buy.
Best of luck!:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom