Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony TRV17 and Firewire problem

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Gasue, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Gasue

Gasue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony TRV17E, Windows Xp, Videowave III and an OEM Firewire Card. When trying to record from the camera to the PC it starts capturing and then will often bomb out with error messages than mean nothing (i.e. no hard drive space when I have tons!).

I heard a while ago that the standard Microsoft Firewire drivers werne't the best to use - is this true and where do I get others?

Cheers

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    DV capture can cause lots of probems on a standard home PC.
    You say that you have loads of disk space, but DV footage takes 1GB of space for approx. 4 minutes.
    Other programmes such as antivirus can cause capture to fail. Stop all of these background progs before starting. A good prog to do this for you is called EndItAll (do a search on the internet) and it is a free download.
    Make sure your hard disk is defragmented before capture as this can also cause problems. Also make sure that DMA is enable for the disk (see FAQ for details at top of this section of the forum).

Now the most likely cause.....
    Depending on the setup of Windows XP the maximum size for any file is 2Gb (8 minutes). To get over this you need to make sure the disk is formatted as NTFS and NOT FAT32. Check the settings of the capture software, they don't all have the ability to capture to larger file sizes and this might be the problem. Read the Help file.

You mention the firewire drivers. Go to the web site for the maker of the card and check for any updated/different drivers. Make sure they are for Win XP as XP is still fairly new and not all cards drivers work with XP.

Good luck.
    Mark.