1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony trv14

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by lion789lion, Jan 17, 2004.

1. lion789lion

lion789lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am very intrested in this model. my only concern is alot of my filming will be inside. Can anyone tell me how this camcorder is under these conditions. Is the quaility poor, dark and blottchy like the panasonic nv65 which i tried last week.

Thanks

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I got mine yesterday - and the indoor footage is surprisingly good - well above what i was expecting. It also has a hotshoe to enable you to add additional light if needed.

Well impressed with the camera and all its features - a marvel at the price.

3. lion789lion

lion789lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where did you get it from?

4. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Lets go Digital - 319 inc next day P&P

5. lion789lion

lion789lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you find the touch screen and zoom, some reviews say the zoom is uncontrollable??

6. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I am going to be ordering a TRV14 tommorow hopefully.

From the experence in the Sony shop I can say that the touch screen is really easy. A small little tap is all thats needed. The zoom was ok as well. The main point they say is that the button is too small and that it takes time to get a variable zoom, as the smallest of touches is all that is needed. It has a look of speed difference so you can get nice levels of zoom speed, but you need to be ever so gentle.

Best thing is to go to Jessops or a shop and be interesed in the camcorder and ask to hold it etc. I was given about 10-15 minutes looking at the camera, with the shop assistant explaining things etc. I made my mind up about the camera from that test. Jessops and maybe other stores sometimes do price match. Take out print outs and information about online stores that sell at the lower price and the shop alot of the time will give you the same price. I went to the Sony centre and didnt bother asking about pricematch as I was sure they would say no, but they might not have and I could get it from the shop for internet prices.

About the filming inside I would say the TRV14 is one of the best. Looking at a comparison between the TRV19 and 3 other cameras it cam out best(TRV19 is the same as TRV14 but with DV-IN)

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/bhshootoff_500_group.htm

Remember that this is a US review and so the Canon is the MV650 over here rather than the ZR65MC.

7. lion789lion

lion789lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I'll try and get mine tomorrow from jessops if they will price match cheers

8. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I found the touchscreen very intuiative and far better than having numerous buttons littered around the camcorder.

As for the zoom - it takes a of bit getting used too - initially you zoom out too quickly - but once you get the hang of it, it's fine.

my advice would be to go for it!

9. bash_h

bash_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a TRV14 over the weekend from amazon, its not the cheapest but only about a tenner more than the cheapest I found. I really like the feel of it its quite compact and I havent bought up any mini-DVs yet so I havent really tested it much. I am reading the posts about the batteries with at the moment as I need an extended battery as well so mossman, if you get a reply from Global Batteries to say whether than NP-QM70/71 they have is original sony branded or not I'd love to know. the cheapest original sony one I have found is off amazon (click on "new & used") for £49.98 (should be free del), if you compare that to the Global price of £36.29 its not a huge diff, I'd probably stick to Sony original.

10. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    No there not Sony batteries. The email was a bit misleading as they said "they are compatiable and will work" and tried to make you think that these are Sony batteries. Also there not the QM71D which doesnt make a difference too much, but things like battery display time may not work.

Looking at other forums, people who have had cheap generic batteries have said that they are degrading after a few months. So instead of producing 3 hours of recording time, there getting less and less each time, as the battery can not hold as much charge. Dont know whether they would do this from Global-Batteries but to me I would rather fork out the extra money for a Sony battery as you know your going to get good quality.

I just bought the QM71D from Amazon, £60.49 is not to bad considering high street prices and other internet shops. Its official Sony so should be good.

I also bought an official Sony case

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000095K0H/202-4365180-5899863

Looks good and was'nt any more than other cases. Liked the look of this one and should be a decent quality compared to lower priced cases. After all you paid a few hundred for a decent camcorder so you need something to keep it safe in.

Got a 15 pack of Sony Premium miniDV tapes from www.mediaforge.co.uk for £43.95. Was a good deal as they were cheaper than buying them singly, and with a trip to New York soon, I need to make sure I have enough tapes.

Ordered the TRV14 from Lets Go Digital. Could'nt submit credit card details online as Java would'nt work, even though its enabled, and works on other sites. So had to print out the order form and either send it in the post or phone them up tommorow morning and check that the order is on the system and give them the credit card details.

Just over £460 for camcorder, 15 Sony Premium tapes, Sony QM71D battery, Sony carry case and a Belkin Firewire cable. Nice that my dad is going halves with me :D.

11. bash_h

bash_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    amazon it is then!! cheers

12. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Got mine today from Lets Go Digital, recommend them as they delivered it with in a day. Ordered Sunday but due to Java not working on the site(is enabled works on other sites) I had to ring them Monday morning and give them the credit card details. A friendly person on the phone)which is always nice) said it was going to be with me Tuesday which it was.

So far I very happy with the TRV14. Did,nt get in till gone 6pm tonight, so only had chance to charge the battery and then hook it up and use it from the powersupply rather than use the battery. Touch screen is really easy to use. Noticed alot of finger prints on the screen but this is only when its turned off. If the screen is on then the finger prints seem to be invisiable. Low light seemed really good judging by the TV input. Basically a room lighted by a few 50/60 watt bulbs and the picture looked amazing. Nightshot while gimmicky seems really cool. Looked out the window and could see across the road with nightshot on.

The auto feature on the camera seems great. Just point and shot and it will automatically adjust the focus just like a digital camera does when you press the button halfway. Spot focus looks cool as if a image is focused on something else, just touch the screen at the item you want to focus on and it will focus.

Overall I am happy with my choice and would recommend it to anyone who wants a cheap miniDV camera. People have pointed out a lack of manual control compared to other cameras, but to me I dont mind. I want to be able to point, shoot and enjoy the experience, rather than worry about the right exposure, focus setting etc.

13. kennycapes

kennycapes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am going to buy one. I have a couple of questions.

Has anybody copied their video from this camcorder to DVD. I have a PC with Firewire but i don't have a DVD recorder yet. What sort of DVD recorder do i need. Is it DVD-+ RW or DVD ROM. All i want to do is put Video of my imminent baby onto DVD.

Cheers

14. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Well a DVD-ROM is not a DVD writer. Do you mean DVD-RAM? If so then I wouldnt recommend these as they are not widespread. Most DVD burners do - and + so theres no need to worry. With burning DVDs both - and + work. The only real difference with - and + is that + has more error correcting or something. Basically - and + are the same and either one can be used. The thing you need to work out is whether your DVD player at home can play - or +. - has better compatability than + so - may work on your DVD player while + doesnt.

As i've said most DVD burners do both - and + so you only need to worry about which media to buy, and whether the DVD player will play it. On my DVD player I can use - or +, but I tend to use - due to my DVD burner doing 4x - and 2x +.

15. kennycapes

kennycapes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great,

I'll buy a DVD-+ and try both media.

Now all i have to do is buy the trv14 and an external firewire DVD+- writer.

PS and yes i did mean RAM.

Cheers. I hope the trv14 is a good'en

16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Rather than buy an external DVD+/- writer (£200+) I would suggest you get an internal Pioneer 106 (£70ish) and an external firewire case (£40ish) to put the DVD in. This will save you around £100 :eek:
    The Pioneer 106 gets top marks in all the reviews I've read and has never given me any problems. The 107 is either out now or very soon and writes at 8x instead of 4x on +/-R disks but will certainly cost a lot more than the very good VFM 106's £70 or less.

Mark.

17. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Sony, Pioneer and Liteon are the 3 brands I would chose from. 8x media isnt widespread at the moment, but getting a 8x writer would be good especially as a whole DVD should be written in about 8 minutes.

If you can afford to wait a few months then wait, as there are rumours around that there bringing out Dual Layer writers by about Spring time. At the moment you can only write 4.7Gb onto a disc, but Dual Layer does double that.

DVD writers are pretty cheap anyway so really theres no need to wait until Dual Layer comes out.

18. lion789lion

lion789lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mossmanfly you have been great with reviewing and answering any concerns i might have had with the trv14.

I am definatley getting it.

19. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    No probs. The TRV14 is excellent. The zoom is brilliant and gives you quite a few variable speeds. Some reviews have said the zoom is too responsive and you get through the 10x optical quick. I find that I am always going to slow.

Low light so far seems excellent. Looked out the window into the street and could zoom in 10x and pick out the garden in a house a good 15 - 20 metres away. Nightshot is really good, was in a pitch dark room and could not see a thing, while the camera picked up everything. Ok its all greenish tint but it gives a nice quality. What you could do is apply a black and white effect on it and remove the greeness of the picture.

One thing is to decide whether you want to get the TRV19 instead which will allow you to put footage from the PC to the camera. The TRV14 will allow you to put the footage onto the PC to edit and burn to DVD, but wont allow you to put it back to the tape. Personnally I didnt really need the feature, and while some say you will want the feature in the future, I wasnt going to spend £60-70 for something I wouldnt use.

I wanted to be able to point, shoot, edit a little, burn to DVD. I didnt need to put the edited footage back to the camcorder to store on miniDV. If you want this then you need to get the TRV19, same as the TRV14 in everyway apart from this feature.

20. aneeqa

aneeqa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    im interested in buying the trv14 but can i burn onto cd rather than dvd as my pc hasnt got a dvd burner yet. im not bothered about spreading it over a few discs. can i use the vcd route or is that not worth it.

21. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    You can use VCD if you want, although the quality will not be as good as DVD. I would create the footage as a SVCD as you could get 60 mins of SVCD footage onto 1 CD and it will look ok. If you want to keep a high quality then you would need to get a DVD burner, there cheap now £60 or less for some. Media is also cheap with some internet shops doing 25 packs for £12.

So VCD/SVCD would do ok and look pretty good, but a DVD burner would be useful.

22. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Before burning a load of SVCD's make sure that your DVD player will play them as many will not. Most will play VCD's ok.

Copying your footage back to a DV tape is not the only reason for getting the DV-in cam. With this you can also use the cam as a DV to analogue converter to enable you to copy to VHS etc if your PC (like most) does not have analogue video out.

Mark.

23. lion789lion

lion789lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my TRV 14 today from Jessops they price matched with the online price. The camcorder is brill i'm so impressed, as i used the panasonic one before and they is no comparsion with the picture quality.

I didn't buy the sony starter kit from them as it is £20 cheaper on amozon (about £50) it comes with a sony bag, a battery and a tape. is it worth it?

And.... is an extended warranty worth it 3 years for £85 includes accidental damage. how reliable are this digital camcorders.

24. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Yes if you want the stuff, no if you dont. The battery is the FM50 which is 1.7x more than the FM30 the one with the camera. Its wise to have a longer battery but really depends on whether you think the FM50 is enough. The next battery up is £60 from Amazon but gives 3.9x more length than the FM30. The case you get is also pretty good, as well as the tape. For the £51.70 off Amazon then its good value as the FM50 battery is more at £54.99.

I got a QM71D, carry case and 15 Sony Premium tapes for just under £135. The carry case is http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000095K0H/ref=br_lf_ce_2/026-8634188-2397232

and is worth the money. Really tough case with 2 side pockets, front pocket, pouch inside the lid, as well as a false bottom. The false bottom means that you can put leads etc under there and they wont get in the way. The camera takes about 1/3 of the bag width, but it means you can pack away all the leads, tapes. I have 15 tapes, the leads for the power and TV, the two batteries, the camcorder as well as my Sony DSC-P72 digital camera. Nice strong feel to it, and easy to carry all the equipment around.

I was going to get a cheaper case, http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008IM7N/ref=br_lf_ce_1/026-8634188-2397232

which is similar to the one in the pack, but it doesnt look as good, or seem to provide a good enough selection of storage spaces. You've spent £300+ on a camcorder why not spend another £16 and get a better case.