Sony TRV 240 over exposure

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by John Macc, Aug 26, 2002.

1. John Macc

John Macc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Sony TRV 240 digital 8 camcorder. Within a few days I noticed that on auto exposure mode images were not right - even in what I would consider to be normal lighting conditions the camera was causing white patches to appear on recorded video as a result of over exposure. The problem becomes even worse in bright conditions where the whole video has the appearance of an over exposed movie. The problem can be corrected by use on a shot by shot basis of manual exposure. But this means that any use without this "shot by shot" correction gives useless results. I have recently switched from a Sony Hi8 camera which I have used extensively for some years without any such problem - in fact when I first noticed the problem I recorded similar shots using my old Hi8 camera and the new TRV 240. the HI8 was OK but the digital 8 was not. The dealer changed the fist camera I purchased for the same model, but I am experiencing exactly the same problem and I am thoroughly demotivated! Any suggestions? Filters any good? Is it just me- or a (second) dud camcorder. or is this a wider problem?

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Explain to dealer you are still experiencing this.
    Try another DCR-TRV240 in store and compare with similar cameras from other makers, at the same price point.
    Have you tried the 6 other AE modes ?
    You probably need to pay a little more to attain the performance you require.

3. Drafter

Drafter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John

If you are sure that this is what you want or all you can afford try a filter.
    Check your manual and it will give a filter diameter, mine says
    "FILTER: ö 52mm" see this link.

http://www03.bhphotovideo.com

Click > Consumer Video
    In the Column General Video Accessories Click > Filters & Accessories >then click> Round Threaded, Bayonet & Series Filters>
    In The Column Standard Filters Click > UV, Haze & Protection
    Pick your size ie. 52mm > SUBMIT
    click on several and see examples.
    A good variable choice is instead of UV, Haze try
    Polerizer> Pick your size ie. 52mm > Pick Circular >SUBMIT
    Good Luck
    Drafter

4. Drafter

Drafter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

One more thought. Does the camcorder come with protective film over the light sensor? Like heavy plastic wrap. That would make the cam think it was darker than it is.
    Drafter