1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony trv-19 or Panasonic nv-ds65

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by devastator, Sep 8, 2003.

1. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Need help.. looking for a 1st Camcorder to take clips of my son (4 months at moment) as he grows. Not too fussed about taking stills as I will be getting a digi camera for that.

Not too interested in DV-in (nice to have though), need usb for web cam function and want it to be able to take good clips in indoor low light conditions. Narrowed it down to these 2 models both about £410-450 at the moment.

Any help..comments appreciated. Thanks.

2. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see you have done your homework. Both are good choices. For me I think the Panasonic just edges it, although to be honest you could go with either and be happy with your choice.

To my knowledge the TRV19 is just a TRV14 with DV-in, similarly I think the NVDS65 is an NVDS60 without the DV-IN disabled (which, incidentally, can be re-enabled through a widget from Keene's). I can't comment on their respective LUX ratings or quality, perhaps the specifications can help you there. Don't expect great quality in low light conditions from any non-pro camcorder (imho).

Both camcorders are well respected but I don't care much for these touch screen interfaces (on the Sony). If you don't remember to turn the beeps off and make changes during filming you run the risk of beeps being all over your recording. Also I think I have potato fingers and prefer the button approach.

To be honest I would just go for which ever one of those you can get the cheapest and supplied most quickly.

Have fun! :)

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The touch screen shuts up when recording - can also be turned off

4. devastator

devastator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks for the reply... Does any one have experience of any of these 2 camcorders... looking for positive and negative comments for each...

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No experience with the 19 but my 33 is very good

6. Joze

Joze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony TRV-19 has published zoom range 3,3-33 mm that has foto equivalent 42-420 mm. I checked many models for the greatest possible shooting angle. Among the published ones (not many, I checked extensively over the net), Sony series TRV14 TRV19 TRV22 (42 mm) beats the others: Canon MV600, MV600i (54mm), Samsung D20 D24 (51mm). I expect that Panasonic has higher minimal zoom value (lower possible angle) - otherwise they'd publish it.

Has anybody hard data? Can somebody take its ds65 and measure its maximal shooting angle (in degrees)?