1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony, Tosh, Pan 36"

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Pete, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Pete

Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've cut my choices down to the FS76, P38 and PD30, but having difficulty with final choice.
    I would lean towards the Sony apart from the lack of component input and prog. scan. I demo'd the Sony today and was very impressed with the picture quality but .........
    I do have a prog scan dvd player, so would the picture on the Tosh or Panasonic with prog scan be that much better than the sony, or not? Also my wife likes the way Sony handles 4/3 broadcasts via the "smart" option, do the Tosh and Panasonic have a similar feature, or do they just have auto.
    I can't demo the Tosh or Panny for a couple of weeks (my holidays) so any advice would be appreciated.

ps I've spent all afternoon reading the forums, in the hope of finding the answers, so apologies if the question seem similar to a few others! I know they do, but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for!
    TIA

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i would say panasonic pd30 best picture so far on a tv second toshiba third sony.i like sony for picture and geomotry but cant stand seeing the scan lines and 50hz i notice the flicker you may not.toshiba very good but has the odd problem here and there and panasonic best yet has some problem with pal proggresive if you read some posts.but people are trying to sort this out.im going to get this or hitachi 400e plasma.pd30 £1585 plasma £2500 just cant decide

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony has DRC-100 or something doesn't it? So it does have a 100hz function?

4. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    if you have the 100hz on you see scanlines if you have 50hz the screen flikers.the pd30 panasonic has a mode with no scanlines and no fliker and the quility has to be seen to be believed.try and view one if you can

5. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had 4 FS76 so far (first three faulty) BUT I have never been able to see scanlines. Different sets of eyes obviously see different things.

For me the FS76 is the best set. I say this because I have a friend with a tosh and a friend with the Panny. All of us agree the Sony is overall the best set for picture quality and functions.

Ultimately you have to go with you gut feeling and from what you have written sounds like the Sony is for you.

Regards

Tom

6. Pete

Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Decision making ability - Nil.:confused:
    The same day JL, Edinburgh agree to pricematch techtronics, I read the reviews in What Hifi for the Pan and Tosh, and feel as though I'm back to square one!
    I agree with what you say Tommo, I've now checked all these sets, admittedly, probably not set up properly, but when are they? and IMO the PQ on the Sony is better. I should still go with my gut feeling, but like I say indecision is my worst fault:suicide:
    Think I'll sleep on it.