Sony to halt PDP-TV production

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by KjK, Aug 4, 2006.

1. KjK

KjK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Katsumi Ihara, executive deputy president of Sony's procurement strategies and TV & video business, recently stated that the company will stop producing PDP (plasma display panel) TVs, but Sony expects to increase the shipment ratio of its 40" and above LCD TVs to more than 50% by the end of 2006, according to a report from the Chinese-language website Sina.com. Ihara talked about Sony's TV strategy in Beijing on August 2, the report noted.

Full post on http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060803A6030.html

2. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Erm.....as far as I know Sony never produced Plasma Panels :lesson: They used to buy from FHP and then from Samsung :eek: They only added their electronics just as Philips do now ;) (Philips buys plasma glass from FHP and LG) :D As regards LCDs they are joint partners with Samsung in the S-LCD factory/manufacturing company :)

Am I correct guyz ?? :hiya:

3. thewul

thewul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes

4. KjK

KjK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Your prob right, but doesn't it indicate that Sony are stopping the production of there plasma TV's, regardless of who makes the screen.

In other words, no more Sony brand Plasma TV's, thats the way I read it.

5. thewul

thewul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    sony have not retailed a domestic plasma for over 2 years afaik, may be longer.

they still sell commercial panels but they are not made by sony

6. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    The once great Sony that I admired - owned several of their Trinitron TVs and lots of Hi-Fi - are no more.

Through many disasterous mistakes they can only pin their hopes on the video console marketplace. The only other area they have success with is Broadcast Video and the new domestic HD Camcorder range.

In all other areas like TV and audio they no longer innovate and haven't for many years.

I have to laugh at the preposterous and pompous marketing of their so called Sony Centres! When was the last time anyone visited one of those?

Large parts of Sony are in deep :censored: and they know it!

How the once mighty fall - it's a real eye opener!

Gussie :)

7. gwaedin

gwaedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought they were still doing good with their RPTVs.
    Regarding Plasma... when I was looking for a TV I stumbled upon a Sony Plasma which had horrible picture quality and was terribly overpriced. Nobody will miss their PDPs.

8. g852

g852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Apart from the name, I don't think the Sony Centres have any affiliation with corporate Sony....

9. thewul

thewul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    no they dont, they are just a franchise

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Yep, and some are horrendous others OK they still make a few decent bits but several failings in technology gambles (they do ove to go against thegrain dont they)
    Beta Max (technically awsome but FAILED)
    Mini disc (never really caught on)
    ATRAC3 (Good ut a real pain and sonic stage is/was useless even dangerous)
    Now BLu-Ray ???
    their investment in LCD hasnt paid off yet and PS3 is on dodgy ground already.

11. thewul

thewul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i agree, not to mention that most of the stuff in the sony centres now are re-badged something else
    eg

lcds= lg or samsung panels
    dvdr= lg mech
    vhs= samsung mech
    all in one home cinema= lg mech and pcb

sony used to produce and build some of the best equipment on the market, its all a bit sad really:(

12. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Sony went down hill when they started buying up Film and Music companies.

Sony did well when they were making walkmans when everyone was copying music to play on them. Now they own a lot of media, they want to control how people use media - hence ATRAC3 which nobody wants and now the delays the PS3 due to copy protection issues with Blu-Ray.

Someone in Sony needs to wake up to the fact that the revenue they lose when they try to control media usage is vastly more than they are gaining from these controls through sales of CDs and DVDs.

Sony do make some good stuff - like Walkman mobile phones (which play MP3 and AAC files). Their LCD TVs are quite good, but are very expensive and with poorer image quality compared with the leading plasma screens. The demo for the latest X series LCD screen seems to be a series of largely static images - I wonder why?

13. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,484
    last time i checked, anything sony made was premium priced(and thats an understatement) but mid range quality often beaten by other manufacturers i.e toshiba, phillips and panasonic.

tbh after toshibas recent let down i dont know who to turn to for a quality display :( infact the only electronics i trust less than sony has to be pioneers tacky overpriced :censored:

*ducks* but seriously its how i feel

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Fujitsu BABY :clap: :clap: :clap:

15. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Personally, I've always felt that Sony products such as TVs were excellent, and lasted longer than anybody elese's. They've never really fully got behind plasma techonology, but perhaps others already had the lead. You don't hear a lot of bad stories about Sony products, and that's perhaps what we should all respect about them.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

16. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'd also like to say that over the years I've bought loads of Sony stuff and, with the exception of a pair of headphones which were ridiculously bassy, I've always found them to be great and last forever. I had one stereo bought as a pressie when I was 18 (I'm 43) and when replacitis hit me 13 years ago I gave it to my mother and it's still going strong. My 25" trinitron I bought 17 years ago is now in the possession of my daughter and is also fine. I replaced that with a 32" w/s DS60 model (approx 7 years ago) which is indistructible and only replaced that with a pio plasma because the Sony LCDs were twice the price with no HDMI.

Biggest problem I've had with Sony stuff is that they hardly ever break and so it makes it hard to justify getting new toys. Have to say that I've never had the same reliability with any other brand (perhaps I've been lucky). I've had a number of videos (1 philips, 4 pannys, 2 jvcs) have all failed in the same time that my mum's Sony has kept on going (I fell for the reviews telling me they were "better" machines - shame none of them reviewed for how long they'd last). I've had 2 lg dvd players, 1 samsung and my old sony 525. Only the Sony has played everything and not let me down. The latest LG has (imo) a better picture quality but doesn't like playing certain discs when in multi region mode. I gave up with other brands for portable 14" tellys as I kept on having to return them for a variety of failures.

Even my Pio 435 has developed in intermittent fault whereby certain areas of the screen only display a limited amount of colours. It's only 20 months old. Perhaps I'm just jinxed with other brands.

17. mhjo

mhjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am crying for Sony too...; It's like visiting city of Dresden; you see remnants of the glorious past, but the new builings sucks...

I have a (my second) Sony Dvd-player, (Dvp-730), a receiver (str-da50ES), TV (FX-20), + sony Betamax and VHS.

----------- and now I have ordered a Panasonic plasma....!!

I thought I'd never own a Panasonic.. I always noticed the better crisp in the Trinitrons...But Sony has nothing to offer me except blurry LCD's. Back in the old CRT days TV demo's where always waterskiing and action sports. Now they show dead animals and old buildings....

I also agree on the Sony centers. We have one in main street... I fled the shop when i noticed there where no price tags and a series of creditcard stickers on the entrance door...

18. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Indeed ...

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33682

Dell are recalling over 4 million laptop batteries made by Sony.. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission says recall is the largest computer-related incident in the agency's history.

Dell chose Sony to deliver a huge batch of batteries because it deemed it trustworthy ??

The cost of this recall goes well into hundreds of millions of dollars. Whether Dell will be able to hit Sony with a claim is unclear.

19. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Before we get too critical of Sony products you should also consider this from the BBC News website:

"The CPSC has identified 339 incidents in which lithium batteries used in laptops and cell phones - not just Dell products - overheated between 2003 and 2005. "

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

20. robin78

robin78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Dell is not the only one using Sony batteries, so how many of those incidents did NOT had Sony batteries?

21. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    This is what Sony are now saying about Plasma ...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...le&cid=1156024212895&call_pageid=968350072197

A few choice remarks ...

plasma a "high maintenance" product

serious problems as relates to burn-in

very susceptible to temperature fluctuation in a room;

got to have it in a location with a consistent temperature range.

don't like direct sunlight — it distorts your ability to see the screen-face clearly.

don't like to be moved from room to room, because of the sensitivity of the gases inside the screen

Another factor in Sony's abandonment of plasma was its shorter lifespan. "Plasma has about a 40,000 hour life. LCD has about a 60,000 hour life."

LCD manufacturers are rapidly correcting the product's deficiencies in the large, flat-panel format.

"LCD technology has advanced significantly in the last 18 months. There were issues with ghosting. LCD couldn't handle fast movement — in a hockey game you'd lose the puck. That's no longer the case."

plasma's dominance of the flat-panel large-sized TV market is almost over

What do you think?

22. Aitch_Kay

Aitch_Kay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Great ..... After a month I finally decide to go for a Panny Plasma ..... and then I read this !! :D

23. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Nahh I just got a sony PDP and it really is awesome. Im used to a panny PD50 and this sony is so so much better. Hell it even smokes my friends PWD8 with ease.....pop LOTR extended edition and everything is ALIVE. The detail...colors and contrast are seriously amazing. A very good PDP indeed.