1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Tinitron Old Beast - Colour Problems!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by atrade, Apr 15, 2005.

1. atrade

atrade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant remember the chassis number of hand but i'll add it tonight, its an old trinitron 21".

After about ten minuites of being on it just loses all the colour although the OSD stays in colour leading me to think it is something on the tuner?

Also it is going purple around the top corner, anyone any hints for fixing either problem?

I know its old but I just cant bring myself to throw it away!

2. Alpha Whisky

Alpha Whisky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The loss of colour could be a few things. Do you know the model number?

As for the purple patch, my dad's 25" Trinitron develped a purple patch after a couple of years use.

I spent days trying to degauss the set with a big electromagnet. It turned out that some part of the set had a small residual magnetic field when manufactured, years of being degaussed had removed this field so the small correcting magnet Sony had stuck on the back of the tube was causing colouration in one corner.

Usual warning about high voltages. Unplugging from the mains etc.

If you whip the back off you might find there's a small magnet about 1/2" diameter stuck to the tube, probably lined up with the purple corner (it'll look like a matt black indigestion tablet).

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    almost deff. dry joints ;) the discolouration can occur if the set is left in standby,common on older Sony's. DO NOT REMOVE ANY PURITY CORRECTION MAGNETS JUST YET!!! Depends if you know what to look for on PCB's but a whip round with the soldering iron should sort it ;)

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Those old Sony's produced a picture that was way ahead of anything else at that time and seem to last forever as well! :clap:

Inevitably, after thousands of on/off cycles, the dry joints mentioned by DRGL make an appearance.

So, the good news is that it's well worth fixing, and there shouldn't be the problem of obtaining obselete spares.

However, unless you really know what you're doing, it's not a good idea to remove the back of this (or any) TV.

Even dis-connected from the mains, there are thousands of volts just waiting for the unwary! :eek:

5. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    There's a tuning capacitor to set the 4.43Mhz oscillator frequency in lots of old Sony's which are to blame for loss of colour.

This is adjustable and will bring colour back into your life! :D

Give me the model number and I'll tell you where it is. Nice, simple job that's an easy DIY if you're careful. Especially if you know a smartarse to point you in the right direction. :D

A. Dork (smartarse) :rotfl:

6. atrade

atrade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers eveyone for the replys! Im not a total noob and now my way round a CRT fairly well so dont be worrying about me blowing myself up!

The model number is KV-M2141U

Cheers!

7. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Time to put your Marigolds on :D

CT301. Ideally set with a frequency counter but a SLIGHT 'twiddle' will give you the colour back......for a while. :) They tend to drift with age so you may need to adjust it occasionally. If you're not 'a total noob' :confused: with a soldering iron you could replace it and cure it for good.

Good luck

A. Dork