sony ta-2650 - only one speaker works. What can it be?

CristianC

Novice Member
Hi all,

I just bought a nice looking amplifier (sony ta-2650) second hand but unfortunately when i connect the speakers, only one works. I tried with different speakers but same problem.

If i put on A, and connect two speakers to Left and Right on the A channel, only one works. If i connect them to the B channel, they don't work at all and also A+B do not work.

What could be the problem and how much it would be to fix this?

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Have you tried swapping your left and right RCA interconnect cables around and also tried a different input on the amp? Just to rule things out.

CristianC

Novice Member
Actually both A and B work but only the left side, right side doesn't work in both of them.

I tried different input (e.g. AUX and Phono) but same problem.

Headphones instead work fine.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
If headphones work fine, then it indicates the internal amp circuit is ok, as the headphones are tapped of the amplifier line to the speaker terminals. As such, I would guess a bad connection on the AB selector switch input.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
See here for simplified block diagram
Screenshot_20220408-171821.jpg

CristianC

Novice Member
Thank you very much.

I have no knowledge to open the amp myself and try to fix those connections and repairing will cost me way more than what I can afford, so I guess i will just try to sell it back as defective.

But thank you for your help.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
Thank you very much.

I have no knowledge to open the amp myself and try to fix those connections and repairing will cost me way more than what I can afford, so I guess i will just try to sell it back as defective.

But thank you for your help.
If you search for sony ta-2650 service manual you will find a pdf which shows how to open the case and all schematics. If its just a loose connection it would be a 2 min job for someone with a soldering iron, if its not that then it could be the rotary switch, this would be problematic as you would need to find a suitable replacement. Although, if you didnt need to switch between speakers you could get a simpler switch.

But as you said, if you don't have the capability to diy or the funds for someone else to do it, then its probably best to return for refund. I would have offered to have a look if you were local, but Berlin is just a bit too far to drop it off.

CristianC

Novice Member
Thank you very much!

I connected both speakers on the left side (one on the A and one to the B). Now both speakers work but it means i listen to mono and no stereo.

I opened it and it was full of dust that i cleaned up but i guess to make it work i would need to take it to a repair shop).

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom