1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony t.v & DVD Question

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Spunky, May 9, 2002.

1. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought a nice new sony t.v- 32fq75- yes i've read about what everyone thinks about them, and i seem to be one of the luck few who doesn't have a problem with it.
    But i've just come across something i've never noticed before, when watching dvds there is a noticable grain on areas that are the same colour.
    Now, i'm no expert and i honestly don't know an awful lot, so any help would be appreciated.
    Is this 'grain' normal?
    Is it to do with a bad dvd player/Scart/Faulty setup?
    I'm using a Sanyo avd-8501 dvd player- Not the best thing around, but seems pretty decent.
    Connected to the RGB scart with a profigold pgv782 SCART. I haven't messed with the service menu, just the normal user one.
    Also i've never set a t.v. up properly, so if anyones got any guides on doing it i'd be grateful.
    Ta,
    Spunky

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably due to a combination of the DVD player (Sanyo, renowned for making poor DVD players I'm afraid) and the scart cable (although I've no idea what sort of cable this is - if it's oxgen free, fully shielded, and has gold plated connectors, then it's good; if it isn't get an Ixos or a QED scart).

Also, check that the DVD player is outputting RGB. If it can't, then output S-Video. Then make sure that the scart socket on the TV is set to receive RGB or S-Video (as appropriate). RGB will probably need to be plugged into the first scart on the TV, S-Video will be okay in the other two (from what I know of this TV).

3. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn Sanyo!!!
    The Scarts O2 free, gold plated and fully shielded, so that should be alright, i've also set up t.v and dvd to output RGB, so it look like its down to a crappy sanyo player...... Agghhhhh. Looks like i'm going to have to go and start saving for a better system.
    Thanks squirrel.
    Spunky

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh, no worries :D

You also have to remember that a TV like the one you've got will show up the faults of any sub-standard equipment more, because of the picture clarity (minus the scrolling bars, which you say you don't have anyway :p).

Before condemning the Sanyo to the scrap heap, however, it might be worth consulting with someone who actually has the FQ75 to find out if maybe you have some of the digital picture settings set incorrectly.... Just a thought ....

Perhaps someone else can oblige Spunky here?? :D

Another thought that just occurs to me as well - try turning the sharpness level down on the telly ... that might fix it (although obviously if it makes the picture blurry then that's not a good alternative!).

And if, after all this, you do decide on a new DVD player- remember that you don't have to spend big bucks to get a decent one. It's just a case of knowing what you buy before you buy it - read some of the on-line reviews provided by magazines such as Home Cinema Choice (http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/)

Good luck! :)

5. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks squirrel, i've tried messing around with all the various settings in the user menu (i don't want to fiddle with the service one unless i have to). I'm looking to upgrade the player, and get an amp anyway, but that won't be for a little while yet.
    Guess i'll have to sit and bare it for a while.
    Ta
    Spunky

6. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It is usual to get some grain visible on large areas of a single colour (such as on a wall in the background of a scene). It's just a limitation of DVD technology and the original film print itself. It'll be exaagerated if you have the sharpness set quite hight on your TV. However, if it's bad enough to spoil your enjoyment of a film then it probably is a fault.

7. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did have an idea that it could be due to the compressing onto the dvd, and it is only noticeable on large areas of colours, it's not too much of a problem for now.
    Ta
    Spunky

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never experienced the problem with grain and I don't have a top of the range player (just an entry level Sony DVP NS300, but it did get cracking reviews).

However, it could indeed be due to the particular film transfer. As I don't own any dodgy transfers, I neglected to consider this point - my apologies.

If it shows up on all DVDs though, then I doubt it's that.