Sony SXRD v DLP

fishblues2

Ex Member
Reaction score
I have just been on holiday in the states, I had look around at the rear projection TV's and the quantity and quality of the sets over there has to be seen to be believed.

I have been thinking about buying a DLP set but I am having second thoughts after seeing the SONY SXRD sets, the PQ was astounding and as they use a 3 colour layer system not a colour wheel rainbow effects are not a problem.

1) Has anybody else seen these TV's, if so what did you think?
2) Does anybody Know when the SXRD sets will be released in the UK, the 50" SXRD currently retails for approx $4000.

No No No...

One should implement a Ban on USA TV Chat as it is a moot point!

The USA TVs will RARELY if EVER come here and even if you import it, you'll get taxed to hell, you'll have to change the voltage up, and what happens when your bulb dies, will you courier in one from America.

There is NO point talking about American TVs whatsoever. It's like me talking about how advanced the Cell Phones are in Japan and how they have 5 mega pixel cameras on their CellPhones... It's a waste of time, I know tons of folk and NO ONE will import them and it's in Japanese most the time with no English Option.

A lot of USA TV's will not be released in the UK but SONY have spent money on SXRD developing a technoligy that looks to be the future for them as far as rear pro TV's are concerned so its a matter of "when" not "if" these TV's are released in the UK and from what I saw they were far superior to the DLP sets and you have no rainbow effect.

It's not gonna happen.

Look at Sony Qualia - I was gonna drop 10,000 on buying the 70 Inch TV set when it was suppose to be released in December here - no danger now, they stripped the whole line!

kmhtkmhtkmht said:
It's not gonna happen.

Is that an opinion or do you have some knowledge.

I was already going to wait a whille before going Hi Def because from what I read on here while PQ is good the current batch of DLP sets available in the UK do not appear to be consistent in quality and reliablity.

Another 6 months will not hurt and from what I saw of the sony sets it will be worth the wait if they do come out of here.

Gordon is right the 70" was never meant to be realeased over here only the 55",they are due out around dec time,i was at weybridge sony's head quarters for some training a few months back they had 1 there in a box also they had a new blu-ray player (new slimmer version the only 1 outside japan)but not set up (top secret) :(

kourosh said:
Gordon is right the 70" was never meant to be realeased over here only the 55",they are due out around dec time,i was at weybridge sony's head quarters for some training a few months back they had 1 there in a box also they had a new blu-ray player (new slimmer version the only 1 outside japan)but not set up (top secret) :(

Did you get to see the TV in action, if so what did you think, the 1 I saw in the states was outstanding.

fishblues2 said:
Did you get to see the TV in action, if so what did you think, the 1 I saw in the states was outstanding.

sorry did not get to see it in action :( ,it was still boxed up :rolleyes: ,there has been many reviews saying the picture is excellent :thumbsup:

Its ment to have a very reflective screen. Great for doing your hair in. :D

Shame as I was looking forward to seeing the 70' in action.

Razor said:
Its ment to have a very reflective screen. Great for doing your hair in. :D

Shame as I was looking forward to seeing the 70' in action.

personal greeting removed(im such a naughty school boy)

we have the new sony 50" 3 lcd in today have bought my dvd to connect it via hdmi to see what its like will let you all know later :thumbsup:

kourosh said:
hi razor :hiya:

we have the new sony 50" 3 lcd in today have bought my dvd to connect it via hdmi to see what its like will let you all know later :thumbsup:

Lovely mate, will you be bagging one for yourself if they are good? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Has it got a reflective screen? :confused:

<personal greeting removed as per mod's request>

refective screens give a quality feel to a set and look better than a matt screen when switched off :thumbsup:
heavy glass screens suit me best as they tend to be cat claw proof :eek:

Lion said:
razor :hiya:

refective screens give a quality feel to a set and look better than a matt screen when switched off :thumbsup:
heavy glass screens suit me best as they tend to be cat claw proof :eek:

Reflective screen does make the set look nice when off, but this never happens in my house. The only time my set is off is when I am out of the house or asleep. :D

kmhtkmhtkmht said:
No No No...
One should implement a Ban on USA TV Chat as it is a moot point!
The USA TVs will RARELY if EVER come here and even if you import it, you'll get taxed to hell, you'll have to change the voltage up, and what happens when your bulb dies, will you courier in one from America.
I obviously disagree strongly with that for several reasons.

Firstly, we should be free to talk about what we want to, as long as we are not breaking the rules. No-one is under any obligation to post in a thread they disapprove of.

Secondly, USA TVs do come over hear, though in PAL versions. They just get them first, and give us an indication of what may be heading our way in the future. That's useful information if you're currently considering a 720p set, for example.

Finally, the original post made no mention of personnal importing. It's me that used to bang on about that. The OP was curious about when we might see TVs with this technology officially imported into the UK, and not about how to get them over here.

My tuppence worth, Nick

Razor said:
Lovely mate, will you be bagging one for yourself if they are good? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Has it got a reflective screen? :confused:

just set it up tv picture ok through freeview superbit gladiator through hdmi not to bad but not as good as my tosh :( shame im after a bigger screen but not a bad tv for £1399.99

Kourosh has posted on another thread that a Sony spokseman has told home cinema choice that the SXRD sets will be released in the UK next year. Just my opinion but I think anybody about to buy a DLP set should seriously consider waiting to look at these sets first, from what I saw they looked far superior to the 3LCD and DLP TV's and in the states they set the TV's up properly in the stores not like Comet and the rest over here.

I am certainly going to wait after all it is going to be while before a lot of HD material is available on SKY.

fishblues2 said:
Kourosh has posted on another thread that a Sony spokseman has told home cinema choice that the SXRD sets will be released in the UK next year. Just my opinion but I think anybody about to buy a DLP set should seriously consider waiting to look at these sets first, from what I saw they looked far superior to the 3LCD and DLP TV's and in the states they set the TV's up properly in the stores not like Comet and the rest over here.

I am certainly going to wait after all it is going to be while before a lot of HD material is available on SKY.

well said fishblue this tv will be awsome,i will be waiting for this as well :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom