Sony SXRD smaller screen size than current 55inch launch ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by just12310, Jan 1, 2007.

1. just12310

just12310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys and Happy New Year

I would like to ask of those members in the know, if Sony plan to launch a smaller version of the sxrd RPTV. I am really keen on this technolgy and was disapointed when a 55inch was launched instead of the hoped equivalent of the old US 50inch sxrd. The main reason is that the 55 is just too big for my lounge (confirmed by my wife when she saw it for real in John Lewis Bristol !).

I hope that older 3 LCD 50inch may be replaced by an SXRD version, or even a 45" launched some time in 2007.

Any on topic help would be welcomed by trade members or other sxrdphiles.

Please post me some good news on this topic :lease:

Cheers,

Just12310

2. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I'd also like to know this as my missus has also decided that 55" is too big for our living room. I feel your pain !

Depressingly, most of the suggestions that I've heard have been along the lines that 55" is probably going to be the minimum size. For reasons such as in 50-55" sizes 1080p becomes more of a noticeable advantage. Also because below 55", people prefer the convenience of buying a panel and being able to wall mount it.

I don't like plasma or LCD as much as RP but it seems that RP set sizes are only getting bigger.

Come on, someone bring out a nice sub 50" RP, pleeeeease :D

3. just12310

just12310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The pain runs deep for us both.

In the US the previous model was 50". I am hoping that the SXRD technology will be transferred to the 42" and 50" versions that currently use the 3LCD panel technology. This would make sense for Sony to enhance and widen the SXRD penetration into the marketplace and upgrade the old range.

The smaller SXRD size will make the new big tellie pill easier to swallow.

i am hoping someone in the trade will know of proposed changes to the Sony RPTV range in the next year or so.

New Year Cheers while we wait

Just12310

4. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Doubt it tbh. RPTVs cost advantage comes to the for for really large screens, as LCDs and plasmas still struggle to get over 50" without the price getting insane. If Sony build a 50", a lot of people will buy flatscreens instead, thus they choose to use their cost advantage in the very large HDTV sector

Also, 55" is on the low end of the size needed to see the benefit of 1080p at normal seating distances, and 50" just too small imo. You could consider several excellent 42" 720 line plasmas, like the Panasonic at £850 or so. Sure, you miss out on 1080p, but that's no loss if the set isn't big enough to show it off in the first place.

Alternatively, buy 32" CRT for normal TV viewing, and a 720p projector with a motorised screen for movies. That lot would cost you about the same as the 55" SXRD, and the 32" will be better for standard def stuff than a larger screen.

5. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Spot on, I reckon.

Nick

6. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    smaller than 55" ?!!!
    I'm waiting in anticipation for them to release a 100" version. :thumbsup: :D

7. Dave163

Dave163

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    They already have done. I think it's called a Pearl kitted up for rear projecting onto the screen size of your choice.:thumbsup:

But back to the OP, I'd love a smaller SXRD too. Can't get a 56 incher through the door, but judging by the local AV store (Soho road in Birmingham, which has both the 56 inch AND 70 inch demoing), these beasts send plasma and LCD out the window.

8. Divide by zero

Divide by zero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I have ordered my 55" (that I don't really have the room for) and am now just wainting impatiently!!!

9. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    We can live in hope ! Cheers !

Lucky Sod ! I'd quite happilly order one too, despite not having room for it :)

Dunno if it would fit in the shed after the missus kicks me and the TV out though :D

10. just12310

just12310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony must appreciate that a competively prices smaller SXRD TV say in 42" or 46" will blow away Plasma and LCD screens.

Some people (like myself) prefer a set with a bit of depth like a traditional TV, which makes them more stable when freestanding. Also Plasma`s tend to suffer from screen burn and LCD`s suffer from not showing dark scenes too well due to the back light. Here is where the SXRD will shine.

Appreciate the point that 1080i only benefits viewing on super large screens, but this standard will become the norm on all sizes for compatibility.

Hoping the 50A2012 3LCD is put to bed soon an upgraded to SXRD!

Come on Sony :lease: