1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Neil69, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, I recently went to The Trafford Centre, near Manchester. In the Sony Centre I saw a huge Sony sub for £350. It had 2 12" speakers in the box & had a kilowatt output. It sounded awful. Too much thud & not enough depth. It doesn't sound nearly as good as my Tannoy MS10 sub.
    Cheers, Neil
    :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Probably just badly adjusted? :blush:

How could a company the size of Sony possibly make bad subwoofers? :devil:

Delighted you're happy with your own sub. That's what it's all about. :)

It's always nice to get home and be able to listen to somethig that beats the socks off anything you heard at a big AV show or posh dealers. :cool:

Cheers
    Nimby

3. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For £350 there are cracking subs available.

Velodyne CHT-10R (£350)
    BK XLS200 (£280)
    KEF PSW3000 (£350 from Superfi - RRP £600!)

4. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    at an independant dealers i asked about a Yamaha sub with a 1000w amp and his advice was Yamaha make hundreds of products, if they make a bad sub then it won't affect them, however if Rel or MJ make a bad sub they're screwed, I find this to be the case with many 5.1 packages, a lot (not all) of excellent speaker companies seem to come up with average subs so you can have an aesthetically pleasing system, maybe more companies should partner up so you can buy the 5 from one brand and .1 from another?

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I still think the Sony and definitely the big Yammy would capable of some serious foundation shaking. If someone offered to swap the 1000W Yammy for my BK I'd be sorely tempted, but then again it probably costs 2 or 3 times as much?

Having said that my diminutive BK just keeps on getting better and better. Listened to 'Saltwater' by Chicane yesterday, the low end extension was seriously earth moving...PJ

6. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJ,

hmm, Saltwater, think i've got that one somewhere, i'll have to try it on mine. Can you think of any other dance artists that make good quality productions. I have loads of dance CDs which sound awful when played through a decent system. As you will know, most dance music is very bad quality :(

7. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    without having heard the sony or yammy I have no idea what they sound or perform like, but its all about integrating technology, by adding a 15 inch driver or a 1000w amp might look good on paper, but from what you say about the BK its about getting the integration right. The BK sounds like an excellent mid range sub, in an ideal world i'd like to add maybe a BK to my centre speaker for enhanced AV and a larger more powerful beast for combined movie LFE and music (into the ability to have high and low connectors simultaneously, this is a great step forward IMHO in sub technology). At a recent show heard the Lucid point 1 sub developed by CSE solutions (parasound/bryston) priced at around £500, it actually sounded better than two Rel storms, the dealer says he'll let me demo one at home so i'm saving my pennies and can't wait :D
    As for 'dance' music if your into some drum and bass, test your low end with LTJ Bukem - Logical Progression or Aphrodite - Aftershock, I promise you won't be disappointed :cool:

8. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The d'n'b of Dillinja and Bad Company is pretty awesome for low-end too