1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STRVA555ES Receiver questions.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by captaindobie, Dec 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello.
    I have recently purchased one of these excellent receivers (thanks Dimmy!) but have a few questions that need answered.
    So for all those people who own, or have owned, this unit can you answer the following for me?

1. I have a Pioneer DVDA/SACD player connected via 5.1 channel analogue input 1 and SKY + connected via optical cable. I have set the receiver to decode SKY+ using DPL II (which is my first experience of this sound format - and it works extremely well.)
    When i switch the receiver to playback CD/DVDA/SACD discs (analogue input 1) all is well (i am aware that you can't apply any soundfields to this format) but the problem begins when i switch the receiver back to SKY+. Despite having the remember soundfield setting to on - the receiver does NOT appear to remember that i am decoding using DPL II and i have to re-set manually. Is there a way round this? Is it because i am switching between an analogue and digital source??

2. Is it possible for the reciever to remember the volume settings for each input? (can't see anything in the manual - can't be blamed for that though as the manual might as well be in Greek!)

3. When playing back CD (via the 5 channel analogue input) the sound is a little bright for my tastes. Can i assume that changing the frequency settings for the front L+R speakers will sort this out? (currently set @ 2.5khz)

4. I have crossover set @ 100hz (still experimenting with this) and i also own a rather cheap sub (i know, i know - upgrade next year hopefully). Does the individual bass speaker settings have any effect on this (they are all currently set @ 250hz)

Sorry, as this may seem a little basic for most, but we all have to start somewhere!
    Many thanks in advance...:blush:

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1. Should remember.

Don't you just toggle between pressing "multi channel direct" button for the analogue input & then "Mode -" or "Mode +" to go back to the Sky feed. (I think you can only apply DPL II on "Normal Surround" )