1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony STRE597 5.1 OR 6.1 ??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by moblies, May 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. moblies

moblies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony STRE597 AMP, I understood it was a 6.1 surrond sound, but from what I read Dolby Prologic IIx is 6.1 and 7.1. The sony is only Prologic II. the manual indicates its DTS Neo 6 ??

It has a centre rear speacker so am now confused ?? whats the deal with 5.1 6.1 and 7.1, every DVD i buy seems to be 5.1 anyway.

What use is this Neo 6 ?

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    neo 6 is like pro logic 2x, it makes 6.1 from a 2.0 source. pro logic 2 makes a 5.1 from a 2.0 source, 2x makes 6.1 from a 2.0 source. 5.1 and 6.1 relate to dvds. Lord of the rings is in 6.1, however the sixth channel is matrix encoded into the LS and RS, so 6.1 relates to dvd, pro logic and dts neo are just added bonuses that improve tv broadcasts, but not to the same standard as dvds.

Also note that any 5.1 dvd can be matrix decoded to make a 6.1 soundtrack, although beware that i had a str-de697 and it suffered terrible lipsync on dts neo 6 and any 6.1 source or 5.1 matrixed to 6.1 or any dts source. It was too slow for me, i expect the 597 is the same.

Finally i think the str-de597 (and 697) are to be replaced with 598(and 698)s soon.

3. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS Neo:6 (a 6.1 format) is an alternative to Dolby Prologic 2. I've found that it isn't great at decoding sources with surround elements but seems to work rather nicely for music. Same situation on my Yamaha amp, wish they'd included Prologic 2x

This leaves you with only three ways of using the rear-centre. DTS Neo:6 or playing films with Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES 6.1 soundtracks. There arent many titles out there that have EX/ES. Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, Final Destination 2, are some that do. There is nothing to stop you turning the 6.1 matrix decoder on for 5.1 sound-tracks though :)

4. moblies

moblies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, it confuses the hell out of me!. I only just got it and it seemed a good buy at the time sub £300 with speakers, considering i was in a local Sony shop yesterday and see the older 497 model (5.1) for £299 with all the speakers.

If I've understood it neo 6 and Dolby digital EX basically does the same Job as Prologic IIX assuming the film is encoded. not sure why they need digital EX and Prologic IIX? but It does seem to work well on Music CD'S

Thanks again