Answered Sony STRDN1080 vs Onkyo TXNR676 vs ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mark121, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
?
  1. Sony DN1080

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Onkyo TXNR676

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mark121

Mark121
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello everyone,

I've recently upgraded my TV and console to 4k and am considering upgrading my amp so I'm all setup.

I've an Onkyo TRX-609 at the moment, had it for just over 5 years, purchased from Richer Sounds.

After looking around I see Denon and Sony have had a lot of praise, with the Sony DN1080 winning an award recently.

Contacted Richer Sounds to ask for their recommendation and they suggested the Onkyo TXNR 676 offering it to me for £500.

Anyone any feedback on either of these? Or have other suggestions instead of these?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by phargrave, Nov 25, 2017 (1 points)
  3. bumpymark

bumpymark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi mark,I recently purchased the onkyo,also from richer sounds ,so far very impressed with it,good facilities and the sound quality is excellent,the one thing I do like is the remote isn't button heavy,but it's
    easy to navigate the menus,highly recommended.

4. Mark121

Mark121
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Brilliant feedback, thanks. The remote isn't an issue for me as I use the Harmony Hub to control everything, made life much easier than having loads of remotes with loads of buttons knocking around! But good to know if I do need to use it it's not going to be very confusing.

5. phargrave

phargrave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Best Answer
    Same here mate - I also have the NR609 and like you was looking at upgrading to the DN1080.
    I also contacted RS and they gave me the same advise (which makes me suspicious ) I’m calling in on Monday but they said they can’t demo anything due to being busy with Black Friday & Cyber Monday coming up.

My main concern is that I would like to see a substantial difference- especially though the centre channel as dialogue is not always easy to follow

Any advice from any forum members would be greatly appreciated

6. bumpymark

bumpymark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Re the centre channel,on the onkyo theres a button on.the remote you press to bring a sub menu up alter the sub and centre's level without having to delve into main menu,it works great to.increase the centre speaker level.

7. AudioFan

AudioFan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,

I’m in the same boat. Currently have monitor audio RS speakers and a Yamaha RXV1900 which I’m looking to upgrade the AVR to support 4K/HDR and Atmos content and went to RS to look at the Sony. 3 members of staff (including the manager) all said go for the Onkyo as they found the Sony sounded a bit shoe box like. I ended up leaving with the Onkyo but haven’t opened the box yet as I’m still tempted to swap it for the Sony.

I find it hard to believe that the Sony would sound like that given all the positive reviews it’s received but the features of the Onkyo were very appealing. My speakers are apparently on the bright side so don’t want anything too bright (that isn’t manageable via the EQ).

It would be great to get people’s thoughts. Also, I’m surprised to see very little in terms of reviews for the Onkyo.

Thanks.

8. Mark121

Mark121
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Great tip, I've also had occasions where this has been a problem.

9. Mark121

Mark121
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well either they're consistent with advice, or they really want to shift some of these! I may ask the same question of other RicherSound like shops and see what they say.

I've been offered a demo of both, I can understand them not wanting to set something up over such a busy weekend, so I may check them out in the coming weeks.

10. Mark121

Mark121
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Contacted Superfi who gave another couple of suggestions:

Answering your question I would recommend the Denon AVRX2400

It features WiFi, Bluetooth, Airplay connections, Internet Radio, has Dolby Atmos and DTS-X decoders, and is capable of reproducing Hi-resolution files due to its 24bit-192kHz DAC.

Another option, if you think receivers are usually huge, would be the ultra-slim Marantz NR1608

So I've now got even more to choose from! Best get doing some additional research.

11. phargrave

phargrave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It’s a minefield......”

12. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I am also considering the Onkyo 676 against the highly acclaimed Sony 1080.

I think the Denon 2400 is not as good as the 1080 so ruled that out.

There are hardly any reviews of the Onkyo so interested to hear what you bought in the end and any other opinions on how these two AV Receivers compare.

13. Mark121

Mark121
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I went with the Sony 1080 in the end. At the time I managed to get it at a lower rate from Richer Sounds and overall the internet seemed to favour the Sony. I'd had an Onkyo and while it was generally very good I did have to take it in for a repair so thought I'd try a different brand.

The Sony is very easy to setup, good it's got Spotify Connect built in as I do make use of that and it works well with my Minx speaker setup. Enough inputs for all my stuff and works fine with my Logitech Harmony remote.

The only odd thing I've noticed is that sometimes, randomly, when the amp is turned on it loads up it's home menu screen and I have to exit that screen. No idea why it does that, it doesn't happen often but when it does it can cause confusion for others in the house.

14. lebellium

lebellium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    The "home menu screen" bug is well known on the forums here but we don't know if Sony is aware of it and if it will get fixed some day...

15. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,118
    The thing to do then is to contact Sony and inform them of the issue. Maybe suggest that anyone else also experiencing this also contact Sony about it. The more reports Sony receive then the greater the chances are that Sony will look further into it and look for a solution.